Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2006 6:41:55 AM EDT
Went to the range and shot some red box Hornady TAP 75grn.  Went through 40 rounds and three of them had holes through the primer where the firing pin struck it.
Has anyone else had this experience?  What would cause it?  

I just got off the phone with Hornady will let you know what happens.

Link Posted: 10/6/2006 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Too big of a firing pin hole in your bolt would be one explanation.  Soft primer would be the other.  Do you pierce primers with any other loads?
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#2]
No, I have fired allot of rounds of XM193 and regular black box TAP 75grn with no problems.  I think this is the earlier version of the tap, maybe older ammo.  It doesn't have the same bullet profile as the Black cased Tap I have been buying lately.  I have new White Oak Recon barrel with new bolt so it is not worn at all.  Just seemed to have week primers.

Thanks Jeff
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#3]
How do the unpierced primers look?  any cratered or flat primers, or other signs of over-pressure?
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Some where really flat.  The primers don't look like they are crimped also.
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Also check your firing pin for damage and make sure it isn't erroded or pointy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Peirced primers usually leave a "dimple" in the center of the pin, after you have had a few of them, the pin is probably dimpled enough you may want to replace it. Clean and examine the end of the firing pin, and if you think you see anything like a dimple or crater, replace it.

Does M193, or any other hot load, show signs of excessive pressure in the gun?
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Peirced primers usually leave a "dimple" in the center of the pin, after you have had a few of them, the pin is probably dimpled enough you may want to replace it. Clean and examine the end of the firing pin, and if you think you see anything like a dimple or crater, replace it.

No, it dose not have another problems with any other ammo including Black box TAP. I will examine my firing pin tonight.
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it dose not have another problems with any other ammo including Black box TAP. I will examine my firing pin tonight.

Maybe call hornady with your lot number?  No matter what, I would not shoot any more of this particular ammo.
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

Check the tip of your FP and replace it if its not perfectly smooth. the problem may be the bolt, FP or BC and not necessarily the ammo.
Link Posted: 10/9/2006 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Had three rounds do this out of 40.
Link Posted: 10/9/2006 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Had three rounds do this out of 40.

You might want to get a Firing Pin Protrusion Gauge to check that you don't have too much or too little protrusion of the Firing Pin past the Bolt Face.

It is uncommon, but tolerance stacking can result in out-of-spec Firing Pin Protrusion in ARs.  Usually you can just swap to a different Firing Pin and that resolves the problem.  But you do need the gauge to easily check this measurement.

Futuristic
Link Posted: 10/9/2006 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Got a pic of your firing pin?
Link Posted: 10/9/2006 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Got a pic of your firing pin?

It is pited now, but other than that it looked fine before the problem.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Well have a nice new shinny box from Hornady.  Sent me a replacement box of TAP for the unfired box I sent them.  Didn't  tell me for Sure what was wrong with the ammo. The tech said they tested it and  it was out of specifications and was probably over pressure.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top