Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 12:51:01 PM EDT
Alot of the posts here are commenting on the price raises of Winchester ammo.  Has anyone thought this might be linked to the fact that "Winchester" is going out of business?  I may be ignorant, the ammo side and the gun side may not be linked.  However the Winchester plant in Conneticut shut down this month, no more Model 70's.  It's owned by a company in Europe that has rights to the Winchester name, and they have decided to shut down mass production of it's rifles, the only "Winchester" rifle you will be able to buy for the next two years will be an uber expensive custom job done in Europe.  Just a thought.

On the other end, I have been told that .45 and 223 is very hard to find right now because of the war in Iraq.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, Winchester IS going out of business. I still cannot find out if the firearms maker is the same as the ammunition maker......anyone???
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I've also noticed that their .22LR Dynapoints are no longer being made.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Well Winchester Ammo comes out of East Alton, IL.  I know that the Winchester name is actually owned by a corporation called Olin out of Missouri.  Winchester rifles, or the company that produces them is actually out of Belgium, and is called Browning International (yes, it's the same Browning you deer hunters know).  So I am guessing that they are two different companies, both leasing the Winchester name.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I noticed that also...  I really liked that stuff too!  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Winchester Ammunition is owned by Olin.  Olin used to own US repeating arms (winchester firearms division) but they sold it to a belgian company called FN Herstal, which IIRC is the parent company of browning.    Olin licensed Herstal to use the name winchester until 2008 IIRC.  When the license expires, Olin can sell the license to anyone they choose..............or buy back the us repeating arms factory and reopen it themselves.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
so what about win q3131.  What will happen to it?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I ordered some Dynapoints from Natchez and they said Winchester hade moved their 22 factory and hadn't restarted productiopn yet.
I also got this email from Winchester today.
JR

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us here at Winchester
Ammunition.  We are always glad to hear from our many friends and
customers who share in the shooting sport.

Yes Winchester is still loading 22 Dynapoints.
 However, currently there is a back order situation.
Winhcester expect to fill these orders in the near future.

Thank you again for contacting us here at Winchester Ammunition.  If you
should require additional information, do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Winchester Technical Department

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I ordered some Dynapoints from Natchez and they said Winchester hade moved their 22 factory and hadn't restarted productiopn yet.
I also got this email from Winchester today.
JR

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us here at Winchester
Ammunition.  We are always glad to hear from our many friends and
customers who share in the shooting sport.

Yes Winchester is still loading 22 Dynapoints.
 However, currently there is a back order situation.
Winhcester expect to fill these orders in the near future.

Thank you again for contacting us here at Winchester Ammunition.  If you
should require additional information, do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Winchester Technical Department

Good to know. I'm down at about 5 bricks...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I heard that Winchster is only stopping production of models 70 and 94. Never heard anything about the shotguns or ammo.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I heard that Winchster is only stopping production of models 70 and 94. Never heard anything about the shotguns or ammo.

Ammo is manufactured by Olin Corp, completely unrelated.  The US Repeating Arms Corp, which is owned by Fabrique National (through another holding company) is only closing the US manufacturing plant, which makes rifles.  The shotguns are made in Belgium (and possibly Japan).
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Winchester Ammunition is owned by Olin.  Olin used to own US repeating arms (winchester firearms division) but they sold it to a belgian company called FN Herstal, which IIRC is the parent company of browning.    Olin licensed Herstal to use the name winchester until 2008 IIRC.  When the license expires, Olin can sell the license to anyone they choose..............or buy back the us repeating arms factory and reopen it themselves.

the same FN that makes m16s for the US??  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top