Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/13/2006 9:07:00 PM EDT
I’d like to go out and test some 75 gr TAP FPD through a 14.5 1/9” twist Bushmaster barrel to see if it reliably stabilizes the round, but I’m limited in range to 50 yards.

Is there a general range at which unstable rounds keyhole?  Say... before 50 yards?  If the round doesn’t keyhole within 50 yards, but is unstable, I’ll never know, so I just wanted to see if there was some information on this.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
you'll know in 20 yards or so.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
For home-defense, a 75gr TAP out of a 1/12 would be fantastic. Would be like firing little saw-blades at the badguy.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For home-defense, a 75gr TAP out of a 1/12 would be fantastic. Would be like firing little saw-blades at the badguy.

Actually, tumbling before impact is the last thing you want in order to promote effective wounding.  Typically you will get severe under-penetration.  The entry wound will look pretty, but that's hardly enough to guarantee stopping power.

What needs to happen is penetration followed by tumbling and then fragmentation.  This would probably happen anyway with 75gr TAP in a 1/12 at the typical engagement distances inside a home since the round should still be pointing pretty much point forward.

Read the ammo oracle for more info on this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]
87 meters!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
87 meters!

I never know what this means, but it's still funny to me!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#6]

It's some super, uber, secret club thing......................and I don't know either but yes it is still funny.  Once you have been on here a week or two you can see it coming.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
and I don't know either but yes it is still funny.

It's the standard answer to a question that is anything but standard... such as the above!  Bullet stabilization is unique to the multitude of variables in any one shooter's setup.  There's no one across the board answer to the question.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Using 62gr, my rifles(1:12 twist) keyholed at 25yds and stabilized at 200yds.

I changed the barrels on both to a 1:7 and a 1:9.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the standard answer to a question that is anything but standard... such as the above!  Bullet stabilization is unique to the multitude of variables in any one shooter's setup.  There's no one across the board answer to the question.

Haha, yeah... I guess I should have expected 87 at some point.

I realize there are a lot of variables, I was just wondering what people had experienced.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I had some 40 grain JHP varmint rounds keyhole at just 10 meters out of a 20" 1/7 HBAR.  Surprised me, but about half of the 40 rounds I shot keyholed at that short range.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree completely.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top