Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2006 1:52:37 PM EDT
I talked to a fellow today that said: (I take the old lacquer finished Wolf ammo and run it in a tumbler to remove the finish. Since doing that, it has worked flawlessly.)
Now, it seems to me that would be pretty hard on the rifle.
Anyone ever hear of this?

avery53
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I only used the 9mm lacquer stuff but never had a problem with it. What is the affliction he's trying to cure by tumbling the ammo?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know why it wouldn't work flawlessly before he removed the lacquer finish.

His time would be better spent polishing his belt buckles or some other mindless task.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't see how tumbling it is going to remove the laquer which is a oil based finish and hard to remove without certain chemicals and I don't see corn cobb or walnut shells removing laquer.  People come up with all kinds of stories about Wolf and most of them are either bullshit or if they had trouble with it it's usally something wrong with their weapon or mag.  Just add this one to the thousands of BS wolf stories
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I do not like wolf, except in an SKS.  But that story is retarted
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:30:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't see how tumbling it is going to remove the laquer which is a oil based finish and hard to remove without certain chemicals and I don't see corn cobb or walnut shells removing laquer.  People come up with all kinds of stories about Wolf and most of them are either bullshit or if they had trouble with it it's usally something wrong with their weapon or mag.  Just add this one to the thousands of BS wolf stories

Not to nit-pick (oh, what the heck. I looooove to nit pick ), but lacquer is a nitrocellulose resin in a quick-drying solvent base. The solvent evaporates, the nitrocellulose resin stays behind. Lacquer is easy to apply and repair, but not very durable. I sincerely doubt that what everyone calls "lacquer" was even remotely related to lacquer but something much tougher.

your probably right, I never even thought about if it is really laquer or not.  I have a painting business and just thinking about what a pain in the ass laquer is to remove off of things I was thinking it would be impossible to get it off in a tumbler.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:45:01 AM EDT
[#8]
There is one way to prove or disprove it.  Someone needs to try it and post pics
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't see how removing a coating that's supposed to prevent the CASES FROM RUSTING would be "hard on the rifle."  That is the ONLY real purpose to lacquer/polymer/whatever coating on steel cartridge cases.  Ever see "Silver Bear" cases?  They're zinc coated.  "Golden Bear?"  Brass coated.  All to protect the soft steel of the case from rust.

And Zuhkov's right about the "lacquer" on these cases not being actual lacquer.  Though there ARE different kinds of lacquer; ammunition lacquer, such as what's used to seal U.S. primers, is specifically a nitrocellulose-based product.  "Traditional" lacquer is related to shellac, which is based on secretions of the lac insect, (Laccifer lacca or Coccus lacca), in an alcohol-based solvent.  Note that lacquers and shellac are both NATURAL polymers (shellac is actually a thermoplastic, since it can be molded under heat and pressure).
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#10]
How about this one.

I need to charge 8.00 a box because it is Russian Military Ammo for their Special Operations soilders who use M4s.  I have one of those here $1500 (Vulcan upper) and a Eotech.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is one way to prove or disprove it.  Someone needs to try it and post pics

Good idea.

Lacquer on Wolf does exactly nothing.  Doesn't matter.

Steel cased ammo allows dirty carbon to get into the chamber and can lead to problems if you don't clean it out.

See here:  Shooting Wolf Ammo

Shoot Wolf and enjoy it.  I do.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top