Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2006 4:38:02 AM EDT
Which ammo is the Most Accurate Ammo at the cheapest price and where do you buy it?

Looking for range ammo, good for 100yds.

16" barrel, Chrome lined, 1:9 twist

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:51:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Didn't you learn anything from your first thread?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:04:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have to advise you to spend a lot of money on Lamass ammo.  

How about lending me your rifle and buying a bunch of ammo for me to try and I'll tell ya.  Start reloading if you want the most accurate.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Yeah, that match ammo is around $350 to $400 for 1000.

WalMarts 45 gr. probably wouldn't be that accurate, I 've heard 62gr is the most accurate
for chromelined 1:9 twist.

I bought some M855, But someone posted it would only be 2-4 MOA.

I'm just looking for 1- 1.5 MOA.

Trying to stay away from Wolf.

I would like to buy Winchester, Federal, or Remington. There are so many differences, I was just hoping someone could post the exact "models" that fit my needs.

Wouldn't mind paying $250-$280 for a 1000 rds for accurate ammo(as good as my set-up
would allow)

Sorry for the double post. Thanks to anyone with more info

Frank
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:13:57 AM EDT
[#4]

How about lending me your rifle and buying a bunch of ammo for me to try and I'll tell ya. Start reloading if you want the most accurate

I won't be able to pick it up for another week. (Md 7 day waiting period)Dying to try some ammo myself!!

Don't have the time to reload, I'm sure there is factory ammo that could meet my needs.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:35:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

WalMarts 45 gr. probably wouldn't be that accurate, I 've heard 62gr is the most accurate
for chromelined 1:9 twist.

That is pure  You will not get 1-2MOA with M855 mil-spec rounds and whoever told you that the 45gr won't be accurate doesn't know what he is talking about.  If you are going to find an accurate load for your rifle you are going to have to buy single boxes and try out various loads/makes/bullet types to see what works.  

In your previous thread I told you to go to Midway, Sportsmansguide, Cabela's and Bass pro and look at different types of ammo compair prices and try out different loads.  Some loads will work great in other people's rifles that will shoot like shit in yours.

I have yet to see the 45gr Winchester shoot bad in a 1:9 or 1:12 barrel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:29:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Which ammo is the Most Accurate Ammo at the cheapest price and where do you buy it?

Most accurate + cheapest = handloads
Moderately accurate + affordable = most military seconds or commercial
Most accurate + expensive = Match ammo

No way around it...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Blue Box Black Hills is great for the price 75gr.  50 rounds for 20 bucks or less

Surplus Santa Barbra shoots just like BTHP out of MY AR`S

I dont know why but it does! just shoot to alot of different types and you will find what your AR likes
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Correct.

WalMarts 45 gr. probably wouldn't be that accurate,

Incorrect.

I 've heard 62gr is the most accurate for chromelined 1:9 twist.

Bullshit.

I bought some M855, But someone posted it would only be 2-4 MOA.

More than likely, most milspec ammo falls into this range.

I'm just looking for 1- 1.5 MOA.

Ok.  Should be easy enough.

Trying to stay away from Wolf.

You'd have to - since there is no Wolf ammo that will do 1 to 1.5MOA.

I would like to buy Winchester, Federal, or Remington. There are so many differences, I was just hoping someone could post the exact "models" that fit my needs.

I'd recommend you drop the preconceived notions about what you want in brands, and stick to your *requirements*.

Wouldn't mind paying $250-$280 for a 1000 rds for accurate ammo(as good as my set-up
would allow)

You cant just make up a price and say that's it.    Like I said - stick with SIMPLE questions.... like "What is the cheapest reliable ammo I can use that will most likely average 1 to 1.5MOA?"

So I will answer that SPECIFIC question.

You will have to shoot them and find out for yourself.  

