Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2006 4:33:32 AM EDT
Yup, the .30-06 surplus is just about the same price as the .223 I see.

Good for the Garand, bad for the AR.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#1]
gotta love the CMP
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
gotta love the CMP

You got that right.  If anyone hasn't stocked up on .30-06 from CMP they could be in for a big unpleasant surprise in the future.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
gotta love the CMP

You got that right.  If anyone hasn't stocked up on .30-06 from CMP they could be in for a big unpleasant surprise in the future.  

Should I wait until my SG Garand I ordered in November arrives?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
gotta love the CMP

Should I wait until my SG Garand I ordered in November arrives?

I would buy the ammo now.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yup, the .30-06 surplus is just about the same price as the .223 I see.

Good for the Garand, bad for the AR.

Unless you want to shoot the EVIL steel case WOLF ammo in the 223

The Evil Wolf runs just fine in my AR's.....................bring in the WOLF HATERS
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
"I would buy the ammo now. "

Orest answered a post about the Greek .30-06 availability and said that there was literally millions of rounds left, enough to last for several years. That is just the Greek, there is also a lot of Lake City left as well. Even if everybody starts buying it up I would expect it to last a year or two. It just is not as popular as other rounds due to fewer rifles, other than Garands, out there to use it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Orest answered a post about the Greek .30-06 availability and said that there was literally millions of rounds left, enough to last for several years. That is just the Greek, there is also a lot of Lake City left as well. Even if everybody starts buying it up I would expect it to last a year or two. It just is not as popular as other rounds due to fewer rifles, other than Garands, out there to use it.

After seeing the price of all ammo rising, especially .308, I would be very surprised if there isn't any serious hording of .30-06 M2 going on.  I saw no reason to wait.  It's cheap, great surplus, and made for the Garand.  
I do agree there are fewer Garands out there and when I take a Garand to the range I go through much less ammo than a AR.  I hope it does last for a long time but what's going to replace it?  If there is more surplus out there it surely will not be as pure as the Greek or as cheap.  That Garand ammo is like water front property.  They don't make it anymore, except the new Federal made for CMP.  Some day we will be talking about the Greek like we are about the SA.  When that day comes I will not be saying, I should have bought more. Ah, the good old days.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

After seeing the price of all ammo rising, especially .308, I would be very surprised if there isn't any serious hording of .30-06 M2 going on.  I saw no reason to wait.  It's cheap, great surplus, and made for the Garand.  
I do agree there are fewer Garands out there and when I take a Garand to the range I go through much less ammo than a AR.  I hope it does last for a long time but what's going to replace it?  If there is more surplus out there it surely will not be as pure as the Greek or as cheap.  That Garand ammo is like water front property.  They don't make it anymore, except the new Federal made for CMP.  Some day we will be talking about the Greek like we are about the SA.  When that day comes I will not be saying, I should have bought more. Ah, the good old days.

I pretty much agree with the above, I've seen 30/06 surp start selling quite a bit faster lately at the shows, and it's all coming from the CMP.

Lot of guns out there that shoot 30/06, it's not like Garands are the only ones. With most of the other surp gone save for the KA stuff, people will shift over to the CMP stuff when they need to. I doubt it'll last as long as has been estimated.

Surp supplys run out fast as other sources dry up. Sales pick up speed as quantities run out on other makes, soon there are just one or two makes left and the estimated you might make in the past are moot and out of date.

Think about what ought 6 surp is left out there and start looking at who is selling CMP'ed ammo. It's the same guys that USED to sell the other stuff. Also price new ought 6 stuff, the more it increases in price, the more people will jump to surp. Exactly why did YOU start buying surplus initially?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:I would buy the ammo now.  

meh i hear they have a massive warehouse of this stuff stacked to the roof, i'm getting ready to buy a case or 2 for my garand
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top