Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 7:52:42 PM EDT
Ok , so my normal ( or what i deem normal) routine of going shopping at walmart after church.

So , i'm at walmart with a friend of mine who i sorta play the *big brother* role with. We were at the gun counter just looking at ammo , and i was looking to see thier prices on various ammo. The gun guy came back , opned up the racks and was showing me thier mossberg and remington rifles. Pretty cool , they usually don't do that for me , but they did this time , i think the guy was bored. Anyway , i was sorta low on cash but just felt in the mood to buy something , so i figured a box of 22 stingers would be about right , so i asked him for a box. I  got ready to pay him and he told me the register was shut down for the night , and i had to go to the front to check it out. They rang it up ,and it said it required a age check. I already had my license out to hand to em. They checked it and said 'Sorry , but you're not old enough' I told them that 22 ammo was usually used for a rifle, as which this ammo would be used for. They told me they wouldn't sell it to me becuase that would be illegal. I proceeded to tell them that the law says if it were to be used for a pistol , i'd have to be 21, but for a rifle i'd have to be 18 ( i'm 6 months away from being 21) I told them i wanted to speak with the manager. They said they'd give me his name , obviously i wasn't too happy with the whole process of things , and the 3 teenage checkout people weren't too happy with me.  So , i left , and told em that they'd most likely be hearing about it again.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I expect so little from them.... I try to shop anywhere else.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait six months and try again.

This happened to me before. Yes its BS, but these days common sense takes a back seat to everything else.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]
don't much like walmart myself.

find some place else to buy ammo and guns

or go back and talk to the manger and get this worked out.

I'm sure the "computer says" and since the idiots at wally world can't think for themselfs you got shafted

whatever
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm 19 and have bought 9mm ammo at walmart. Told 'em it was for a rifle and aside from the odd look, was on my way without incident.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't blame the guy at the register, he's just doing as he's told.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Go back tomorrow, ask to see a manager/supervisor and complain.
insist that they give clear and correct instructions to their employees.

Then, next time it happens, say "I think they have the law about this printed on the bottom of the box",
open the bbox, turn it upside down, say "oh, I was mistaken" - hand back the empty box and leave them to pick up the 50 rounds and put them back in the box
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell them It's called 22 long RIFLE for a reason.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Hell, I've had a cashier at a gas station refuse to sell me one gallon of gasoline.

Long story short, I finally found out that she refused the sale because the price for one gallon was something like $1.23 and 9/10ths, and she could not figure out how to give me 1/10ths change.

She didn't volunteer the reason to me, and was quite willing to just have me walk right back out the door without purchasing the gas.  After I explained to her that I was willing to purchase $1.24 worth of gasoline, did she finally relent.

I kid you not.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:21:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Yea exactly lol...they didnt put that "Rifle" word in there just for shits and giggles.... dont feel bad man, some ppl are just idiots
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Here in NoVA, you're lucky if you can get a WM employee to even come to the gun counter where all the ammo is kept.  I have had to ask 5, 6 even 7 times to get someone back there, and then it's a miracle if they can find the keys. WalMart sucks balls.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#11]
It's a real shame but I think some of these discounters are so worried about law suits that they get the mentality of "better not to sell to a 20 year old and possiblly get bad press and a law suit."  It's just sickning and putting a big hurt on this country.  The system should be like England.  Sue whoever you want but the looser pays the legal tab for both sides.
I was sued once by a vindictive person and in the three years it took to get to court it cost me 10s of thousands of dollars in legal fees.  The person sueing had a free lawyer.  The suit was so flawed and stupid that on the day of trial the judge wouldn't even hear it.  That was back in the early eightys and there was little recourse then.  Just my rant about lawsuits.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Here in NoVA, you're lucky if you can get a WM employee to even come to the gun counter where all the ammo is kept.  I have had to ask 5, 6 even 7 times to get someone back there, and then it's a miracle if they can find the keys. WalMart sucks balls.

Dude, you need to shop at the WM in Sterling, right next to Dulles Town Center.  The young lady who works the counter in Sporting Goods there knows her shit, and she is easy to get along with.  I've never had a single problem buying ammo there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#13]
They did that to me a while back.  Turns out the register asked, "is customer 21?"  Well, a few months later, it had changed back to, "is customer 18?"  Don't know why that changed, but I'm glad it did.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Two words:

MINIMUM WAGE
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#15]
How dare you talk down Wal-mart! You must be a liberal, pinko, nazi.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd say that's just typical Wal-Mart. At my hometown Wal-Mart the ammo counter guy is a really nice guy probably in his 50s, and he goes out of his way to speak to my two year old son. You never have to go search for him either.

OTOH, the Wal-Mart in the town where I work has the most unpleasant bitch working in the sporting goods dept. If you need anything you have to go search for her, and she never has that mysterious key to open the ammo counter. She doesn't know a damn thing about ammo, yet she will ask you what kind of ammo you want when you're three aisles away from the ammo counter and of course when you get to the counter she doesn't know what the heck you're talking about. She apparently is a gangsta-bitch wannabe, or has been.

I only recently started buying ammo at Wal-Mart, but the only ammo I buy there outside of .22 ammo is the 55 grain WWB forty-round box and a few shotgun shells.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Dude, i feel you!! Yesterday i went and had to look around for 15 minutes to find someone, and he was a stock guy, so I had to ask him to page someone to the sporting goods... Its like, they never have anyone working there, I couldnt find anyone on that whole side of the store for that matter. Wal mart does suck balls from time to time...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, you need to shop at the WM in Sterling, right next to Dulles Town Center.  The young lady who works the counter in Sporting Goods there knows her shit, and she is easy to get along with.  I've never had a single problem buying ammo there.

