Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 3:57:20 PM EDT
For those who have an interest in this bonded technology round, this is the lowest price I've seen anywhere.

Federal Premium Vital-Shok for $11.99 at MidwayUSA

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
That is an outstanding deal!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone know if the bullets are still moly coated?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't *think* these bullets have moly...all the pictures I've seen of the 55 grain TBBC that Federal sells in their "Vital Shok" or whatever line of ammo look to have copper-colored jacketing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The last time I bought this Federal ammunition (same part #) it was moly coated, I noticed in the picture there it is not.  I'm wondering if they HAD moly and got rid of it or if moly was something they added/use currently and midway is just using an old picture.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The last time I bought this Federal ammunition (same part #) it was moly coated, I noticed in the picture there it is not.  I'm wondering if they HAD moly and got rid of it or if moly was something they added/use currently and midway is just using an old picture.

I plan on calling tomorrow to find out... especially since it is PAY DAY!

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
The last time I bought the 55gr. TBBC ammo from Midway, the bullets were not coated. This was about 6 months ago. That is a hell of a deal though. Them little buggers are expensive.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I plan on calling tomorrow to find out... especially since it is PAY DAY!

Rmpl

Hear anything yet?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The sales people don't really know for sure, but they said they are "pretty sure" it is NOT moly coated bullets. That grooves with the picture they use as well.

As a comparison, I looked at how much the Bear Claw bonded bullets sell for, JUST FOR THE BULLET, so I could roll my own. It was almost $36.00 for FIFTY (50) bullets!

So, lets see: $59.95 for 100 brand new, Federal Vital-Shoks (5 boxes) or $72.00 for 100 BULLETS and I would have to provide case, primer and powder. Gee, I wonder which path I took?

5 boxes of 20 on their way to me...
I would have liked to have gotten more but these rounds are a novelty to me as I cannot use .223 for deer hunting in VA. I do like their ability to PENETRATE without fragmentation though... You never know when you might need to shoot into automotive glass (one of the main marketing claims for law enforcement)...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Even 99% of LEO's will probably never have to shoot through front shield window glass (except during some kind practice).  It hardly ever happens.  You can imagine the probability of a civilian needing to do it.  But there are always other barriers in this world in need of penetrating.  If not, well then it's still a good deer or other animal round.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I think these are close-outs from Federal.  Not too sure they are even in Federal's current ammo line-up.  The 55 gr. TBBC's I got from Graf's a month ago are not moly coated.  These are probably not either.  I ordered another 5 boxes.  The price is outstanding compared to the LE load...which is about $22/bx.  Midway did get me for almost $10 shipping on 5 boxes and 5-20 round Stoner AR mags, but Graf's price was about $16/box on close-out with free shipping.  Midway has the better deal on this type of order.

I'd order more of these from Midway, but can't imagine needing more than the 200 rds. that I have now got.

dvo
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't worry, this load isn't going anywhere.  It is still in federal's current lineup and is one of their best selling .223 munitions, they won't be getting rid of it any time soon.  $12/box is a good deal on this ammunition.  I've only seen it that low 1 other time in the past 1 1/2 years.  There are deals on it here and there from time to time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope you are right about this load continuing to be in Federal's lineup, When I go to their website I don't see it anymore. Is it going to be LEO only perhaps?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Holy crap, I can't find it on their site either!  I see they now have a Nosler Partition load in the V-Shok category?  Maybe that replaced it?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top