Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2006 8:21:05 AM EDT
Glance around the Web at some sites and you Will see that true SURPLUS is being supplanted by new non milsurp ammo on their sites. Been noticing it for a while now, and it is accellerating. The days of cheap milsurp are nearing the end. I am not talking about XM193 and 855 but the foreign stuff. Even AIM is restocking in a lot of new stuff more and more.

One day, we will be looking for it and it just won't be there anymore. Ammo sellers gotta do what they gotta do, and if you can't get surplus you get new production. It's happening.

I regret not starting to stock up a bit earlier then I did, I'm probably better off then most, but it's the passing of an era of ships lying low in the water loaded down with cheap blasting ammo.

Start looking around and you will see what I am saying.

I am NOT saying that surp is not out there, cause it is, just that dealers are replacing inventory with NEW stuff as they run out. There can be only one obvious conclusion, they are not able to get it right now and need something else to sell.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't call this "the end, the very end, the very fucking end" just yet. There seems to be an ebb and flow of the mil-surp market; and not just ammo, I remember when Army Surplus stores sold Army surplus stuff, not Asian knock-offs.  While I do think the next couple of years will be tighter than what we're used to, and the UN regs will have some impact, I do not believe this is the bitter end of surplus ammo.

Countries will continue to stockpile, and stockpiles will continue to be surplused.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I wouldn't call this "the end, the very end, the very fucking end" just yet. There seems to be an ebb and flow of the mil-surp market; and not just ammo, I remember when Army Surplus stores sold Army surplus stuff, not Asian knock-offs.  While I do think the next couple of years will be tighter than what we're used to, and the UN regs will have some impact, I do not believe this is the bitter end of surplus ammo.

Countries will continue to stockpile, and stockpiles will continue to be surplused.

Countries that used to surplus ammo no longer do already, it's being demilled, made into fertilizer, or dumped. I never said all surplus would cease to be sold, what I said was dealers who used to sell mainly surplus are getting into new ammo sales instead, which is telling me that they are unsure if enough surplus wll be coming in to resupply them.

Plenty of milsurp army junk up here for sale. Most of which is outdated. Even civi stuff is better nowadays then a lot of old mil surplus.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
<snip>

One day, we will be looking for it and it just won't be there anymore. Ammo sellers gotta do what they gotta do, and if you can't get surplus you get new production. It's happening.

<snip>

Quoted:
Countries that used to surplus ammo no longer do already, it's being demilled, made into fertilizer, or dumped. I never said all surplus would cease to be sold, what I said was dealers who used to sell mainly surplus are getting into new ammo sales instead, which is telling me that they are unsure if enough surplus wll be coming in to resupply them.

Plenty of milsurp army junk up here for sale. Most of which is outdated. Even civi stuff is better nowadays then a lot of old mil surplus.

Sure sounded like it to me.

It is a fact that ammo dealers are starting to stock new commercial ammo instead of mil-surp, and the mil-surp supply is indeed drying up. I think it's been pretty obvious for a while that cheap mil-surp is drying up, and we'll probably never see deals like we have right now - maybe I noticed sooner because I'm a .308aholic.

We definately agree on one thing - the time to buy is now! (But don't tell everyone - they'll start buying it up, too!)
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

<snip>

Quoted:

Sure sounded like it to me.

It is a fact that ammo dealers are starting to stock new commercial ammo instead of mil-surp, and the mil-surp supply is indeed drying up. I think it's been pretty obvious for a while that cheap mil-surp is drying up, and we'll probably never see deals like we have right now - maybe I noticed sooner because I'm a .308aholic.

We definately agree on one thing - the time to buy is now! (But don't tell everyone - they'll start buying it up, too!)

In certain calibers it will be true. Most of what I see anymore is 8MM, 7.62x54 [craploads of that stuff] some 5.56 [mostly guat and RG] a bit of 7.62x25, some 7.62x39, [goes quick] and .308.
From what I can tell, most other places gets their Guat and SA .308 from AIM. Even the dealer I buy from locally admits that is where he gets it. There is other stuff out there but not in calibers that are shot in huge numbers.  Remember, I said CHEAP milsurp, not ALL milsurp.

And I'm with you, I have put up a huge stock of 7.62Nato. Port, SA, Aussie, Malaysian. I really want to buy more but I need to put some cash away. I ran across some great deals last show on some really nice stuff, cheap.

I am curious as to exactly how many ammo import companies exist.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top