Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2006 2:46:58 PM EDT
...to cull out any Federal brass.

I was reading the assorted "Kaboom" threads yesterday and decided that case of MCC reloads I bought last fall needed a looking at. I am left handed and shooting an AR-15 puts my face real close to the ejection port side of the upper. Looking at the photos of the bulged uppers got me thinking hard about how much I do not want that to happen to me.

So...I was reading someone's post and he was theorizing that the federal brass and the S&B brass might want to be avoided. The Winchester brass was probably to be trusted. Sounded logical to me.

So I had this open case all loaded into mags and onto stripper clips.

Turned it into a big pile of loose ammo and started sorting.

I put all the Lake City, WWB, WWB .223, And TZZ cartridges in one pile. I put all the FC and twenty or so rounds of oddball headstamps into another pile.

463 rounds that I kept.
316 rounds that I boxed up.
The rest was shot up last fall.

Took the "undesireable" rounds out to my brother-in-law so he could use it up in a bolt action.

Think I am safe to assume we both will be safe enough shooting the rest of this ammo the way I split it up?  

I will not be buying any more of this ammo.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
While I am NO fan of MCC given their current position on the recent kaboom - but in their defense, they didn't have a big history of kabooms beforehand.

I would inspect the rounds you have, and ensure the bullets have enough tension/crimp on them to ensure there is no potential for setback.

Then fire away.  1 Kaboom doesn't mean all their ammo is crap.  Just means their owners are crap for not doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I probably over-reacted.

My brother-in-law isn't complaining.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Years back I bought 1.200 357 SWCHP's from MCC...they sucked.

Powder charges were all over the map...as was accuracy.

3 Pistols were used: 6"Python S&W 27 8 3/8 and a  S&W 66 3"

Lead was listed as "hard casted" but each barrel showed signs of excessive leading.

YMMV,
Pete
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Took the "undesireable" rounds out to my brother-in-law so he could use it up in a bolt action.

Wow.  Lucky bro-in-law.  Did you turn him onto the "Kaboom" thread so he can decide if he wants to shoot those rounds or not?  Semi-auto or bolt action.  A gun is a gun, they all go "boom" or can go "kaboom".  Not flaming you.  Just a thought.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I told him in great detail just what the deal was. I even threw a note in the ammo can describing what the ammo was, and a warning.

He said he was happy to take it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top