Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2006 8:01:59 AM EDT
As supporters and, now, sponsors of AR15.com, we at AIM would like to update you regarding our Guatemalan surplus 223 ammunition. After reading about a couple of reports of tarnished or corroded ammunition, we began inspecting one pack in four of each case of this ammunition to insure its condition. We have found very little ammo to be unacceptable, however, if you have received ammunition in corroded and unuseable condition, please contact Bryan or Erik at 888-748-5252 for a satisfactory resolution. We are thrilled to offer the Guatemalan 223 and want to assure you we are making every effort to provide you with quality and reliable ammunition at a very fair price..We thank you for your continued business!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As supporters and, now, sponsors of AR15.com, we at AIM would like to update you regarding our Guatemalan surplus 223 ammunition. After reading about a couple of reports of tarnished or corroded ammunition, we began inspecting one pack in four of each case of this ammunition to insure its condition. We have found very little ammo to be unacceptable, however, if you have received ammunition in corroded and unuseable condition, please contact Bryan or Erik at 888-748-5252 for a satisfactory resolution. We are thrilled to offer the Guatemalan 223 and want to assure you we are making every effort to provide you with quality and reliable ammunition at a very fair price..We thank you for your continued business!

So, do we get like a special secret entrance for our local pick ups now?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn, thats great news hats off to AIM.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As supporters and, now, sponsors of AR15.com,

AWESOME!!!  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The real question is when will you have CZ52 again????  

As far as customer service:

long ago when AIM sold the SA surplus 5.56 the wife put half the delivery in the kitchen and I didnt see it when I picked up the first box.   I called AIM thinking I only got half my order.   They offered to ship out the missing ammo immediately and they'd work out what happened to the other half.    

I of course called right back when I found the missing ammo but it shows they were willing to go the extra mile.    Aim gets an A+ in my book.

My shooter grade Yugo SKS looks damned good too
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome- thanks for the support of not only the site, but it's members as well!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I have no experience with your company but now that I hear that I will be buying from you soon! We need more people like you.

Stang
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#8]
AIM is one of the best companies I've ever dealt with, period.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have no experience with your company but now that I hear that I will be buying from you soon! We need more people like you.

Stang

Aim is a wonderful company.  Great products, great prices and, as you can see here in this thread, awesome customer service.  Buy with confidence.

+1

Many times I don't even shop around to save a buck or two; AIM, afaic, is pretty much the greatest online gun/ammo store.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Ordered mine on Saturday and recieved it on Thursday

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, do we get like a special secret entrance for our local pick ups now?

How about super secret discounts to Gold members... Free shipping? [
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#13]
uh oh.  once you come out and announce you're here.....  get ready for more orders!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Oooh boy. You just signed on to appease some of the most hard to please, infantile, ridiculous customers in the nation (ARFCOMERS).
Welcome.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Oooh boy. You just signed on to appease some of the most hard to please, infantile, ridiculous customers in the nation (ARFCOMERS).
Welcome.

+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad to hear your a sponsor now.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Very cool!  

I must say nothing in the 1100 rounds I have inspected thus far would lead me to be upset at all.  I have some I'll store and some I'll shoot right away.  I think it was an excellent deal and MOST people understand the nature of sealed surplus ammo (I don't expect X-Ray vision).

Welcome and thanks!  Although you may not have known what you were signing up for
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Very cool at the Very least!!..  First time customer and my order should hit my house today..  I hope mine is good but at this point, with CS like this I'll definately use these guys again..

John P..
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Always had great service from AIM all the time.  Got some steel case 8mm by mistake (I don't read Yugo either) and they made it right, chop chop.  My Guat was all good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#21]
As for AIM Surplus, well, I can only say that after buying a couple of K-31s, an M-39, and a fair amount of ammo in various calibers from them over the past three years they are top notch.  They have excellent, excellent folks on the phones...

TT
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#22]
And that is the reason right there that I have spent multiple thousands of dollars at AIM. I was one of those who called to inquire about SOME of it, and also told the wonderful [she really is a sweetie] phone order girl that I had seen some pics that worried me as it was way past the point I would have trusted it. She told me this morning that they would make sure it was going to be checked [Battle packs are hard to look thru].

