BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2006 6:54:29 PM EDT
What primer is the M855 bullet adoption that the LC produce?

Boxer or Berdan ?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Boxer, all US manufactured ammo is Boxer Primed, Mostly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Boxer, all US manufactured ammo is Boxer Primed, Mostly.

thanks
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Can the bullet that adopts different primer mix an usage?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

huh?  Are you asking if you can use Boxer or Berden primers?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

huh?  Are you asking if you can use Boxer or Berden primers?

some 5.56mm bullets use Berden primer that we manufacture
whether can mix use?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
They will both work. Berdan would be hard to reload.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They will both work. Berdan would be hard to reload.

Why reload??
223 Remington/ NEW Ammo/FMJBT/1000 rds = $190
Isn't the American very rich?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I can reload 1K for $100.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I can reload 1K for $100.

include labor force price ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
No. I am labor force. It is an enjoyable activity.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

how do you get 1000 share WC844?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:11:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Also, by reloading your own ammo you can make better quality ammo that is more accurate.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Also, by reloading your own ammo you can make better quality ammo that is more accurate.

nation match grade?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

nation match grade?

yes, good hand loads well reach national match grade accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:25:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nation match grade?

the sniper use to the reload cartridges?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:40:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nation match grade?

the sniper use to the reload cartridges?

No. To my (limited) knowledge, snipers use Federal Gold Match (in .308). I do not think that reloads are allowed for any soldiers in war.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:30:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

if you can, post  pic, please.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:39:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No. To my (limited) knowledge, snipers use Federal Gold Match (in .308). I do not think that reloads are allowed for any soldiers in war.

please post some clear-cut  pics, if you can.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Left is 55gr Remington factory ammo, on the right are Handloads, Sierra 52 gr HPBT over 25.0 gr, AA-2460.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

please post some clear-cut  pics, if you can.

Like that?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Is m118LR Fed GMM?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I dont' believe the military uses federal gold match.  What you posted (m118LR) is what is used to my knowledge.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Won't be shooting this box needless to say    
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/cakebike/LCMATCH.jpg

Can you take out the cartridge?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, it is unopened and will remain that way
Sorry
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#27]
The military uses Lake City M118LR as posted on the previous page. However I know that some units are using Black Hills 175gr ammunition that they purchased with credit cards, do to supply issues with the M118LR.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, it is unopened and will remain that way
Sorry

Because it is a collector's item now, and collectors want the box unopened, I believe.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how do you get 1000 share WC844?

I reload match type ammunition. I can reload a 69gr Sierra Matchking round, with Varget powder for about 21 cents per round. The cheapest price I've seen for the Federal Match round is about 80 cents per round. 4 times the cost, and my load is pretty close in accuracy.

I don't reload the FMJ type ammunition, because I'm not saving enough money. 21 cents buys either a FMJ round that gives me about 4" groups at 100 yards, or 21 cents can buy me a match reload that does about half that. (my skill is not great enough to do better, although the rifle is probably accurate enough to do so).

It's a good way to pass the winter months, when it's too cold to do much outside.

Sorry, I'm not sure how to ship those 1000 shares of WC844 to you without getting into serious trouble.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:45:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I reload match type ammunition. I can reload a 69gr Sierra Matchking round, with Varget powder for about 21 cents per round. The cheapest price I've seen for the Federal Match round is about 80 cents per round. 4 times the cost, and my load is pretty close in accuracy.

I don't reload the FMJ type ammunition, because I'm not saving enough money. 21 cents buys either a FMJ round that gives me about 4" groups at 100 yards, or 21 cents can buy me a match reload that does about half that. (my skill is not great enough to do better, although the rifle is probably accurate enough to do so).

It's a good way to pass the winter months, when it's too cold to do much outside.

Sorry, I'm not sure how to ship those 1000 shares of WC844 to you without getting into serious trouble.

If you need to reload 1,000 rounds, how fast and accurate weighing 1,000 propellants?
can you display some of the pictures with the reload bullets?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:17:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you need to reload 1,000 rounds, how fast and accurate weighing 1,000 propellants?
can you display some of the pictures with the reload bullets?

