Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 6:27:03 PM EDT
Hello,

new to the board and have been reading for about a month and have learned alot.  Currently I'm sporting a ruger mini-14.  Its a great little gun, but i'm looking to move to the AR-15 in the coming months.  

My question is about tracer ammo.  Does it damage the barrel of the gun?  I've been getting mixed answers from my local gun shops about this so I figure you guys would know.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I find no use of tracer ammo in an M16 rifle.  They're only used in LMGs or HMGs.  Using it once in a while in a one-in-every-five-round configuration won't damage your firearm.

Again, why use tracer ammo on a rifle?   Makes no sense.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know it won't hurt your barrel.  It doesn't light up until after it's out of the barrel so it would be like any other bullet.  

My former Gunnys story: In Italy a CO of one of the squadrons wanted us (ordnance) to load his M61 up with nothing but tracers for a little "demonstration".  We filled his request and at 6000 rounds per minute it looked like a lazer coming out of his jet...  When we got his gun back everything was fine.

If it didn't hurt his gun why should it hurt yours?

Also in boot camp we loaded up our mags with nothing but tracers for our night fire.  I shot expert with that rifle...  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,  I think i'll pick some up.  Anyone know where to get it for cheap??
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Frank ive shot quit a few traser rounds out of my ar and outher weapon sytems and i wounderd the same thing so I pulled the bullet (threw the -bullet- not catridge in fire) and noticed that the base of the bullet has a cavity and the cavity is filled with some sort of pyro  next seems to be a delay charge (in the fire you hear a pop then 1 or 2 second delay) and the pyro is ignited, cavity is sort of copper or light skined metall caped, powder ignites and melts down the cap, ignits the delay  then the pyro. I dont think this hurts your barrel. I'd say no. most traser rounds that i have fired dont light up till they are about 75 yds down range or more.

Check out sportsman guide i belive they sell 800rnds for around $250. Semper Fi
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Of course they won't hurt your barrel.  Red tips light at 75 yards, and Orange tips light at 150 yards IIRC.  So you need to have a good 300 yard backstop for any kind of appreciation of the trace, Ace.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I kept 30 rounds back of M856 LC

It dont hurt MY AR none
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top