Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 6:46:37 AM EDT
...what does everyone think of the Remington UMC (green box) that wally world sells for $3.97/20 rds?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I have bought and shot those in the past.  They are good, just not as good as the WWB Value Pack.  My local stores have the WWB VP at $9.98.  Either way, this ammo and WWB will go back to being something to pick up when you need to grab a box or two and go shoot, not stock up.

TS
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#2]
The remington is good stuff. Just not great. It is loaded to .223 spec and not 5.56. But it is quality new production reloadable ammo. It just wasn't worth it when WWB was cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The remington is good stuff. Just not great. It is loaded to .223 spec and not 5.56. But it is quality new production reloadable ammo. It just wasn't worth it when WWB was cheaper.

I agree.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I am stepping up my efforts, equipment to reload .223. Looking at dies, components.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am stepping up my efforts, equipment to reload .223. Looking at dies, components.

To make this a financially viable operation, make sure that you don't get screwed on the cost of powder.  I usually purchase WC844 surplus by the keg, along with someone who does likewise; we then split the hazmat charge.  This cuts the cost of powder down to about  half of what it would have been had we purchased it one pound at a time locally.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the WWB from Wal Mart is gone period....unless Winchester makes it themselves. The stores here are telling me its been deleted. I guess Israel quit making it for them like the Q3131A.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

My suggestions:

Dillon 550B w/Dillon carbide dies
AA2230C
Win 55gr FMJBT
LC, TZZ, WWC, WINCHESTER or RP brass
CCI #41 primer

This is the set up I use. I can reload .223 to 5.56 specs for less than $85/k (not including cost of press or brass). You can do it cheaper if you are willing to use pulled bullets and cheaper primers.

I did 500 last night.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I asked Olin directly if they are still making the value pack and they said yes. Doesn't matter to me now because of the price.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you specifically inquire about 223 55 grain FMJ (made in Israel)? They make all kinds of value packs. I just bought some 40cal value packs from walmart and some kind of 50 round 223 value pack from Sports Authority recently.
They also make a 223 45 grain HP thats actually made by Winchester that shoots very well in my guns.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, I gave them a complete description of the product including their item number USA223R1VP.
The guy knew exactly what I was talking about and told me that there should be better availability in 2-3 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Guess its all MOOT at 9.98.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This is the set up I use. I can reload .223 to 5.56 specs for less than $85/k (not including cost of press or brass). You can do it cheaper if you are willing to use pulled bullets and cheaper primers.

isn't that like say Honda can make an Accord for $1,000 not including the plant or the steel or the labor?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My suggestions:

AA2230C
Win 55gr FMJBT
CCI #41 primer

I did 500 last night.

I wish I had the space to set one up. My garage is good about 6 months of the year. I'd hate to leave a Dillon out there- rust, grunge. I have a mount I made for my Workmate to bolt the Forster down to. After I'm finished I can bring the press inside. Or bring the Workmate inside in hot/cold weather. I really envy some of the setups you guys post of your reloading areas. One of these days...........

ETA:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To make this a financially viable operation, make sure that you don't get screwed on the cost of powder.  I usually purchase WC844 surplus by the keg, along with someone who does likewise; we then split the hazmat charge.  This cuts the cost of powder down to about  half of what it would have been had we purchased it one pound at a time locally.

One thing I'm looking into is a powder that can do double duty- .223 and .308. Might not be the ULTIMATE for either caliber but good in both. I've been able to do that with pistol, to some extent. Or at least that was the goal. I usually wind up buying a pound here and there to try, winding up with more types than I planned on. I've found some good prices on the Powder Valley site.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Winchester 748 is a great powder for reloading.  It's the cleanest load that I've ever shot.  I have never chrono'ed it so don't know how it does in the velocity area.  You can also use it in the .308.  Again, it shoots very clean but might not be the most accurate.

I don't know if 748 is the cheapest though.

I'm thinking about getting back into reloading myself since prices are going up so much.  But I need to get a progressive if I want to make it worth my time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

isn't that like say Honda can make an Accord for $1,000 not including the plant or the steel or the labor?

Kinda, but since I have had my press for 10 years, I have 8k brass which were gifts from my range buddies who don't reload and I don't count my own time, I don't see an issue with it.

I went through 2,500 rounds at the last Hernando MG shoot. If I had to buy everything from scratch it would have been a $500 day.

ETA: home.earthlink.net/~q3131/data/

Do a save as on file: betadump.mov

This will require quicktime (my nephew).
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I've never had any problems with it.  Good, clean, goes bang every time ammo.  And the brass is pretty good I think.  However, I've never found it to be very accurate in either of my AR's.  Someone elses migh like it though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My suggestions:

AA2230C
Win 55gr FMJBT
CCI #41 primer

I did 500 last night.

That is interesting, I am going to look into reloading my brass due to the increases in ammo prices. Thanks for the info, and as luck would have it, I just received a Dillion Blue Press catalog in the mail.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:14:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My suggestions:

AA2230C
Win 55gr FMJBT
CCI #41 primer

I did 500 last night.

Care you explain your prices of the components?  I have priced the components and I don't see how you could do it for that price.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My suggestions:

AA2230C
Win 55gr FMJBT
CCI #41 primer

I did 500 last night.

Care you explain your prices of the components?  I have priced the components and I don't see how you could do it for that price.  

Thanks.

Sure. Buy from Powder Valley. They have raised their prices a bit since my last purchase.
AA2230C - $69/8lbs - That's about $30/k (was $68/8lbs last time I bought)
Win 55gr Bullets - $39/k (was $32/k last time I bought)
CCI #41 - $20.50/K (was $17.50 last time I bought)

$30 + $39 + $20.50 = $89.50/k + Shipping and Hazmat
Last time I bought: $29 + $32 + $17.50 = $78.50/k + shipping and Hazmat

Other cost reducers:
Pulled Bullets from Pats: $28/k
Winchester Primers: $15/k

Cheap reloads:
$30 + $28 + $15 = $73/k + Sh + HzMt

Buy in bulk and you can reduce the HzMt charge to about $4/k.

Moral of the story, prices are going up for both ammo and components. Don't wait!

ETA: Hi Tech ammo has pulled M193 for $25/k.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top