Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2006 8:37:58 AM EDT
Anyone have details on the DEA ammo used in their RRA rifles?  I was told by a recruiter it is a 60 grain load.  Is that right?  He didnt seem to know much about weapons and ammo but loved his RRA and EOthingy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Was he a crack shot?

nevermind... this ain't GD.  I doth repent.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#2]
tag for useless trivia knowledge.

I'd imagine it'd be something optimal for the 1:9 twist, maybe a 62 grain...but who knows.  You may want to contact Pete from Legal Transfers...he's always barking about RRA & the DEA....or that Glock 40 DEA guy, I'm sure he has some free time on his hands.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
If I recall correctly, they used FAE 55 grain for training, and Federal 64-grain as their duty ammo.

Haven't read all the articles on the RRA DEA carbine in a while.  I can verify the above later on, unless someone comes along and confirms or says something different
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#4]
He said it was a "new" load specifically for the DEA. Then again this was a recruituing seminar and everything was wonderful and new about the DEA. I thought it odd he also said CTC grips were specifically banned on duty pistols because all the dots moving around the room confused people as to which dot was their dot. I did get to see a neat video of a DEA agent killing a drug dealer with a 12ga when the bust went bad and the guy tried to rip off the undercover agent at gunpoint.  I think this 60 grain load might be a mistake.  Someone said it might be a Nosler load? What weight is the Nosler partition?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The Virginia State Police uses a 60 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet, perhaps the same thing the DEA uses?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The Virginia State Police uses a 60 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet, perhaps the same thing the DEA uses?

Thats a 62 TBBC. Partition is actually a 60. Noone knows?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#8]
That is correct.  They train with FMJ 55 grain,  but that is their duty round.  Marketed and packaged slightly different according to a friend of mine at the FBI.  Apparently they do some training together????
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I forget the details, but all the articles I read when the RRA rifle came out said it was a 62gr bonded bullet of one sort or another.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Glock 40 for the foot shots!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a 62 TBBC. Partition is actually a 60. Noone knows?

Ahhh thanks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Press Releases

Winchester Wins Multiple Awards For Duty And Training .223 Ammunition For The FBI

8/30/2005
Winchester Ammunition has recently won the competition for .223 duty and training ammunition for the Federal Bureau of Investigation.  In order to meet the tough standards established by the FBI for their duty ammunition, Winchester collaborated with Nosler® and used their outstanding .223, 60 gr. Partition® Bullet.  This high performance bullet, coupled with Winchester’s stringent loading capabilities, provided the balance between penetration, expansion and retained weight through all of the barriers in the tough FBI Barrier Testing.

The training ammunition also posed unique challenges in that it had to be completely non-toxic.  Winchester met this challenge with our Super Clean NT® product which features a 55 gr. copper jacketed knurled tin bullet and non-toxic primer, and Winchester met the accuracy and reliability that the FBI requires in their duty and training ammunition.

This new Winchester Ranger® Partition product will be available soon to all Law Enforcement Agencies under the symbol Q3283.  The Super Clean NT jacketed tin core product is currently available under the symbol Q3262.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#13]
One article I read a few months back the guy would only say he worked for one of the Agencies and stated that they use (his agency which I don't know) 55 Federal Hp's.  Take it for what it's worth....probably shit.  Also stated that they are very effective out of his M4
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#14]
No OTMs?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#15]
DEA uses the Federal Tactical 62gr load.  I have the box right here & thats what the side says.  It also has LE223T3 on it. My sgt. is good friends w/ a few of the DEA guys here & whenever they do qualifications, we get to go use the shoot house & ranges when they are done (our range doesn't have any cool stuff).  The last time we went they gave each of us a box.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
DEA uses the Federal Tactical 62gr load.  

And they are the only ones professional enough to use it.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Federal Tactical is the correct answer!  It's used widely by DOJ.  

FBI has several options, but they also have Fed Tactical.  BATF also uses(d) Fed Tactical in silver boxes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#18]
+p+ pooch killers
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
+p+ pooch killers

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top