Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2006 11:19:05 PM EDT
Hi all!
i just bought my first ar and im a little confused as to what i should get in terms of ammo.

upper:

Stag-15L Model 2HL Pre-Ban
Caliber....5.56 Nato Chamber
Upper......Forged and Mil Spec.
Sights..... Arms #40 A2/Front Post
Barrel.....16" Chrome Lined 1/9 Twist
Break......A2 Flash Hider

Does it matter what kind of ammo i shoot out of the brand new barrel? do i need some fancy crap to "Break it in" ?

Im looking to get the best quality and quantity for the least amount of cash (bet im the first one to request that)

What are your recommendations and suggestions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#1]
well, since nobody's replying i just went ahead and bought some boxes of Federal XM193..
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:47:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hi all!
i just bought my first ar and im a little confused as to what i should get in terms of ammo.

upper:

Stag-15L Model 2HL Pre-Ban
Caliber....5.56 Nato Chamber
Upper......Forged and Mil Spec.
Sights..... Arms #40 A2/Front Post
Barrel.....16" Chrome Lined 1/9 Twist
Break......A2 Flash Hider

Does it matter what kind of ammo i shoot out of the brand new barrel? do i need some fancy crap to "Break it in" ?

Im looking to get the best quality and quantity for the least amount of cash (bet im the first one to request that)

What are your recommendations and suggestions?

Thanks!

Depending on what you are using it for, but I like the Horandy 75 Grain TAP.  I am also checking out some of the Soft Point ammunition like the Winchester 64 Powere Point and the Federal 64 Grain Soft Point.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:56:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
well, since nobody's replying i just went ahead and bought some boxes of Federal XM193..

arnt we impatient for someone asking a question at 2 am?? either way you cant go wrong with xm193  where did you order it from??
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:17:56 AM EDT
[#4]
black hills 55-to-69gr great ammo
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:54:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Chrome lined rifles require little to no "break-in", that said shoot 20 rounds and then clean her, shoot another 40 or so and clean her again and she should be good to go.

I'd use any M193 round for this process (or any good quality 55grn FMJ from Winchester, Rem, Federal etc...)

For your SHTF or "go-to" self defense ammo, I'd test the Black Hills 69grn SMK, (bullet made by Sierra) and the 68grn match HPBT (bullet made by Hornady) and choose the one that groups best in your rifle.

I might also get one box of the 75grn match HPBT (again Hornady bullet) from Black Hills or Hornady themselves to "see" if the 75grn bullet will shoot well in your 1/9 twist carbine.

Good Luck,
Mike

ps - as your rifle appears NOT to have the M4 feed-ramps I would tend to avoid the Power Points mentioned above and other large lead nosed hunting rounds, as they have "lead-noses" which don't feed as reliably in non-feed-ramped uppers, increasing the possibility of "set-back" (a condition in which the bullet hangs on entry to the chamber and can get set-back into the brass, creating an "over-pressure" issue and the ocassional KA-BOOM)

Yes they (lead nosed rounds) will work in non-ramped uppers, (sometimes reliably), but the shooter must be vigilantly aware that this could happen at any time when using such bullets. The FMJ rounds or the self-defense rounds mentioned above are much safer IMO and this is far less likely with them.

ETA - do not forget that there is very good information TACKED to the top of the Ammunition forum which you should read, like this: www.ammo-oracle.com and the tesing by B&T Ammo Labs in the top thread.....
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:59:18 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're going to be shooting alot, I recommend the Federal AE 55gr FMJBT.  You can get 1000 rounds from Wideners for $189, and it's great stuff.  I'm 200 rounds into my case and it's all shot perfect so far.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]
mr_wilson summed it up pretty well.  Chrome lined barrels require no break in.  Wolf 55 FMJ for plinking and Hornady TAP and Blackhills for accurate shooting and self-defense.  M855 or M193 for SHTF.

I thought AR's weren't transferable in you live in California?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
well, since nobody's replying

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I recommend not cleaning the chrome bore till after 300-400 rds....polish ur chrome

Longhunter
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you're going to be shooting alot, I recommend the Federal AE 55gr FMJBT.  You can get 1000 rounds from Wideners for $189, and it's great stuff.  I'm 200 rounds into my case and it's all shot perfect so far.

What is Blue tip?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is Blue tip?

Boat Tail
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#12]
heh, im impatient. thanks for th replys, guys. I bought it from www.impactguns.com 12 boxes of 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
heh, im impatient. thanks for th replys, guys. I bought it from www.impactguns.com 12 boxes of 20 rounds.