AIM is GREAT to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Sure looks like I drew the short straw.  http://users.htcomp.net/tbelding/img/ammo1.jpg

http://users.htcomp.net/tbelding/img/ammo2.jpg

I'll give AIM a call about it pretty soon.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Tony, what is the date on your stuff and what color battlepack?  I'm pretty sure the problem is humidity.  If the stuff was in a cool area, then moved to a hot area, those cases are going to sweat and leech out acid from the cardboard or hell, just corrode.  Tony, were your BPs cracked and open or were they sealed airtight?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#25]
My ammo looks just like Tony's.  Mine was 90 lot 9.  I couldn't call AIM today, but will be on Monday morning.  It makes me happy to hear they will make good on it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#26]
One thing I have noticed it that all my corroded ammo were from untreated cardboard boxes. My lot 7 97 dated cardboard boxes seemed to have a "wax" coating on them and the ammo was supurb. I found NO corroded ammo in that crate at all.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sure looks like I drew the short straw.  href=users.htcomp.net/tbelding/img/ammo1.jpg

users.htcomp.net/tbelding/img/ammo2.jpg

I'll give AIM a call about it pretty soon.

I'm right there with you.  I guess I will be calling AIM soon as well.  Mine were 1990 Lot 2.  I emptied all my battlepacks because from looking at the outside of the battlepack they looked like they would be in good condition.  Unfortunately, I found one battlepack filled with gunpowder.  Hopefully, I can work something out with AIM.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine is 1993 lot 1, in green battlepacks.

The wooden crate looked pretty good, the battlepacks looked good and were still sealed, the cardboard boxes inside looked clean and perfectly OK on the outside. . .  Just the cartridges themselves looked like something dredged up from the bottom of a river.

There appears to be a white powdery corrosion residue inside the cardboard box, where the cardboard was in contact with the brass.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Tagged..

Mine that I have looked at, does' not come close to the stuff that Tony has picd..

Mine were 97 lot 7

I feel that all the one's I have looked at so far (not many) will shoot fine-just have to store as other ammo-cannot depend on the BPs..

Once the "shooting starts" and we get feedback-I most likely buy another case..

Brenden
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#30]
This is gunpowder that was at the bottom of my .50 cal box.  This is NOT including the gunpowder I found laying in the battlepack when I opened it.  This is after I had removed the rounds from the battlepack cleaned them of gunpowder and placed them loosely inside of an ammo box.  So one of them is leaking gunpowder...http://x10.putfile.com/3/6121305676.jpg

This is how many rounds I pulled from only two of four battlepacks that I wouldn't want to shoot.
http://x10.putfile.com/3/6121315086.jpg

And here are some close ups...
http://x10.putfile.com/3/6121330612.jpg
http://x10.putfile.com/3/6121340897.jpg
http://x10.putfile.com/3/6121354825.jpg

I'm not trying to bad mouth AIM by any means and I understand that this is a risk in purchasing military surplus.  I just hope AIM can work with me somewhat on this because I'm really afraid to fire some of these.  I also have a cartridge in this bunch that is seriously lacking gunpowder.  Probably so much that it wouldn't even push the bullet out the end of the barrel.   I hope I didn't just waste alot of money on ammuntion to end up with a bunch of corroded paperweights.  Any suggestions?  I will call AIM on Monday and try to work something out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I wouldn't shoot ANYTHING in that entire case. If AIM does not refund/send you another case I would be most surprised.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#32]

That is some ugly ammo.

Mine looks good so far.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#33]
When I hear the word "Guatemala" I think of hot rainy weather.  
I suspect there is a connection with the weather and this corrosion that is being observed.
It also could have been near a fire but high heat would be seen in melted battlepacks.

Good luck, I will wait to buy any at the advertised price.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I posted in the other thread--mine looks like that as far as tarnished but not corroded like his is--has the red and black discoloration but no bumpy--rough surfaces.  Mine is smooth but not pretty.I don't know if it is OK or good to store/ shoot.  I think I should remove it from the boxes and put in plastic.  Any advice from the experienced?

