Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 5:39:26 AM EDT
This courtesy of fusilier on the FAL FILES.

Last week I suffered a nearly catastrauphic failure while shooting Wolf .308 out of my circa 1980 FAL/ LAR. The long type flash suppressor departed as shrapnel and the magazine content erupted from the bottom of my rifle. I phoned Wolf and to their credit I recieved NO BS. They said yep, it has been a problem and they are working on it. They sent me a call tage for the remaining ammo and reciept sothat I may be refunded. Also they will pay for repairs. The ammo in question is .308 lot number J018-05. The base of the case split at the extractor groove.
I have checked the rifle over, no other damage, headspace is still tight. It will shoot again.

Some here may want to know about this.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Last week I suffered a nearly catastrauphic failure while shooting Wolf .308 out of my circa 1980 FAL/ LAR. The long type flash suppressor departed as shrapnel and the magazine content erupted from the bottom of my rifle. I phoned Wolf and to their credit I recieved NO BS. They said yep, it has been a problem and they are working on it. They sent me a call tage for the remaining ammo and reciept sothat I may be refunded. Also they will pay for repairs. The ammo in question is .308 lot number J018-05. The base of the case split at the extractor groove.
I have checked the rifle over, no other damage, headspace is still tight. It will shoot again.

Interesting.

I would want to know why hit flash supressor "departed" his weapon from a "potential" overpressure or weak case.  That doesnt make any sense.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

I would want to know why hit flash supressor "departed" his weapon from a "potential" overpressure or weak case.  That doesnt make any sense.

Doesn't make any sense to me either.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#3]
At least they are willing to pay for repairs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah.... I can't see the FH coming off due to a ammo failure. Sounds like more of the same anti wolf crap.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
If the "long type" flash hider he's refering to is the Inch pattern type, then it's not a huge surprise.  They're known to "banana peel", particularly aftermarket models.  If the round was overcharged, it wouldn't surprise me if the flash hider failed and the magazine blew out.

Honestly, I've never had a problem with Wolf, and if the .308 surplus market dries up, that's what I'll be shooting in my 2 FALs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:14:40 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is another post on a similar experience by richbug back on Feb 13th as posted on the FAL FILES.

I will keep shooting the Indian. I saw a case head failure on an M1A yesterday with the laquered wolf. It burned the guys right cheek, and blew the bottom out of the mag. Luckily he had on glasses.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top