Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2006 5:27:05 AM EDT
Ive heard a lot of ppl flame wolf ammo on here, but its so damn CHEAP. Have you guys had any experience with this new polymer coated stuff? Also I heard a lot of  bad things about them because they use "laquer" or something to that sort, could this new stuff possibly not have that? I can get 2000 rounds of this for what i pay for 1000 rounds on winchest... any info would help.

** Wolf Performance, Russia
55 grain copper FMJ
New polymer coated cases, non-corrosive**

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The coating has had a history of acting as a hot-glue for a casing in a hot chamber.  Many here use it with satisfaction, though I'm not convinced enough to use it.

Ed
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:26:00 AM EDT
[#2]
18K fired through my BM.
no issues to report (except normal wear/tear)
shoot it up
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:32:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Really, what you and everyone who wants to use Wolf ammo should do is;  Buy at least 300-500 rounds and try it.  Start with a clean barrel/chamber.   Shoot groups, do mag dumps, whatever trips your trigger.  Then make up your own mind about Wolf ammo.  If you see that it meets your needs then by all means, shoot it, and don't worry about what others say about it.

I have shot a lot of it through SKS and AK-47 type rifles without a hitch.  The only thing I don't like about it is the way the case coating, both new grey polymer and older green lacquer, builds up in the chambers.  Carb & Choke cleaner cuts it right out though.

I've never shot any .223 wolf, but I don't see where it would be much different.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:44:50 AM EDT
[#4]
It is cheap  good plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The coating has had a history of acting as a hot-glue for a casing in a hot chamber.  Many here use it with satisfaction, though I'm not convinced enough to use it.

Ed

Not even convinced enough to try it?  If it works in your gun you'll be recognizing a 50% savings right off the bat.  That would be enough to at least make me buy a box or two just to try.

For the record, I use it most of the time and with no problems
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Wolf will blow up your gun and kill your children.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Good thing I have no children
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ive heard a lot of ppl flame wolf ammo on here, but its so damn CHEAP. Have you guys had any experience with this new polymer coated stuff?
55 grain copper FMJ

Hmm, Wolf Polymer been around almost 3yr now .....  Do a search.

I don't have a dog,  but I do have children...

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ed

Then why did you post, if you dont have experience?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#10]
polymer wolf works just fine in my Bushy.  I've pumped 4k rounds of it through my gun in the past 6 months, the only problem is 4-5 rounds with dud primers, but no big deal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I use wolf as my ammo of choice now that xm193 is so scarce and pricy...... It functions fine, just as good as the more exspensive xm193 did. However don't expect sub MOA groups with it, but its PLENTY acurate enough for plinking. I can wear out bowling pins and clays at 50 and 100yrds with it.

Josh
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I've put a ton of wolf polymer coat 62 gr hp through my LMT without a hitch.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've put a ton of wolf polymer coat 62 gr hp through my LMT without a hitch.

Mike

And I've put a ton of the same thru my middie without a hitch, too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Thousands of rounds through Bushy's RRA, Colts,  DPMS and a few HK Machine Guns w/o any problems.  I can recall maybe 1 misfire.  

Granted it's a little under powered, but it's 1/2 the price!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ive heard a lot of ppl flame wolf ammo on here, but its so damn CHEAP. Have you guys had any experience with this new polymer coated stuff?
55 grain copper FMJ

img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/Wolf193-855A.jpg

Holy smokes, are those reloads?  How were you able to reload the steel casings?  I thought they were one use only?  How many reloads do you usually get out of them?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#16]
First batch of wolf short stroked a lot.  After that just keep the bolt lubed and zero probs.  Accuracy is acceptable for plinking and training.  Not any dirtier than most others out there.  Buy it and save money shooting.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
55 grain copper FMJ

img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/Wolf193-855A.jpg

Holy smokes, are those reloads?  How were you able to reload the steel casings?  I thought they were one use only?  How many reloads do you usually get out of them?

Those look more like somebody actually painted the bullets to make them look like SS109s? On the other hand, I know a guy who reloads Wolf .45 ACP cases. He tells me they load fine and all, so long as he doesn't try to trim them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#18]
My bushie likes Wolf.  I only buy the polymer ones so I don't have to worry about the laquer buildup problem.  Great stuff for plinking.  I ran through my first case in January and did have 4 rounds with bad primers.  Very nice ding in the primer but no bang.  When I rechambered them they did go bang.  Not reliable enough for home defense or SHTF.  I have another case on order.    
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmm sounds like i need to go out and get me some wolf then...Long as it want blow up my new baby i dont care haha... thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Just what we needed another wolf thread.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
55 grain copper FMJ

Those look more like somebody actually painted the bullets to make them look like SS109s?

Naaaa,, that be too easy.... SS-109 is not painted, M-855 is,  have you ever seen WOLF with cannelures?    

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Naaaa,, that be too easy.... SS-109 is not painted, M-855 is,  have you ever seen WOLF with cannelures?    

img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/WolfM-855.jpg

Actually yes, both Olympic and S&B offer rounds loaded with SS109 bullets, and they have a beautiful green paint job, nicer than on M855. It's a darker shade of green, but they are painted. And I didn't notice the darn cannelures, my monitor is getting crappy. So you actually load those cases, I'll be darned.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top