Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/16/2006 7:13:40 PM EDT
Why are only (4) rounds loaded on 10 round stripper clips?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Because the safety nazis yanked all the tracers off the stripper clips for you (10 rd. clip, 2 tracers per clip).

John
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks.
So it was 2 fmj, 1 tracer, 4 fmj, 1 tracer, 2 fmj?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Normally 4 ball, 1 tracer, 4 ball, 1 tracer.

So yank the first tracer, then the 4 ball go in the can, then yank the second tracer and throw the stripper with the last 4 ball into the can.  Throw the bandos into the can, close it up and sell it to us on the market.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder why the got rid of the tracers?

A guy next to me at the range was shooting this ammo the date was 92
and had  Flat primmers ?  

If I run across some for the right price I just might have to try it out! But I want the Down loaded  Ammo  .
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The stuff I had from AIM was 10 rounds per clip.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Is the down loaed radway pretty accurate compared to other type of SS109/M855
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe anything after 1990 or thereabouts was not downloaded. Some of the earlier stuff was downloaded for the L85. Not all of it is downloaded though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks I was wondering because the 92 had ONE FLAT PRIMMER?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#9]
while in kuwait for the drive up to baghdad we were issued brit 223. after arriving in baghdad they directed troops issued m-4 carbines to turn in the brit and get us green tip. were told the brit ammo was loaded lighter and may give functional issues in the m-4 I had an m-16A4 and we were informed those with full length rifles could stick with the brit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Just because it's a GI telling you doesn't mean he's not telling you old, inaccurate information.  When the Brits got H&K to rework the L85, they no longer needed downloaded ammunition, so they revised their loads to conform to NATO standards.  That was in the late '80s or early '90s (depending on how much surplus they already had loaded and what contracts were in the works at the time).

There's no reason to expect that British ammunition is not in compliance with NATO standards today.  According to the British Army's site, the SA 80A2 does indeed fire NATO standard ammunition.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#11]
maybe thats why the FLAT as Hell Primmer 92 date?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
while in kuwait for the drive up to baghdad we were issued brit 223. after arriving in baghdad they directed troops issued m-4 carbines to turn in the brit and get us green tip. were told the brit ammo was loaded lighter and may give functional issues in the m-4 I had an m-16A4 and we were informed those with full length rifles could stick with the brit.

That was due to gas port pressure, not velocity. RG L2A2 is loaded with stick powder not ball.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
There's no reason to expect that British ammunition is not in compliance with NATO standards today.

NATO marking "Hot Cross Bun", is for ammunition designed to NATO standards, not necessarily NATO qualified.

All current Radway Green 5.56mm Ball & Tracer ammunition has passed NATO qualification tests as well as the MoD acceptance tests.

NATO interoperability marking "Cloverleaf", on the packaging relates to the ability of the tactical packaging to be used by other NATO nations, i.e.., the bandoliers, chargers, magazines, belts, boxes, or whatever else the rounds are packed in.

Interoperability does not mean the same as interchangeable.

-Interoperability means that the ammunition will work the guns (may be at a different cyclic rate, and probably with a different point of impact).

-Interchangeable means that they not only function the gun correctly, but that the rounds will also hit where the gun is aimed, without re-zeroing.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you have any details on whether current Radway Green is effectively the same as other SS109-type rounds?  You seem to be in a better place to find out than the rest of us.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a few cases and the loose packed had "tracer" marked on the can. Also bought a 900 round can sealed with only "ball" on the can, these were still packed on the strippers.
I really like this ammo and have had zero problems. I think it is some of the cleanest ammo I have ever fired out of my AR.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I wonder why the got rid of the tracers?

So nobody burns down the shooting range.............Big brother trying to help you think, and make you safe!

A guy next to me at the range was shooting this ammo the date was 92
and had  Flat primmers ?  

If I run across some for the right price I just might have to try it out! But I want the Down loaded  Ammo  .

I have two 900 rd. cans of 88 headstamp, and one of 92 headstamp, and it all shoots to the same POI out of my Bushy Patrolmans carbine, and functions fine............................Anyone use this stuff for reloading, I have a crapload of brass, and should either use it, or chuck it.

John
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I love this stuff. I wish I had bought more when it was all on strippers in bandos.

