Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 7:20:12 PM EDT
What ammo do you buy in bulk to shoot at the range?  OTHER THAN WOLF STEEL CASE.

Used to use WWB but obviously that's over with.  I still have a bunch left, but I'm going to have to stock up again at some point and wondering what I should try.

I got a box of that Remington UMC 55gr FMJ .223 stuff for $4.  Haven't shot it yet, but buying in bulk at a lesser price would be nice.

What do you guys use?  Links are appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
AE 223

Very good ammo, prices are going up! Buy it now.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Wolf HP (HP required by indoor range)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
AE 223

+1
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Adcom

The only range I can bring my own ammo to that isn't hours away is a Sheriffs range.  It's an awesome place, but they don't allow steel core or amor piercing.  Stupid because it's outdoors with a grass/dirt backstop, but whatever.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:37:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Wolf.

Never tried the old laquer kind, but my Colt eats the polymer stuff all day long ZERO issues. Not that .223 has any recoil to begin with, but Wolf is 1/2 the "feel" of XM193.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:59:34 AM EDT
[#7]
AE .223
WWB
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:13:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Wolf steel case
surplus 5.56 (south african, guatemalan)
Q3131A
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:51:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Wolf
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:52:45 AM EDT
[#10]
RELOADS!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#11]
How harsh is Wolf on the chamber?  That's the only thing I'm worried about.  I've yet to try it in my gun.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AE 223

+1

I don't know how much Widener's charges for shipping but I just got 2K of AE to my door for $402.  from Natchez.  Widener's is good to do business with also.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
AE 223

+1
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Black Hills BB 55gr FMJ is what I use for plinking most often. In my rifles, it is pretty accurate. I tried UMC but it didn't shoot that good. I also use WWB, but I won't buy it anymore until the prices of the other ammo I use go up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I tried UMC but it didn't shoot that good.

Tell me more about this please.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I tried UMC but it didn't shoot that good.

Tell me more about this please.

I just didn't think it was accurate enough for my rifles. I don't mind 1.5-2 MOA plinking ammo, but I couldn't get anything under 3 MOA in any of my AR's. I have a Savage 10FP in .223 that shoots .25-.5 MOA with almost anything, but the UMC 55gr FMJ would only do 2-2.5 MOA if I really tried.

I gave the last hundred rounds I had to a friend and his Colt was putting great groups on paper, so I think the issue was my rifles just didn't shoot it very well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks!  I find it to be a little dirty, but otherwise a great source of brass for reloading.  It's not hot ammo at all.  Which is fine with me for practice.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
AE 223

+1
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#19]
193, Q3131A
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
How harsh is Wolf on the chamber?  That's the only thing I'm worried about.  I've yet to try it in my gun.

Do not worry - it is not harsh.  Shoot all you want and save the money.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The cases are soft steel, polymer coated.  I can't see that the polymer coating comes off upon firing.  This would suggest that steel doesn't really touch steel.  I suppose there may be some contact by the extractor...???....but I haven't broken one yet.  Since I'm saving around $70/case by using Wolf I figure I can afford to replace an extractor or two.

Anyway, I'm on my 8th case.  Coupla hours ago dumped 210 rds through an 11.5.  As always, zero problems of any kind.  And I have yet to damage anything other than the first inch or so of rifling.

Before you buy in bulk just see if you can run a few mags through your gun.  B/C it's underpowered there is the possiblity your gun won't cycle the stuff.  Only one way to find out.  FWIW, the stuff cycles all of my uppers, but would not reliably cycle a friends LMG upper.  To be fair the LMG was brand-spankin' new.

Sam
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Wolf
Q3131
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I use Wolf now, NO problems

I used to use WWB or Remington UMC
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Georgia Arms Canned Heat
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Georgia Arms Canned Heat

+1
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Georgia Arms Canned Heat

+1

I use Canned Heat when I actually want to hit something.  It is really, really good ammo.  IMHO it is some of the best 55gr ammo available, but we need to keep it a secret -don't want anyone else buying it, they have already increased the price 2X in the past few months.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Monarch...  similiar to Wolf.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Georgia Arms Canned Heat

+1

I use Canned Heat when I actually want to hit something.  It is really, really good ammo.  IMHO it is some of the best 55gr ammo available, but we need to keep it a secret -don't want anyone else buying it, they have already increased the price 2X in the past few months.

For $90, I think I might try 500 rds :)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I have been on the fence about Olympic until this weekend. Had 90 rounds loaded in 3 mags. The rest was Wolf. I had one round of Olympic stick in the chamber and had to force it out with the cleaning rod. Then my wife was shooting and I heard a small pop. She handed the weapon to me for inspection and there was a round stuck halfway in the chamber. I pulled it out and looked at it, and the primer was in sideways... and somehow it ignited when the firing pin struck it, but didn't ignite the powder.... The wolf (600 rounds) went off without a hitch. I don't think I'll waste my money on Olympic again, that was the last 90 rounds I had, good ridance...........

