Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 4:30:27 PM EDT
Lacquer-coated ammo Good or Bad for ur rifle? Looking for opinions...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
AR15.com > Ammunition Forum > Ammunition Forum Rules and FAQ > AR15.com Ammo Oracle > What is Moly? What is it good for?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
AR15.com > Ammunition Forum > Ammunition Forum Rules and FAQ > AR15.com Ammo Oracle > What is Moly? What is it good for?

The only problem is that he's asking about Wolf or similar, not moly-coated bullets.  

If you are going to shoot it in "ur" rifle, use the newest Wolf.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:02:18 AM EDT
[#3]
It will gunk-up your chamber after a while.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#4]
if you have any doubts, shoot only the new Wolf that has poly coated the shell.

after 18k through MY rifle I think all rumors are snake oil myth
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I put about 10000 rounds of it through my last Bushmaster without problems.  I don't use it in my new LMT because the chamber is too tight for steel cased ammo. It has nothing to do with the lacquer though, cases will stick when the barrel is cold.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I went to the range two days ago and fired a bunch through <gasp> a mini 14.  (I save the good stuff for my AR).  No problems caused by the ammo, it all went bang.  I after field stripping I squirted it with brake cleaner and all this red gunk came out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Good for AK's...
Bad for AR's....Ar's have tighter chambers and don't take to well to lacquer..It gets hot and goos and then cools  and then it jams..
But polymer wolf is no issue..
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're talking about the newer wolf with the poly coating, there are some reports of people having problems shooting the poly coat wolf, and then also shooting stuff right after like the SA battlepacks.
I know I had that problem, the poly left some residue in the chamber or something, and I started getting Failure to Ejects in a big way.  I thought it was just me till I read on ARF that others had the same problem.
I'm hoping I find a good resolution to this, cuz I much prefer the Wolf price to the more expensive brands I've seen.

All of that stuff shoots great in my Mini, though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Any GOOD AR 15 can Handle WOLF
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't start that IS WOLF GOOD FOR MY AR tread.....
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Any GOOD AR 15 can Handle WOLF

Yep.

It's the anal owners that can't.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I shot Lacquer coated Wolf ammo for years, and it was just fine.  (although a bit underpowered.)

I never had any issues with gumming the chamber, etc....

Monarch still sells lacquer coated stuff and I have no problem shooting it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't say the anal owners can't, I'd say a few of the AR's can't, when you mix ammo.
Personally I'd shoot the hell out of it, if I can get it working in mine. I'm hoping my luck will improve.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#14]
OSPREY21

Meet me a Webb  Range of 75 I would like to Talk to ya?
Since you pulled a no show?

BTW uxo2

1911 are better than GLOCK by a Mile!!

PLZ spare me
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#15]
GARY-G23  You have GREAT TASTE

I have a Bushwhacker A1 Shorty also and shot lots of the Wolf!
Great  arent they?

Also have a LMT 14.5 1/7 twist I have only shot about 300rds so far LC M855 and Black Hills 77gr.

Thanks on the TIP?

I thought ALL LMT had 5.56mm Chambers?

I think I will stick with M855/SS109 and BLack Hills 77/75 since I have Tons of it!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:13:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been using the monarch with the laquer coating...I havent had any problems yet, but i clean the hell out of it first chance i get. Thinking about trying some top of the line ammo next shoot to see if i get better shot grouping. Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:48:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have been using the monarch with the laquer coating...I havent had any problems yet, but i clean the hell out of it first chance i get. Thinking about trying some top of the line ammo next shoot to see if i get better shot grouping. Thanks for the info guys.

+1 for wolf
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:52:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Wolf anything is becoming harder and harder to find at good prices.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Steel cased ammunition is typically lacquered to prevent the steel from corroding.  For a while, Wolf went a little whacky with how much lacquer they used-or maybe they changed formulas and did it wrong-and Wolf steel cased 5.56mm ammunition tended to leave goop in AR chambers.  They have since changed to a "polymer" coating that apparently does not leave any goop.

Note that lacquer is also technically a polymer using non-petrochemical-based chemicals.  Beside the point but a useful bit of data sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I EVEN LOVE COPPER WASHED AMMO!!!!!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top