It's not a fast process. I load about 25 rounds per hour on the average. I use a RCBS brand press setup.  I do it in my spare time, which is plentiful during the winter.

Weighing the powder charges does take time, but the case preparation takes the longest. My scale is accurate to within .1 grain as I recall. I use a manual beam balance type. There are electronic ones available too.

Pictures of the loaded ammunition and my reloading setup/work bench.

I usually have at least 1000 to 2000 rounds in various states of completion at any given time (less during the warmer months, when I'm shooting some of it up).
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:44:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

It's not a fast process. I load about 25 rounds per hour on the average. I use a RCBS brand press setup.  I do it in my spare time, which is plentiful during the winter.

Weighing the powder charges does take time, but the case preparation takes the longest. My scale is accurate to within .1 grain as I recall. I use a manual beam balance type. There are electronic ones available too.

img214.imageshack.us/img214/9496/resizedreload23tx.jpg

img122.imageshack.us/img122/922/resizedreload30gn.jpg

img214.imageshack.us/img214/8231/resizedreload45wt.jpg

img122.imageshack.us/img122/3613/resizedreload59mf.jpg

I usually have at least 1000 to 2000 rounds in various states of completion at any given time (less during the warmer months, when I'm shooting some of it up).

These things are you?!
bullets are boat tail hollow point?
You can use pictures told me one bullets assembly steps?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img214.imageshack.us/img214/9496/resizedreload23tx.jpg

img122.imageshack.us/img122/922/resizedreload30gn.jpg

img214.imageshack.us/img214/8231/resizedreload45wt.jpg

img122.imageshack.us/img122/3613/resizedreload59mf.jpg

These things are you?!
bullets are boat tail hollow point?
You can use pictures told me one bullets assembly steps?

Yes, that was my ammunition and reloading area. Yes, the match bullets are boat tail hollow points, 69grain Sierra Matchkings. There are also numerous cans of purchased ammunition. I have a fairly large stockpile of ammunition, although there are many people on this site who have much more than I.

I think it would be difficult to show you the various steps myself. Here is a basic step by step guide from one of the largest powder manufacturers: www.alliantpowder.com/beginner/how_to_cartridges.php

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yes, that was my ammunition and reloading area. Yes, the match bullets are boat tail hollow points, 69grain Sierra Matchkings. There are also numerous cans of purchased ammunition. I have a fairly large stockpile of ammunition, although there are many people on this site who have much more than I.

I think it would be difficult to show you the various steps myself. Here is a basic step by step guide from one of the largest powder manufacturers: www.alliantpowder.com/beginner/how_to_cartridges.php

Thanks, like you need to do assembly and marketing bullets licence?

Why these bullets were compressed?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#35]
No, no licenses are necessary. Unless you plan to sell to others. Some states require you to show identification to buy the powder or primers, but not very many. One can buy the components by mail order and have them delivered to your home.

I am not sure what you meant by "why these bullets were compressed".
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
No, no licenses are necessary. Unless you plan to sell to others. Some states require you to show identification to buy the powder or primers, but not very many. One can buy the components by mail order and have them delivered to your home.

These bullets are all your own use? !
These cases have been compressed.
why?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why?

Yes, the ammunition is all for my own use. I shoot probably 3000-4000 rounds of rifle ammunition per year, and perhaps 2000 pistol rounds per year. I do not keep exact records, and it varies from year to year of course. I am trying to increase the amount of shooting I do, and plan to take some training courses this year if possible, to increase my skills.

Are you asking why the mouth of the case is compressed into the bullet? If so, that is to prevent the bullet from changing position in the case due to recoil of the gun. If the bullet length shortens because the bullet tips are hitting the front of the magazine due to recoil, the pressure can significantly increase when the round is fired. This can be hazardous to say the least. This procedure is called "crimping".
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, like you need to do assembly and marketing bullets licence?

nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/044691000/44691155/pix90547250.jpg
Why these bullets were compressed?

Are you asking why they are packaged as they are?

They are on stripper clips (the gray pieces of metal attached to the cartridges' bases) to facilitate easy loading into magazines.