I would post my pics but don;t know how.

Thanks for your time...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#35]
And i was getting all excited about this ammo.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Waste of time just to bang your head into a wall.  I'll just keep getting my local American Eagle 55gr for $140/1000.  Makes more sense to me.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Tagged
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:53:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Awww, crap.

I ordered 1440 rounds, and won't be able to do any inspections of it for a looong time.  Hopefully my stuff won't be the stuff I see here.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:01:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Awww, crap.

I ordered 1440 rounds, and won't be able to do any inspections of it for a looong time.  Hopefully my stuff won't be the stuff I see here.

That's exactly what's keeping me from ordering a case.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Erik,  I placed a second order last night.  I examined several boxes from a couple nonsealed battlepacks from two different cases and came up with 90% bright and shiny (better than any lots of xm193 I have seen) and 10% with small blemishes that don't bother me at all.

In this picture are the contents of two typical boxes with the blemished rounds off to the side with the bad spots showing.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/westfork/Guatemalan223.jpg  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Here is some Guatemalan next to some XM193 - both straight out of the box.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/westfork/GuatemalanvsXM193.jpg
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey Eric, just figured I might as well post as well . After reading about tarnish,etc,I opened 1 pack
to inspect. Mixed lot #,s of 5 and 6.  Each box has mixed rds most are only slightly tarnished but
several in each box are corroded. Corrosion ranges from slight to moderate.
I,ll go ahead and ck each rd if you,ll (Aim) would like . Not all rds are unusable, most are acceptable.
Just let me know??
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I went through a couple of my battlepacks, I have a few that have light corrosion but I wiped down all the rounds with FP10 prior to putting them all on stripper clips. I have sorted them out as range rounds and SHTF rounds. I will hopefuly be at the range tomorrow to test them out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I just talked to the Box Of Truth master and I'm sending him some of my Gautemalen ammo, some M193 and some XM193 to do a comparison of the round and the terminal ballistics of it in his usual fashion.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I wiped down all the rounds with FP10 prior to putting them all on stripper clips.

I have been putting the best of this on stripper clips for long term storage also.  Is FP10 safe to use on the ammo without weakening the brass or hurting the primers?  I would think anything marketed as a bore cleaner might have some type of copper solvent included, but don't know anything about FP10.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I just talked to the Box Of Truth master and I'm sending him some of my Gautemalen ammo, some M193 and some XM193 to do a comparison of the round and the terminal ballistics of it in his usual fashion.

Outstanding!  I'll have about 1000 rounds tucked away of this stuff.  The rest I'll just shoot.  If it shoots well tomorrow I'll buy more assuming I can avoid some of the horrible lots I have seen.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that somehow, of the seven cases I ordered, all will come from the good lots but I'm sure sigma distribution will result in me getting some corroded ammo.

Has anyone put together a summary of what constitutes a good lot(e) and a bad one?

I had bought it for long term storage and shooting because it came in battlepacks. Now, apparently, I must either take a chance or open the battlepacks and inspect then transfer to ammo cans for the long term storage. Got to buy more ammo cans. At least I can put them on strippers and bando's during that exercise. Man..... 10K+ rounds to sort will take some time. have. I like the AIM RG ammo I bought last year.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I had bought it for long term storage and shooting because it came in battlepacks.

It is appearing that leaving this ammo in the sealed battlepacks will do one of two things, or both:
1. Your SHTF stash may actually be USELESS when you finally do NEED IT...
2. Your ammo will continue to oxidize and corrode even worse than it is now...

PVC battlepacks are nothing special... It's not like Mountain House foods where the food is nitrogen packed and dessicants added for remaining oxygen obsorption... USGI ammo cans will do just as good keeping your ammo fresh as a daisy, and maybe even better than the battlepacks as you get the ammo out of the cardboard that appears to be the main corrosion culprit. Add in a military dessicant bag to the ammo, seal it up in a good can and future archeologists (apes maybe) will uncover your stash after bird flu armeggedon and marvel at how well preserved it is...

I have one BP coming as a test and it is coming out of the pack pronto...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#50]
no thanks i'll pass on that ammo
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top