Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2006 1:54:58 PM EDT
I'm one of those guys that just can't make a decision on ammo and I'm also a AR newb.  I've only fired WWB from Wal*mart and some of that filthy polymer coated Wolf ammo that tends to gunk up my AR.  I'd like to buy some in bulk but can't make up my mind.

Here's what I'm looking for.  

1) 1000-2000 rounds for plinking.  I live very close to AIM and thought about some of the .223 they have in stock.  Figured I could inspect onsite before I took it home since some people have quality issues with their ammo.

2) Then I'd like 500-1000 rounds of something for defense/SHTF.

If you have any suggestions that would be great!  Otherwise I will keep adding ammo to shopping carts on various sites never having the ability to click the checkout button.  ;)

-Kid
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm one of those guys that just can't make a decision on ammo and I'm also a AR newb.  I've only fired WWB from Wal*mart and some of that filthy polymer coated Wolf ammo that tends to gunk up my AR.  I'd like to buy some in bulk but can't make up my mind.

1) 1000-2000 rounds for plinking.  I live very close to AIM and thought about some of the .223 they have in stock.  Figured I could inspect onsite before I took it home since some people have quality issues with their ammo.

If you have any suggestions that would be great!  Otherwise I will keep adding ammo to shopping carts on various sites never having the ability to click the checkout button.  ;)

-Kid

buy XM193 or Q3131/Q3131A and you won't have to differentiate between plinking and bulk SHTF ammo.  You'll also be zeroed on both, and will be assured of the reliability of your defense ammo.

You can always keep one or two mags loaded with better performing, but much costlier ammo, for your initial defense rounds.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

-Kid

Wolf or Georgia Arms canned heat for plinking and XM193 or XM855 for SHTF.  SHTF ammo should be capible of fragmintation out to 100 yards and should have sealed primers and bullets to keep water out of the case.

Wolf is fine for plinking, if your rifle can run on it then stay with it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
You know that your WWB should fit your needs just fine for both plinking and self defense.  Of course, I consider self defense being room distances or slightly longer so the WWB will be moveing fast enough to do the job.  Flame away at that folks.

Otherwise, any M193 that is newer manufactured will fit your bill.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy the Adcom. Save your invoice.Sort out the bad rounds as you load your magazines and take them back to AIM for replacement since you live so close.  Or call them and tell them your invoice number and how many you rejected. They'll ship replacemnt ammo to you free of charge!They are great people to buy from and their customer service is outstanding. I buy ammo from them and it costs me $40 to ship it to Oregon. Aprreciate how fortunate you are.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I am in the same situation as you.  I bought Wolf for plinking and have XM193 and M855 for SHTF and some plinking.  I am thinking about running up to AIM to get some Adcom.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:01:01 AM EDT
[#6]
For off hand shooting whatever is cheapest works. I also like accuracy and shoot from the bench alot also. I have found the Walmart WWB the most accurate for the money so far. Of course it recently went up to almost 10 dollars for the value pack. I don't think there will be anymore of it anyway. Most of the stores we cleaned out didn't get anymore that hadn't already ordered what was left at the warehouse.
I like black hills also.
For SHTF I would stick to XM193 (which I find the most accurate) or Q3131/Q3131-A. You can't beat the crimped primers and higher velocities.
I recently had a primer lodge in my trigger mechanism and keep the gun from firing. Had to dissable the mechanism to get it out. Now I know why the military uses crimped primers.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I do not know the specs of your AR like the barrel lenght, twist rate (1/7, 1/9, ...), chamber type (5.56 NATO vs .223 SAAMI) and so forth. Therefore alot of a good answer to your question depends upon the specs of your AR, the purpose of your AR, and trying a sample of difference ammo in it/them.

So here is one possible answer to your question, which MAY or MAY NOT worked in your AR. For your TEOTWAWKI/SHTF/HD you might would to try Hornady 75-gr TAP (red box), Hornady 75-gr TAP/FPD (black box), or Black Hill .223 75-gr (red box). Then you can used the Black Hill .223 75-gr (blue box) for plinking or practice. IIRC all of the above ammo uses the very same bullet. Yet the Hornady .223 75-gr Match HPBT (OTM) is the exact same above bullet, but without cannelure. Then the Hornady 5.56 75-gr TAP (#8126N) uses the T2 which is entirely different.

In which case please read the following:
www.ammo-oracle.com/  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=268283  

www.internetarmory.com/rifle_ammo.htm  

www.thegunzone.com/opentip-ammo.html  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#8]
bluemushroom,

You're suggesting plinking with BH bluebox 75gr?  That over $20 for 20 rounds!!!  pretty expensive plinking ammo dont you think?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
IIRC all of the above ammo plus the Hornady 75-gr Match HPBT (OTM), and Hornady 5.56 75-gr TAP (#8126N) uses the very same bullet.

As stated in another thread, .223 TAP, and .223 TAP FPD use the same bullet. The Match is the exact same bullet but without cannelure, and the 5.56 TAP uses the T2 which is entirely different

*edit* Pic added! I don't have any .223 Law Enforcement TAP so I substituted with FPD, same thing different case. http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/5982/tapammo3ap.jpg
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Then the Hornady 5.56 75-gr TAP (#8126N) uses the T2 which is entirely different.

Wow, I did not realize the T2 was a different bullet from the .223 75grain TAP line. Thanks for pointing this out. How does the bullet performance differ? In what way is the T2 better?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#11]
As of lately I have been doing all my plinking with the American Eagle 55grn stuff. $202. per 1000 delivered from Wideners. Not as cheap as Wolf by any means but it's clean, reliable and readily available.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

buy XM193 or Q3131/Q3131A and you won't have to differentiate between plinking and bulk SHTF ammo.  You'll also be zeroed on both, and will be assured of the reliability of your defense ammo.

You can always keep one or two mags loaded with better performing, but much costlier ammo, for your initial defense rounds.

XM193 for plinking is a SIN in my book!  Plus we have to read everyone sobbing when it's all dried up.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top