They are packed facing opposite directions to take up less space.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

America is not as fucked up as you have been told, tien?   Just about anyone who wants to can get brass, bullets, powder, primers, and tools and make as much ammo as they damn well please for any type of rifle.  Pretty fucking cool, hey?  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why?

Yes, the ammunition is all for my own use. I shoot probably 3000-4000 rounds of rifle ammunition per year, and perhaps 2000 pistol rounds per year. I do not keep exact records, and it varies from year to year of course. I am trying to increase the amount of shooting I do, and plan to take some training courses this year if possible, to increase my skills.

Are you asking why the mouth of the case is compressed into the bullet? If so, that is to prevent the bullet from changing position in the case due to recoil of the gun. If the bullet length shortens because the bullet tips are hitting the front of the magazine due to recoil, the pressure can significantly increase when the round is fired. This can be hazardous to say the least. This procedure is called "crimping".

Thank you, I thought you had a M134.
The circular cross-section is the case, but I found "gunbroker.com" many bullets, it was like a hammer beat.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#41]
please upload some primers pictures, if you can.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:47:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Anything in particular? I only have primers of the small rifle variety at this point.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:01:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Sniper Wolfe stated the snipers can't use handloads in war. I'm not sure that's entirely true.

A recent segment that aired on the History Channel about Army Snipers at Ft. Benning included a tour
of the school and the workshop where they bed their own actions and handload their ammo using a single stage press; weighing every powder charge.

What the segment did not air was an explanation re: how those loads are used. When I was in officer training, in the mid 1980s we were taught the Geneva and Hague rules of warfare that made it illegal
to modify issued ammunition, use of exploding/expanding projectiles, or otherwise coating projecticles with toxic substances, etc. but to best of my memory nothing addressed the use of reloaded or handloaded ammunition that I can recall.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:25:21 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Sniper Wolfe stated the snipers can't use handloads in war. I'm not sure that's entirely true.

A recent segment that aired on the History Channel about Army Snipers at Ft. Benning included a tour
of the school and the workshop where they bed their own actions and handload their ammo using a single stage press; weighing every powder charge.

What the segment did not air was an explanation re: how those loads are used. When I was in officer training, in the mid 1980s we were taught the Geneva and Hague rules of warfare that made it illegal
to modify issued ammunition, use of exploding/expanding projectiles, or otherwise coating projecticles with toxic substances, etc. but to best of my memory nothing addressed the use of reloaded or handloaded ammunition that I can recall.

I was going to say the same thing.  I saw a show on the same exact thing.  Sniper rounds are handloads and have to be EXACT to their specs.  Even the rifles are handmade and tuned by their armory.  That is if I remember correctly what I watched.  It was on a while ago.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:29:44 AM EDT
[#45]
This website sells reloading machines.

http://dillonprecision.com/

Some kinds of ammunition are fairly expensive. For example, several years ago a box (fifty cartridges) of .45 Colt (an old revolver cartridge) would sell for about $20.00 but I could reload a box for about $4.00 a box.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything in particular? I only have primers of the small rifle variety at this point.

I hope to see primers appearance.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was going to say the same thing.  I saw a show on the same exact thing.  Sniper rounds are handloads and have to be EXACT to their specs.  Even the rifles are handmade and tuned by their armory.  That is if I remember correctly what I watched.  It was on a while ago.

I guess I'm wrong then. I am not very knowledgable about the subject.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope to see primers appearance.

Here you go:

Close up:

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Here you go:

img212.imageshack.us/img212/3695/resizedprimerpic19oh.jpg

Close up:

img212.imageshack.us/img212/1180/resizedprimerpic28uh.jpg

Hope this helps.

Very grateful to these is what I needed.
"small rifle" mean?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:19:10 AM EDT
[#50]
There are several varieties of primers for rifle, small and large. Plus for each type there are regular primers and "magnum" primers.  Magnum primers are intended for harder to ignite powders, while regular can be used for many other powders. The reloading manuals tell you which one to use.

There are also small and large primers for pistol ammunition also.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top