Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/30/2006 7:35:36 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience using this as a hunting round?

I was considering hunting coyotes with my SA surplus M193.  I would normally not use a FMJ round, but the internal ballistics of the round seem to make it equivalent to a HP type round and would provide for a humane kill.

Thoughts?  Experinces?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#1]
i strongly suggest against using any form of FMJ for hunting. M193 or not it is NOT a magic bullet like some like to think on this board.  

the bullet will just zip right through causing a slow painful death.
just go and buy a box of softpoints!  hell i'll even offer to buy em for you to avoid wounding or maiming a coyote.  get a 20rd. box of Win. 64gr. soft points

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
M193 or not it is NOT a magic bullet like some like to think on this board.  

M193 is about the best general purpose bullet, and an outstanding choice for home defense.

But I agree that an appropriate HP or ballistic tip should be selected.  Coyotes are pretty thin animals (compared to humans).  A bullet guaranteed to frag is in order.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Another thing you need to worry about is whether or not it's legal. Here it's illegal to hunt with FMJ or "Military ammo."
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#4]
M193 will not 'under-penetrate' in an animal smaller than a human if it fragments. You'd have a lot more risk of that from some of the light hollowpoint and ballistic-tip varmint rounds typically used on coyotes than from M193.

The issue with M193 possibly not fragmenting could cause an overpenetration issue and could result in the animal not expiring quickly if shot placement wasn't ideal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I have dropped a few coyotes here in West Texas actually with the Wolf 55 gr.  They get on my friends land and go after the sheep and chikens.  Wolf was all I had at the time.  It worked fine, coyoted dropped within a few yards of where I shot them.  range was about 50 yards.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Unless you are hunting 'yotes or some other varmint don't use FMJ.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Search the Archives in the General AR section , here, and in the Hunting section should be threads on people who've use M193 for hunting.  IIRC White tail and wild boar have been taken with M193 by members of this board.

While not the best tool for the job, if it's placed right FMJ will do it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Search the Archives in the General AR section , here, and in the Hunting section should be threads on people who've use M193 for hunting.  IIRC White tail and wild boar have been taken with M193 by members of this board.

While not the best tool for the job, if it's placed right FMJ will do it.

and i'll try and find the story of the african farmer who shot an elephant in the eye, killing it. .

if he has the option to use softpoints or hollowpoints, do the right thing and use them!

i'm not trying to come off as a dick, but is he too cheap to buy a box of  .223 ammo? wtf?

use a shotgun for coyotes called in close
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
if he has the option to use softpoints or hollowpoints, do the right thing and use them!

Most softpoints and hollowpoints that are useable by 1:12 twist AR-15s are suited for woodchucks not deer or wild pig.

i'm not trying to come off as a dick, but is he too cheap to buy a box of  .223 ammo? wtf?

Don't know you'll have to ask one of them.  Maybe they had a problem finding Federal 55gr bonded bear claw in their area (I know I can't find it in mine and it's legal to hunt with a .223 here).

Maybe their thinking was "well if it's good enough for humans then it's good enough for <insert critter here>".  At least that is better thinking than the crowd that thinks "well it works on prarier dogs so it must be effective on humans".

Either way if I were to go hunting medium game with my AR it would be with my 6.8 upper and some of Silver State's finest.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Its a freaking yote.  Not a whitetail.

Use whatever.  It'll work.

Wanna vaporize them?  Then use a fast loaded 55 or 60gr VMAX or Nosler BT.  Beyond that, just shoot them.

M193 should work nicely, but might not frag, given their thin profiles.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top