My wife knows when I have gotten my ammo when they stop saying "Will the employee with the key to sporting goods, please assist a customer" over the PA, this is at the Sterling Wal-Mart , I always have to wait at least 15-20 minutes to get someone to open the case.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#19]
wal-mart makes me so mad. If things keep going the way they are, they will be the only stores left and we will be working there because they helped send all of our jobs to china.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#20]
What you see at wal-mart is just a barometer.  It's an indicator of how screwed up our society has become when it comes to guns.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Two words:

MINIMUM WAGE

wal mart people do not make minimum wage, far from it. I made 9.50 in the deli and I only worked there a year while I started college. There is no reason they should not know the law, they are tested on it, they have a training course and you have to pass these courses to work and even I who didn't touch a register had to learn about this and pass the test on it. I left because the company is crooked, they broke the law and everyone I worked with was ignorant, really ignorant
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Two words:

MINIMUM WAGE

wal mart people do not make minimum wage, far from it. I made 9.50 in the deli and I only worked there a year while I started college. There is no reason they should not know the law, they are tested on it, they have a training course and you have to pass these courses to work and even I who didn't touch a register had to learn about this and pass the test on it. I left because the company is crooked, they broke the law and everyone I worked with was ignorant, really ignorant

Speak for yourself... the wal mart where im from, hazard ky would start you at 5.15..(minimum wage)
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Two words:

MINIMUM WAGE

Three words:

Work from Welfare
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Ok , so my normal ( or what i deem normal) routine of going shopping at walmart after church.

So , i'm at walmart with a friend of mine who i sorta play the *big brother* role with. We were at the gun counter just looking at ammo , and i was looking to see thier prices on various ammo. The gun guy came back , opned up the racks and was showing me thier mossberg and remington rifles. Pretty cool , they usually don't do that for me , but they did this time , i think the guy was bored. Anyway , i was sorta low on cash but just felt in the mood to buy something , so i figured a box of 22 stingers would be about right , so i asked him for a box. I  got ready to pay him and he told me the register was shut down for the night , and i had to go to the front to check it out. They rang it up ,and it said it required a age check. I already had my license out to hand to em. They checked it and said 'Sorry , but you're not old enough' I told them that 22 ammo was usually used for a rifle, as which this ammo would be used for. They told me they wouldn't sell it to me becuase that would be illegal. I proceeded to tell them that the law says if it were to be used for a pistol , i'd have to be 21, but for a rifle i'd have to be 18 ( i'm 6 months away from being 21) I told them i wanted to speak with the manager. They said they'd give me his name , obviously i wasn't too happy with the whole process of things , and the 3 teenage checkout people weren't too happy with me.  So , i left , and told em that they'd most likely be hearing about it again.

Any thoughts?

Next time take a 20 1/2 year old black kid with you to buy your ammo. When the asshats refuse to sell you 22LR, have him scream that he is being discriminated against, and watch the Wal-mart assholes scatter like ants when you kickover their anthill. Just for fun!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I just went to Wal Mart to get some of the 223 value packs to shoot tomorrow. I had to go to 3 stores to find any. One guy said there had been a run on ammo andsomeone bought 400.00 the other day (Oh my).
Anyway my point is that he stated they used to have 8 people working in the sporting goods and now they are cut down to only 2 and are way understaffed. Have to blame Wal Mart for that not the employees.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh definately, its about 95% wal mart's fault... They are definately understaffed...  The thing that kills me, is half the time there will be no one there, the other half there will be 2 to 3 ppl behind the counter and 10 ppl in line and the other 2 will just stand there looking around playin pocket pool... It kills me, step out behind the cashier and say "Can I help who's next please?" I mean, is that so much to ask????  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#27]
LMAO..  Just called my local walmart to get some prices.   She was giving me the different prices and then she said

the most expensive is the 50 pack for 18.37 its silvertip ballistic so if you want to hunt werewolves thats the one you want..  

http://www.mustangworld.com/forums/images/smilies/biglaugh.gif
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Same thing happened to me at our local one. No .22's or .40 S&W.

I have a buddy that works at another one 10 minutes up the road that I might try out. Hemight be able to......"help" me out with my purchases.

(yet another 19 year old)

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's EXACTLY the one I have repeated problems at.  I know who you're talking about, but she's never there when I come by.  That WM is about 5 minutes from my house.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#30]
walmart usually has the sporting goods guy stocking shelves or working someones elses area because walmart cant keep anyone with half a brain working there. and when they find someone to work sporting goods they keep them so busy and stressed out because they have to do everyone elses job and dealing with the walmart bs... i did sporting goods at a walmart part time thinking it would be fun and a little extra money, now i feel real bad for the guy at the sporting goods counter its not a fun place to work. but the store i worked at has some issues with management.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I've gotten fed up with WalMart around here because at all but one of the stores around here, they have to page someone to get me the ammo, and I end up waiting 15 to 45 minutes to get my damn ammo.

To make it even worse, most places around here usually only have one or two valuepacks of 9mm in stock.  If I want more than that, like 500 rounds, I have to visit several WalMarts and clean them out.

For a contrast, I went to a WalMart in Atlanta and bought several cases of 9mm and .40.      

I have a bad habit, though, they rarely ask me if it's for a pistol or a rifle, but when they do, sometimes I tell them "it's for a machine gun".    
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#32]

sometimes I tell them "it's for a machine gun".     hr

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA   Im gonna try that next time....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I never have problems at my Wally- World.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top