Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2006 5:05:03 PM EDT
My FFL told me that steel core ammo is not good for the AR15, is that right?  In particular he had some Czech made ammo.  He said it would mess up the barrel.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My FFL told me that steel core ammo is not good for the AR15, is that right?  In particular he had some Czech made ammo.  He said it would mess up the barrel.  Thank you.

Time to find a new FFL.

ETA:  Keep the FFl if he has good prices, ignore his ammo advice.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh my God.  Anyone want to take 15,000 rounds of M855 off my hands.  Don't want it ruining my AR barrels  BTW, Tromatic is right.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'd ask him if he runs rubber pistons in the cylinders of his car engine.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Sure he didnt mean steel cased? That would at least be arguable.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oh my God.  Anyone want to take 15,000 rounds of M855 off my hands.  

I'll take it, heck I'll even pay you but not that much because I hear that stuff will ruin your barrel.

Is it possible he meant steal jacket and not steal core?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#6]
He is probably talking about S&B copper washed steel bullet ammo. As long as it can can be impressed by the rifling as easily as copper jacketed I can't see the big difference. If it just has the steel penetrator inside there is no diference on the outside, and the steel never touches anything.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Soft steel bullet jackets aren't any worse than tough gilding metal bullet jackets on rifling.  Note the term "soft."  You can make steel that you can mark with your thumbnail, or steel that's so hard it can't be easily machined with normal tools.  Bullet jackets out of steel are nothing new, and should be no problem at all.

Steel cores in bullets don't make any difference to the rifle.  How could they?  The bullet core never interacts in any way with the rifle.

Steel cartridge cases are probably no big deal either, except if you use older Wolf with super-tripple lacquer coatings; these tend to leave a lot of lacquer in the chamber and are a pain because cases eventually stick.

As noted above, don't pay too much attention to an FFL's opinions about ammo (or anything, really).  Having an FFL means that the person has paid a fee and maybe has some experience in selling guns, nothing more.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks for answers.  The make is Sellier & Bellot.  It appears to be copper jacketed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for answers.  The make is Sellier & Bellot.  It appears to be copper jacketed.

The S&B jacket will pull a magnet.  Not sure what's its made of.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top