Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 6:30:37 PM EDT
First let me say I have shot over 6k rounds of the old lacquar case Wolf ammo with no ammo related failures. So I'm not looking for a Wolf bash. I am almost out of my old supply, and need to order some of the new Wolf ammo. I shoot at an indoor range that requires HP ammo.

I was thinking of ordering 3k rounds of the 62 grain, but have heard that it has some feeding problems that the 55 does not. Is this true, should I just order the 55?

Thanks

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't look very closely when I picked up my last case at a funshow and grabbed a case of 62gr. HP.

Of the three rifles I have it shot great in all but one and that was with one certain magazine. The rifle is a Colt large hole upper with a sleeve glued in, mated to a small hole Superior lower. As I said, only one magazine would jam up. The HPs would jam on the barrel extension. If I rocked the magazine the bolt would usually go forward. It did this every 3 or 4 rounds. I marked that magazine as FMJ's only. I think if the receiver had M4 feed ramps there wouldn't have been a problem at all.

So, my guess is, if you have matching style receivers and good magazines you won't have any problems.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the feedback. I may stick to 55 grain, if there is no advantage to the 62.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I too had tons of the old 55 grain wolf and shot it all away.  I then got an LMT w/ a 1/7 bbl and got some 62 gr HP wolf, like you for an indoor range.  Never had one malfunction in about 1k.  Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
    I added 10 boxes of 62gr. wolf hp to an order from natchez today. They were out of 55's, i was going to get both to see how accurate they are compared to wolf fmj. 2.68 per box/20. If they get here in time, i'll probably shoot them this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I am interested to see how the 62g hp's work.

It would also be nice if someone shot it into ballistic gelatin and posted the results.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used both with no problems.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#7]
No problems with the 62 g HP with mine.

YMMV

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting. Maybe I'll order 2k 55 and 1k 62 grain just to try out. Thanks for the replies, I'll post back with results.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top