I suspect you'll be waiting a while. They're 'out of stock - accepting orders'.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#14]
oi.. i didnt see that.. anybody know of another place with decently priced Fed xm193 that has it in stock?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#15]
XM193 is pretty hard to find now and none of it is decently priced.  Check the ammunition list tacked at the top of the forum.  I guess I will be the first to say it, but Wolf is a good option for cheap plinking ammo.

By the way, how did you buy a new AR living in Commiefornia?

Seydou
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
XM193 is pretty hard to find now and none of it is decently priced.  Check the ammunition list tacked at the top of the forum.  I guess I will be the first to say it, but Wolf is a good option for cheap plinking ammo.

Seydou

Still waiting on that answer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is Blue tip?

Incendiary
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seydou

Still waiting on that answer.

its a cali compliant one.. Fixed 10round magazine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#19]
it looks like i might go shooting in a coulpe of days, before my ammo arrives in the mail. anybody know of any other type of ammo that i could shoot that might be available at big5 and other stores of that category?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
it looks like i might go shooting in a coulpe of days, before my ammo arrives in the mail. anybody know of any other type of ammo that i could shoot that might be available at big5 and other stores of that category?

Sure.  The type you are looking for is ".223".  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#21]
hehe, yes, i know, but are rounds like
WINCHESTER Q3131A / IMI M193
and other somewhat mil spec types to be found in regular stores?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
We Californians appreciate those manufacturers and FFL vendors who've supported us in
acquiring legal 'off-list' lowers.  Large quantities of Stags, Fultons, DoubleStars, Lauers,
DSA, and others all have happily made it into California.

BTW, I am the author of the California AR/AK FAQ on Calguns.Net:
 www.calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

More and more lowers are coming into CA, but the cutoff (declaration as assault weapon) is
likely approaching fairly soon.  Some estimates of the number of legal off-list lowers making
it into CA are as high as  11,000 or more as of 3/10/06 - and the demand still continues.  The
cutoff could be a few days or a couple of weeks.  No one knows for sure, though we are pretty
certain this will happen.  

It'd be nice that all Californians who want off-list lowers can get them purchased in time,
so attention to detail and fast shipping upon order completion is really appreciated - and
I'm sure CA folks will pay extra for this & express shipping  to have a trouble-free deal.

Briefly, to keep things legal, you should:

• ship only 'off-list' lowers to CA FFL dealers.  These aren't on Calif's  Kasler list
    of guns (lowers) specifically banned by make AND model.   If it's not named it's legal to
    possess as a bare lower.   [This is because the 2001 CA Supreme Ct decision, Harrott
    v Kings County
    , says that to be a banned-by-name assault weapon, the name must be
    specifically listed by the government; furthermore, a trial court or DA cannot make a
    determination if a specific make/model is an assault weapon without consulting the list
    of banned guns.]

This list of names of banned guns  is at  ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/aw.pdf  and also at
    Calif Code of Regulation sec 979.10-979.11

•  best to keep things easy and ship just bare lowers; that way you avoid configuration
    issues.  CA customers will deal with the right parts combinations afterwards.   Ideally it's
    best to ship without pistol grip and/or telestock, folding stock or thumbhole stock mounted.  
    (Other lower parts are fine - fire control, pins, etc.)   A bare off-list lower is still a CA
    assault weapon if it has an open magwell AND a pistol grip/and or telestock mounted so
    we really want to stay away from that.  

• if the off-list lower must for some reason be shipped with pistol grip or telestock,a
    NONDETACHABLE MAGAZINE MUST BE AFFIXED.   This means it must take 'tools
    and time' to remove/replace mag in order to be legal and not a CA assault weapon.  
    The 'Sporting Conversions' fixed mag kit, with the screw whaled down on, and with
    perhaps a bit of green ThreadLok used, will serve fine.  If you are unsure about this,
    just ship the lower without telestock and pistol grip (it may be a good ideal to ship
    those separately, not in the same box).

Thanks for your support.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Yes, we can buy "off-list" lowers in California.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#23]
XM193 is good ammo
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I recommend not cleaning the chrome bore till after 300-400 rds....polish ur chrome

Longhunter

+1
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Ammoman has some X M193 but time you read this he will be out!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Ammoman has some X M193 but time you read this he will be out!

hehe, i picked up some the day before yesterday from him.. it wont arrive in time though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Good Deal! You got a nice Carbeaner and some good ammo to start!

Federal A.E. is a little bit slower but dont pound your gun to death like M193 specs
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#28]
While we're on the topic, Ammunitionstore has some ADCOM SS109 1K rounds for 180, anyone have experince with with particular ammo? Good price?

I'm shooting through a Panther A15 Lite (First BR)
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
While we're on the topic, Ammunitionstore has some ADCOM SS109 1K rounds for 180, anyone have experince with with particular ammo? Good price?

Well, try the ammunition reference and review tacked at the top.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top