Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2006 8:59:07 AM EDT
I just finished calling Elderodo Cartridge Corporation (the Importers of PMC). Matt informed me that there will be NO MORE PMC in Rifle calibres for the remainder of 2006. The manufacturer of PMC in Korea has entered into a HUGE contract with ATK (FEDERAL) to produce 50 calibre ammunition for Uncle Sammy. This contract is using the ENTIRE Rifle Cartridge capacity of PMC. A new plant is being built to address the loss of manufacturing capacity but the new plant won't come on line till 2007 some time. As long as the War continues and until the new production capacity is available expect this situation to continue.

That is the Real Story !

All that remains for the remainder mof 2006 comes from what is still in the "PIPELINE" !
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I just shot off 160 rounds of ROK made PMC this morning.  According to various web rumors, I thought PMC was out of business completely.  Sad when we can't even manufacture enough ammo for our own troops ourselves.   Just another blow to our independence as a nation.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought PMC had an ammunition plant out here near Vegas in Boulder City????

thanks,
ROn
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#3]
The ROKs and the N Koreans are big into the "Everything Is Beautiful" mode. Tourists/athletes, etc. are going back and forth. If/when they reunify, you have to figure at least SOME of the nutcakes from up north will be in the gov. Another nation in the "Blue" column?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Manufacturing plant closed only importing.

Art
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Elderado Cartridge Corp is Headquartered in NV and they are the Importers of PMC I believe. If any other company Imports I would like for someone to call any double check the situation on PMC Rifle Ammunition.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Manufacturing plant closed only importing.

Art

When did they end up closing? I remember shooting out near there YEARS ago.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#7]
And some people don't believe that we are going to invade Iran???
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#8]
See, this is what happens when we stop pushing marksmanship in the military....

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Yawn.  Keep buying what you like/need in large amounts when you find it and learn to roll your own.
This is probably how the end will come anyway.  No more ammo for us peons.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Hope they keep that 50 plant running after the contract is filled, I'd like to get my hands on some virgin 50BMG brass and maybe it will be a tad cheaper if they have any overruns to turn loose on the civilian market.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#11]
How hard is it to get into the ammunition manufacturing business?  With all the shortages i hear going on for .MIL contracts I'm surprised some Capitalists from the USA havn't tried to get a piece of the pie.  

Quoted:
Sad when we can't even manufacture enough ammo for our own troops ourselves.   Just another blow to our independence as a nation.  

I don't get how we can put a man on the moon, build a nuclear powered rocket, and map the human genome but we can't make enough of our own ammuntion at home.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#12]

build a nuclear powered rocket
??
Where would I find the pics of that?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#13]
That is a great thought there uglegun, one shared by many !
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

build a nuclear powered rocket
??
Where would I find the pics of that?

Article
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#15]
WAS THAT A SLAP DOWN I JUST SAW/HEARD? LOL........LOL
THAT LEFT A MARK!!!

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How hard is it to get into the ammunition manufacturing business?  With all the shortages i hear going on for .MIL contracts I'm surprised some Capitalists from the USA havn't tried to get a piece of the pie.  

Quoted:
Sad when we can't even manufacture enough ammo for our own troops ourselves.   Just another blow to our independence as a nation.  

I don't get how we can put a man on the moon, build a nuclear powered rocket, and map the human genome but we can't make enough of our own ammuntion at home.  

You can thank f**k-head Bill Clinton for that. There used to be loads of ammunition arsenals in the US (8 I think?), now just Lake City. Even with Lake City running 24hrs a day, 3 shifts a day they are way short. On top of that Federal is producing ammo for the mil outside of LC. Not to mention Winchesters contracts, and now they have to get the ammo from another country???!!!

What the hell is wrong with this picture?

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can thank f**k-head Bill Clinton for that. There used to be loads of ammunition arsenals in the US (8 I think?), now just Lake City. Even with Lake City running 24hrs a day, 3 shifts a day they are way short. On top of that Federal is producing ammo for the mil outside of LC. Not to mention Winchesters contracts, and now they have to get the ammo from another country???!!!

So Bill Clinton had the other 7 arsenals shut down?  Couldn't they theoretically reactivate those plants or did they sell off the equipment and such.  Something just doesn't seem right to me about this whole ammo picture.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Off topic:

I would say that the probe's electrical systems are nuclear powered but the rocket itself doesn't seem to be propelled by nuclear power.....

From the article:
"The spacecraft still must undergo months of testing. It is scheduled to be shipped to Kennedy Space Center in late 2005 to be readied for launch aboard an Atlas 5 rocket."

Mike

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Off topic:

I would say that the probe's electrical systems are nuclear powered but the rocket itself doesn't seem to be propelled by nuclear power.....

From the article:
"The spacecraft still must undergo months of testing. It is scheduled to be shipped to Kennedy Space Center in late 2005 to be readied for launch aboard an Atlas 5 rocket."

Mike

Agreed.

but back when nuclear power was being explored, supposedly there was a design for a nuclear powered ram jet being explored.    Nuclear reaction could super heat the incoming air and be expelled out the exhaust to produce thrust.

toxic radioactive thrust, but thrust none the less......

Figure the outcome would be something between and
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:44:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I stopped by a shop yesterday and they had about 20 cases of RSA made PMC .223 available for $189/case.    

There is a shortage of 50 cal ammo inthe the military.  Reading an article in one magazine, all that they had for their M2's were indindiary rounds.  The inability to penetrate walls casued real problems in a firefight they had when ambushed.

This from Gun Buyer's Annual Presents #40: Special Weapons for Military and Police.  (The one with the Yellow? Mark 16 SCAR-L on the cover. )

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Off topic:

From the article:

Mike

Agreed.

but back when nuclear power was being explored, supposedly there was a design for a nuclear powered ram jet being explored.    Nuclear reaction could super heat the incoming air and be expelled out the exhaust to produce thrust.

toxic radioactive thrust, but thrust none the less......

Figure the outcome would be something between and

I was watching the history channel not to long ago and there was a show on Jet engines or something to that extent and they said there are two types of nuclear thrust systems.  One system was had the air directly charged by the hot nuclear reactor and was the most efficient engine but also had radioactive exhaust.  The second system had superheated lead running threw coils (think of a the freon tubes in a freezer or refridgerator) that was connected to the reactor and those coils in turn heated up the air for thrust.  Though not as efficient its more feasible than dumping radio active exhaust.  I'd be kind of weary about using molten lead to heat the thrust because thats how the soiviets powered their subs and htey had several melt downs becaue the lead turned to gas and rocked their world.  

And yes the probes electrical system is powered by a nuclear reactor, but you get what i'm talking about.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Never really liked PMC ammo anyway in any caliber.

Can't control their production changes or their inport/export affairs so its a non issue with me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So Bill Clinton had the other 7 arsenals shut down?  Couldn't they theoretically reactivate those plants or did they sell off the equipment and such.  Something just doesn't seem right to me about this whole ammo picture.  

By executive order. As for the equipment I dont know, it may still be there. But I doubt if it is all still there its being maintained. Imagine the security and upkeep that must be done? Hardly what I would think would happen at a closed plant, but I could be wrong.

But come on, if a real war did happen (which IMO I dont think will happen anytime soon, but who knows), there is no way the other arsenals could magically be turned back on and produce ammo the next day.

The largest plant in the US is the ONLY one making the ammo? You dont need to be military genius to know how stupid this is, especially with so many other plants! The LC plant runs 24/7, and it still isnt enough to keep up with the ammo demands on a small scale war!!!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top