In my experience, the highest likelihood of *averaging 1 to 1.5 MOA out of a box stock chrome lined barrel, is going to take some experimentation with different ammo.  That is NOT a target barrel.  In general, here are the low cost rounds that will likely fit the bill:  (no particular order)

1.  Winchester 45gr Varmint White box.
2.  Black Hills 52gr HP match
3.  Black Hills 55gr FMJ, 68, or 69.
4.  Commercial reloads like canned heat from Georgia arms.
5.  Federal AE 55gr (maybe)
6.  Federal AE 50gr HP (ammomman.com)

The federal 50gr HP is the cheapest option.  Personally, I recommend the Black Hills 52gr HP match.  It shoots well in every gun I have tried it in, is reliable, trustworthy, and consistent.  About $280/K around here.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you FALARAK.

That was the answer I wanted all along. I will do exactly what you said.

Regarding the Black Hills 52gr HP match, Is that blue box or red box?

Thanks for your response.

Frank
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Blue box.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had decent luck with georgia arms.  .223 canned heat is a case of 500 for 90 bucks.  It's a step up from wolf.  I usually blast with wolf.  I get the brass out on special occasions.  It' funny my high dollar stuff is UMC, haha.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Personally, I recommend the Black Hills 52gr HP match. It shoots well in every gun I have tried it in, is reliable, trustworthy, and consistent. About $280/K around here.

I checked all the places I coud think of . The cheapest I could find Black Hills 52gr HP match is
Midway for $338.99 (click me)

Sorry to be a PIA, but where can you get it for $280?

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#13]
i found that the spanish santa barbara SS109 shot as well as BH blue box 69gr out of my Colt MT6601
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Personally, I recommend the Black Hills 52gr HP match. It shoots well in every gun I have tried it in, is reliable, trustworthy, and consistent. About $280/K around here.

I checked all the places I coud think of . The cheapest I could find Black Hills 52gr HP match is
Midway for $338.99 (click me)

Sorry to be a PIA, but where can you get it for $280?

At my local Sportman's Warehouse, it is $13.99/box/50.  That is $280/K.  It appears to be higher online.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No way around it...

Rmpl hr

Why are handloads the most accurate?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:30:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No way around it...

Rmpl

You are able set the tolerance's.  In a factory, everything is automated so when they drop the powder into the case a few extra grains my find their way in or a few extra grains may be left out.  That won't happen if you are meticulous when handloading also you can determine  what depth to seat the bullet.  Sometimes seating the bullet a little further up may increase the accuracy or likewise moving it backward can do the same.

Bottomline it means that you can taylor your ammo to your rifle because YOU control all of the variables.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:37:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No way around it...

Rmpl

Because every barrel is different.  Every barrel's harmonics are different.  Every barrel is going to have a specific (or handful) of projectiles that it just likes the best.  Then those same barrels will have a powder that they like the best.  As a handloader, you can adjust all of these items, and find the right charge, with that specific powder, that your barrel likes the best.  Then, consistently make that identical ammo for that barrel.

Can you take that handload, and shoot it in a different rifle?  Maybe.  Maybe it will shoot well.  Maybe it will shoot awful.  Maybe it will shoot different, and just need to be tweaked a bit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#18]
The Walmart Winchester White box was really accurate in  of my weapons. it was also really cheap until recently. Its about 10dollar for 40 now I believe. It shot better than anything I have run across so far except for the 52 grain blue box HP.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
i found that the spanish santa barbara SS109 shot as well as BH blue box 69gr out of my Colt MT6601

Finally I found a guy who KNOWS his SHIT

Im telling ya the SANTA BARBRA SS109 IS MATCH GRADE STUFF!!!  out of MY AR`S
also never any BRASS problems

Santa Barbra SS109 93

Bullet 61.9gr.

Brass 105.8grs  Heavy ass brass !      LC M855 Brass 95.8gr and Win M855 97.7gr

Powder 26.0grs
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah I bought some Santa Barbra at a gun show years ago at least 7 or 8 maybe more. I fired some recently and it was super accurate in my bushies. !0 shot groups around 1 1/2 at 100 yards.
I have about 15 boxes left and wish I could find more.
JR
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top