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:28:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I use Wolf steel case 62 grain, and have not had one problem.  Wait, unless getting lectured everytime I go to the range about how it's bad for my weapon, and how the powder stinks, and how much money I'd save if I reloaded, those are my only problems with Wolf.  I am going to start reloading though, just have to clean my basement.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:05:55 AM EDT
[#31]
WWB, my own handloads, and lately a battlepack of Guatamalan 5.56. I'm also down to three hundred rounds or so out of a case of XM855PD that I bought sometime last year.

I wish I had more of the Guat. 5.56 but at the time I bought mine everyone was getting the shitty looking stuff so I only bought one battlepack of it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Nothing but Wolf excpet for HD and hunting.

For my money, Wolf can't be beat and it hasn't given me any problems that has swayed me from buying more.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The cases are soft steel, polymer coated.  I can't see that the polymer coating comes off upon firing.  This would suggest that steel doesn't really touch steel.  I suppose there may be some contact by the extractor...???....but I haven't broken one yet.  Since I'm saving around $70/case by using Wolf I figure I can afford to replace an extractor or two.

Anyway, I'm on my 8th case.  Coupla hours ago dumped 210 rds through an 11.5.  As always, zero problems of any kind.  And I have yet to damage anything other than the first inch or so of rifling.

Before you buy in bulk just see if you can run a few mags through your gun.  B/C it's underpowered there is the possiblity your gun won't cycle the stuff.  Only one way to find out.  FWIW, the stuff cycles all of my uppers, but would not reliably cycle a friends LMG upper.  To be fair the LMG was brand-spankin' new.

Sam

Sam, can you email me through here about that issue? I just bought a Stag Model 4 (20" A3) and it fails to eject the casing (bolt stops after moving back .25" from its closed position). Not sure if that's the issue that you had, but will that go away in time so I can use Wolf again? (my Bushmaster M4 eats Wolf and no issues).

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The cases are soft steel, polymer coated.  I can't see that the polymer coating comes off upon firing.  This would suggest that steel doesn't really touch steel.  I suppose there may be some contact by the extractor

Sam

Just fired about 600rds this weekend (the same upper has fired about 4K of Wolf polymer already). Well, I have notice some problem:

1. The polymer coating does come off and built-up a nice coating in the chamber. I went home and have to really scrub the coating off using chamber brush.

2. Some of the Wolf steel case head does not have the rim cut properly, thus causing some FTE (the rim is cutted too thin and extractor will rip the rim off, causing FTE) This I have not experience before. The ammo I shoot during the weekend was one of the older lot 55gr ammo I got from my friend. I buy and shoot the 62gr stuff most of the time for now, and those works okay.

For plinking I can live with Wolf. If I am going to do some serious shooting (i.e. taking class) I will use GA canned heat. The gun I use are Bushmaster M4, 14.5 with pinned Phantom.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:47:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
1. The polymer coating does come off and built-up a nice coating in the chamber. I went home and have to really scrub the coating off using chamber brush.

2. Some of the Wolf steel case head does not have the rim cut properly, thus causing some FTE (the rim is cutted too thin and extractor will rip the rim off, causing FTE) This I have not experience before. The ammo I shoot during the weekend was one of the older lot 55gr ammo I got from my friend. I buy and shoot the 62gr stuff most of the time for now, and those works okay.

Are you absolutely certain.......beyond any doubt..........that the "older" ammo was not lacquer coated?  I have to ask b/c this stuff is notorious for building up crud in the chambers and causing difficulty with extraction.  I have not had any build up in any of my chambers (all are Colt).  I run a coupla 11.5s, a 14.5, an A1 20, and an A2 20 regularly.  Zero buildup with Poly.  And, again, I'm not seeing any scuffing of ejected cases.  The chambers do get blackened by soot (primer/powder residue), but have not required scrubbing.  Am on my 8th case.

Sam
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#36]
RIGHT NOW

M193 WOLF very accurate and Clean!

LC M855 love it

Santa Barbra SS109 for TARGET PRACTICE ONLY
because it behaves just like Federal 69BTHP

I would shoot Q3131 ONLY if it was easy to FIND

ONLY RELOADS I WILL SHOOT IS BLACK HILLS PERIOD
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#37]
M193 Pulled Bullets
AA2230C
Once Fired Brass
CCI #41 primer

Total cost per 1,000: $84
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
M193 Pulled Bullets
AA2230C
Once Fired Brass
CCI #41 primer

But as you said in my thread, 2230-C is gone for good....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M193 Pulled Bullets
AA2230C
Once Fired Brass
CCI #41 primer

Yep. But the question is what am I using for plinking. I ordered a bunch last year that I am still using. Natches, Graff and PowderValley are now Sold out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
M193 Pulled Bullets
AA2230C
Once Fired Brass
CCI #41 primer

Yep. But the question is what am I using for plinking. I ordered a bunch last year that I am still using. Natches, Graff and PowderValley are now Sold out.

word, maybe Im a little late getting into reloading....., maybe not.....
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top