Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2006 10:46:36 AM EDT
Anyone have experience shooting this combination?   My mini has a shortened barrel, 13 inches, with extended flash hider.  Some report short stroking with shorter AR barrels.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If your Mini-14 has the stock gas port bushing, it vents quite a bit more gas into the action than is needed to run the gun.  This helps keep the gun functioning if it's dirty or lacking lube, and I bet it would allow you to run RG just fine.  FWIW, my stock Mini-14 runs great on Wolf, which short strokes in my Colt AR-15.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#2]
When the SS109 first came into the world I bought a couple BANDOLIERS of the Canadian stuff
My Mini 14 shot it like Shit!
Thats because it had a 1/14 twist way back then 80`S

Now I think Mini 14 have different twist rate!
if you have a 1/9 should work okay?
Back then I used Q3131 and PMC brown box/ camo box! norrinco also
Man that was the Good ole days
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you guys.  I was thinking about changing the gas port bushing to reduce recoil and looking for my brass.  Also, I think it does have the quicker rate of twist.   Looks like I am good to go.  I appreciate the help.
Speaking of the old Q3131, I have a box sitting on my desk.  I believe it is of 89 production and is stamped WCC.   If I remember correctly, this stuff was pretty expensive at the time , $4.00-5.00.  However, it was too many years ago for me to remember with certainty.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When the SS109 first came into the world I bought a couple BANDOLIERS of the Canadian stuff
My Mini 14 shot it like Shit!
Thats because it had a 1/14 twist way back then 80`S

My early 1980s vintage Mini-14 has a 1/10 twist.  Ruger has changed the twist on the Mini-14 a couple of times.  I think current production rifles have a 1/9 twist.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Just received my two orders from Widener.  Watched a movie putting 1400 rounds of stripper clips.  The ammo is clean and both containers were marked 1990.  I think a fair price for some good looking ammo.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top