The way it ships now is a PIA.

I would not mind some 55 g with a lead core though.

JR
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Do you have any details on whether current Radway Green is effectively the same as other SS109-type rounds?  You seem to be in a better place to find out than the rest of us.

HAPPY TO HELP OUT

Brit ammo meets STANAG 4172  This is ALL L2A2 marked rounds
61.7gr +/- 1.7gr
3025 fps +/- 40fps (20" Barrel measured at 25M)
Accuracy >4 moa

Penetration:-

10 gauge SAE 1010 or 1020 steel plate at 570M / 623 Yards

RG L2A2 BALL

Chamber pressure = 4,000 bar MAX

Port pressure = 880 bar MIN

The British round uses Cut Tubular (NNN 241B) from Muiden Chemie International, Dutch.

It is loosely akin to  the old Nobel Rifle No.2 & No.3 propellants, it is also double based.
Probably Alliant (Hercules) Reloder 11, Hodgdon H335, Vectan SP7, Vihtavouri N133, or Winchester 748 are the nearest burning rates available in commercial powders.

This loading develops low chamber and port pressures to match the dwell time of the British service rifle, longer than the AR15, which requires a shorter sharper punch of gas pressure. Therefore it potentially feels less 'powerfull' to the shooter..........

Tested 1998 LOT
L2A2 62gr SS109 BALL = 3100 fps 50F 500' 20" 1:7 AR15

FROM YOUR OWN US MILITARY :-

UK 5.56MM CONFIGURATIONS WAS COMPARED AGAINST THE CORRESPONDING US 5.56MM CONFIGURATION FOR PERFORMANCE, SAFETY, AND RELIABILITY BY THE SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS AT ARDEC TO ASSURE INTERCHANGEABILITY.

BASED ON THIS REVIEW IT WAS DETERMINED THAT ALL THE REQUIREMENTS, STATED BY THE UK AND NATO SPECS, WERE MET AND THAT THE ONLY CRITICAL ISSUE IDENTIFIED WAS A UK FINDING THAT STATED A PROBLEM WITH FAILURE TO CYCLE MALFUNCTIONS EXPERIENCED WITH CARBINE, 5.56MM, M4 (1005-01-231-0973) RIFLES DUE TO DIFFERENCE IN RIFLE DESIGN BETWEEN THE M16A2 5.56MM RIFLE AND M4 5.56MM CARBINE.

UK AMMUNITION SHALL NOT BE USED IN THE M4.  (Gas port pressure issues)

THIS AMMUNITION WAS RELEASED FOR FULL USE IN THE M16A2 RIFLE AND M249 SQUAD AUTOMATIC WEAPON (SAW) AND IS ACCEPTABLE FOR USE IN WEAPON ZEROING AND QUALIFICATION FOR THE M16A2 AND THE M249.

THE UK 5.56MM AMMUNITION IS A BALLISTIC MATCH FOR THE 5.56MM: M855, BALL ROUND

(THE UK AMMUNITION DOES NOT HAVE A GREEN TIP, BUT IT SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH THE M193, 5.56MM BALL ROUND).

NOT UNDERLOADED  

A lot of people have commented on the M4 working well and the A2 not!
I have found both worked fine with the post 98/99 L2A2 Ball.

It is all due to the gas system setup on the individual AR/M16/Rifle in question.

With regard to some people having problems with RG in their AR's on this site, I am guessing that they have rifles slightly out of the 'MIL Spec' tested tolerances, or perhaps in a few cases badly a fitted or worn gas system.

Edited to add from HOTGUN:-

That was an initial report, based on ...well a bad test.
Further testing found it works as well or better in the Carbine as it's shorter gas tube delivers a higher "punch" to cycle the weapon.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:37:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:35:04 AM EDT
[#20]
ACR26, THANKS!!!

It just didn't make sense for something marked as a NATO-standard round to NOT perform to those standards.

As I recall, the Spanish did NOT mark their CETME-downloaded .308 as NATO rounds-am I remembering right on that?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:07:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I would imagaine so, The last batch of Spanish 7.62mm I had was NATO marked, and performed as such.

Incidentally, the RG would probably be a great buy for those with piston uppers!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top