Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2006 5:44:59 AM EDT
Looking for the best weight bullet for accuracy up to approx. 300 yards.  I know it'll shoot everything from 55 grain on up but wanting to stay with one bullet weight for all conditions with long range being the most cruical.  Up close CQB accuracy won't really be an issue.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Most (typical) 1:7 barrels seem to like bullets in the mid-to-high 60 grain weights. My AR15 likes 68gr and 69gr ammo from either UltraMax and Black Hills. This gun also likes M262 (77 gr). Overall, there is not a lot of difference as I can get hunting accuracy from anything between 52gr and 80 gr. The better match ammo simply makes the worst groups closer to the best groups in size.

But since your gun is different than mine, you should run a box (50 rnds) of each ammo you can find (afford) through your gun and take careful notes of the accuracy of the 10 round groups. This will give you a starting point.

From there you can buy bullets and reload from this starting point until you find that one combination that your guns shoots to perfection.

Good shooting
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#3]
.223 pressure (not 5.56 pressure) 77 grain Sierra bullet
.223 pressure 69 grain Sierra bullet

Those will be your best bets.  Look at Federal and Black Hills.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks............this will be hitting steel plates from 200 to 300 yards and some cqb targets up close.  I want to try to zero in on a good typical weight.  Just looking for some ideas to begin with.  (I'm in the process of parting/putting together a gun now).  I won't be reloading since the round count will be high.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a question I'm asking myself.  I'm hoping to make a compromise somewhere and not shoot 100% match grade ammo.  I have got approx. 1500 rounds of 55 gr. Black hills but not the ideal bullet weight although I think it'd shoot fairly accurate. Just as an example Georgia Arms....their match grade ammo is $100.00 more per 1000 than the "run of the mill" 55 grain ammo.  Over the course of a year it adds up, yes that concerns me.

I do reload but pistol only (3 gun, IDPA and some IPSC), that's enough right now.  

Now I'm thinking........will a 55 grain preform (300 yard steel plates, no biggie, just hit them as quick as you can and go) in a 1:7 16" barrel (say Black hills ammo) like I want or should I look at other barrel options say a 1:8 twist (I currently shoot a 1:9 Bushmaster).

I haven't bought yet but, I was looking at Denny's or a White Oak.  Since I'm putting it together I want the best bang for the buck.  A match grade barrel is what I'm leaning toward. I know this has gotten a bit off the subject.......but thanks for your response.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#8]
My Defender 2000 M4

#1  Black Hills  Blue Box 77gr is Tops

#2 Black Hills Blue box 75gr is very accurate with a cann. bullet

I use the Black Hills 75gr for protection.

#3 The MK262 white box is very accurate and HOT !  ( Hats off)

but the 223 Black hills 77gr is better in terms of accuracy

Since the Black Hills Blue Box 77gr is so accurate I stop looking for better rounds for TARGETS

I would buy a couple of boxes and see

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top