Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2006 8:35:58 PM EDT
Satuday I took my new build out to shoot. (DPMS 11.5" w/5" FH chromelined all the way.) and my 16" RRA m4 chromeline upper(720rds down the barrel). I shot Guat, 62gr wolfpoly, and some adcom. After minor tuning to my 4xscope I had the DPMS grouping at least .5"  better with each load From 50-75yds. Any experience?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Satuday I took my new build out to shoot. (DPMS 11.5" w/5" FH chromelined all the way.) and my 16" RRA m4 chromeline upper(720rds down the barrel). I shot Guat, 62gr wolfpoly, and some adcom. After minor tuning to my 4xscope I had the DPMS grouping at least .5"  better with each load From 50-75yds. Any experience?

Barrel length has little to do with accuracy potential.  A longer barrel is not necessarily more accurate than a shorter one, even of the same design.  Longer barrels just generally create more velocity than a shorter one, with the same ammo.

Barrel *quality* makes more of a difference here - the quality of the blank, materials used, rifling design, and throat/chamber design and finish.

It may be that your short barrel just liked that ammo you were using today.  It may be that your longer barrel just pushed the bullets you were using faster than they like to be pushed.  That being said - NONE of those ammo types you listed are known for grouping at all, anyway.  Guat surplus, while very hot, grouped horribly for me, in comparison to all other surplus/M193 I tested.  Russian Wolf always groups pretty poorly as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Which, if any of your barrels were free floated?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Not unusual....shorter barrels are stiffer, therefore deflect less & have higher accuracy potential than longer ones, other factors held constant. its a trade-off thing....and there is alwayas a point of diminishing returns to each feature.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Non Free floating. Fal you are right about  them not being known for accuracy. I might have a new best toy now. At least for 150yds under(11.5 dpms w/5" FH). Thanks for the insight FAL.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top