Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 7:40:46 AM EDT
I'd like to stock up on some .308 ammo for my DPMS. The problem is that I shoot Federal 150gr Nosler ballistic tips and they are well over $1 per round. It's making it real hard for me to stockpile much. I thought about stocking up on some cheap FMJ stuff, but which brand and type? for long term storage in sealed military ammo cans with dessicant. I am going to start reloading my own as well to save some $$ but are reloads ok for long term storage/SHTF ammo? Is there a way I can seal primers and bullets at home like they do commercially? Maybe I could duplicate this expensive Federal load at home if there is a way to seal them??? any advice??
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#1]
hornady tap
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#2]
You might get some of the South African 7.62X51 surplus, (from AIM Surplus), for SHTF storage and general practice.  Cost effective and damn good ammo.

Reloads store just fine long term as long as you keep them in sealed ammo cans with dessicant.  If you pack the cans in a very warm room with everything going into the can as warm, when the can cools off it will draw a slight vacuum.  If the seals are good, it's just like having your ammo vacuum packed.  Then what little air that does infiltrate over the years will be dryed by the dessicant.

If you are going to store your reloads in sealed ammo cans you don't really need to seal them.  I have reloads that are 25+ years old that shoot as good today as they did then.  They have been stored in ammo cans but with no dessicant.  Keeping all ammo in a climate controlled area is the trick to long term storage.  Cool and dry.

I typically reload match ammo and varmint ammo and stockpile good surplus when it becomes available.  But storing reloads is not a problem.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I've shot reloads stored in a "michigan" basement that was damp for the past 25 years [38 spl] Every one I have shot so far has been accurate and went bang.

I'd suggest you buy some SA .308 in battle packs shoot some and store some. The SA knew how to BP ammo and I've NEVER seen ANY even tarnish on the ammo. +1 on the consistant temps. Mine is stored at a consistant 58-60 to 68-70 tops. I'll be dead long before it goes bad.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Hornady 155 AMAX is the king when it comes to performance. It's expensive, but it is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I buy reloaded one fired Fed. GMM cases loaded with 168gr AMAX for $9.00 per 20 round boxes.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the South African .308.  Its the current deal-o-rama. Plus, I gotta admit, for some reason I just love those Battle Packs.  About the size of a MRE, but its food for your rifle!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top