Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2006 10:04:03 PM EDT
Is anyone using it?  Have you run into any problems?  I am having problems with the primers falling out during rifle operation.  I have never seen this before.  Is this an ammo problem or possible problem with my rifle?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Is anybody using this stuff or would I be better off asking in the AR variant forum?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#2]
If you go to the AR Discussions Forum at the top of the page is a tacked thread about the 6.8 SPC, some of the posters there have used ammo from silver state.

Joe
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#3]
STOP using the ammo right now! the primers are blowing out from excessive pressure. way over max pressures when this happens.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to call SSA right now, and stop shooting the ammo in your gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Major +1 there.

Could be a number of things. Way over pressure comes to mind first, but so does out of spec brass or primers.  Regardless, not what  I would call a safe situation.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#6]
There is also the porblem that at least 1 batch of 6.8 barrels is known to have gone out the door with undersized bores causing pressure spikes.

Get in ouch with Art or John at SSA. They ahve the details.

Do not shoot any more of the stuff and save all the empties if possible.

Smion
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, already had intentions to give SSA a call.  I talked to Art yesterday for a  bit and everything is taken care of.   I don't really think either is really to blame.  But I have a barrel in which the chamber is known for being on the low side so that is more than likely causing the problems.

The only problem now is that I still have to get my rifle unf***ed.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a barrel on the way from Noveske due to the exact same problem you are having. Is this a Model 1 barrel? Mine was.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#9]
The problem is only with the X-Treme projectile and only in some guns. LW, Barretts, TC'S amd Remington 700's handle it fine and are getting excellent volcities 2600+.  There are difference between chambers and in some guns the chroming was not allowed for during rifling and chambering that are driving up pressures.

To be on the safe side we now down loading the X-Treme, which is not making some guy's happy. The Match King and Pro - Hunter  are not giving any problems so we are still maintaining the higher velocities with them.

If anyone has problems we are replacing the ammo at no charge to the custumer.

Art - SSA
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Ya know Art, I hate to sound like a kiss ass, but you are really a great dude. You address the problem swiftly and directly, and are great on the phone.

I really do appreciate those qualities, as do others I am sure.

Thanks man.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is anyone using it?  Have you run into any problems?  I am having problems with the primers falling out during rifle operation.  I have never seen this before.  Is this an ammo problem or possible problem with my rifle?

I'm using it, and it runs pretty good in my rifle.

Primers popping out sounds like an overpressure issue.  Your chamber is probably too tight (is it one of the Chrome Lined barrels?).  I know SSA started downloading the TMJ round because some manufactures chambers are too tight and there were signs of overpressure (like yours).
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm using it, and it runs pretty good in my rifle.

Primers popping out sounds like an overpressure issue.  Your chamber is probably too tight (is it one of the Chrome Lined barrels?).  I know SSA started downloading the TMJ round because some manufactures chambers are too tight and there were signs of overpressure (like yours).

I have had no problems with my MSTN built 6.8s, if it is an ammo/pressure issue by all means correct it assuming a correct chamber. If it is a Model 1 issue, fix the damn chamber and don't screw with the ammo.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Guy's

Picture this:

When Remington came out with their ammo they were running 2600 +FPS. Barrett and others started making rifles around this round (small gas ports). Military started testing with the 6.8 with Remington ammo and were blowing primers, base hardness issue. To correct the problem Remington down loaded their rounds. By down loading their rounds the Barretts and other guns started to short stroke.
The Military was none to happy.

To correct the short stroking problem gun manufactures started to open up their gas ports.  Now if run a hotter load with the larger gas port you increase recoil and the possiblity of releasing the bolt early.  Now if your weapon starts out the a timing issue it will now be compounded. Take all this into consideration along with smaller chambers and not allowing for chroming, sometimes I wonder how anyone has a gun that works.

Art - SSA

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top