Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 3:03:54 PM EDT
Any chance that it is legal for civilian purchase. And if so anyone have a lead on some. If you are wondering what this amo is I am providing a link.  

M995
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Illegal to sell or manufacture.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
No way Jose. Good for a trip to FMAFP.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I got some from my Cuz who is in the army
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:24:26 AM EDT
[#5]
doubt it, because M995 has been issued in extremely small numbers and seldom outside "special operations" units. The only people I have seen with "quantities" of M995 are Navy SEALs, and by quanitites I mean a few SAW belts. A dear friend of mine is a SEAL and I had a chance to talk shop with him while he was home on leave. He carries a Para SAW as his primary weapon and told me he linked his belts with a mix of Mk262, M995 and tracers. I asked him how Mk262 responded to being "belt fed" and he said he has had no problems and many SEALs carrying Para SAW's have thier belts linked the same, which is how he got the idea. Outside of "special operations" this specialty ammunition, especially M995 is not common place. M995 isn't new technology and has been around since the late 90's and for some reason, has yet to be widely issued. I am guessing its a cost issue or it could be a "wait and see" attitude based on thier findings with SAWs and 5.56 rounds. Lethality of M995 is extremely poor as it does not fragment like M855, though it offers improved penetration. If you do have M995 in your posession, then you just admitted to breaking federal law on a gun website, most certainly monitered by the BATF, "trolling" for such violations. Since the cats out of the bag and you have already admitted to the crime, post pictures and I will apologize for insinuating you are a noob.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Can someone explain that law.  Why can you but Armor piercing rifle rounds for 308 and 30-06 but not for 5.56.

Does it have something to do with the ammo being manufactured after a certain date?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can someone explain that law.  Why can you but Armor piercing rifle rounds for 308 and 30-06 but not for 5.56.

Does it have something to do with the ammo being manufactured after a certain date?

Yes.

Also - no real advantage to AP ammo in a rifle like the AR15 anyway.
Regular ball will easily penetrate most body armor out there.
AP ammo is designed to pierce actual armor - like that on vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Oh lord I want some, that stuff is beautiful.  I suppose I can paint the tips black on some WWB and pretend.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I've heard that the reason civilians can't purchase it is because there are also pistols chambered in 5.56. I believe that is the law. If there is a pistol that shoots the caliber, then you can no longer make AP rounds for civilian purchase in that caliber. That is why you can still get it in 30.06, and some other rifle cartirdges.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top