Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 11:54:09 AM EDT
Due to a recent increase in alien abductions in the area, I am curious to know if a 77 grain bullet will properly stabilize in a 1:9" twist barrel.  I have searched the Ammo Oracle and couldn't find anything.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
You will only know try some out some do some dont
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes, sometimes not. The only way to know for sure is to try. When the weather is cold, and at a distance, preferably.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I just go some 77/75BH!

Im not real impress with the accuracy  useing 77BH blubox I only shot a 20rd group at 50yards

Used 551/LMT 14.5 although It was the end of the day  and I was tierd an wet! wich might of loosen things up a bit!

I havent tried the 75 wich is the better BH round

PLUS has a cann/crimp  so it wont go back
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just go some 77/75BH!

Im not real impress with the accuracy  useing 77BH blubox I only shot a 20rd group at 50yards

Used 551/LMT 14.5 although It was the end of the day  and I was tierd an wet! wich might of loosen things up a bit!

engrish preez?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#5]
WHAT DID I MISSPELL A WORD OR 5???

Im a old country boy just high school education ! Im not a Arm Chair Egg Head!

I tried to help ya out!

So stick it up yours buddy!

JERK Anyone knows all barrels are different some can do it some cant!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Better yet tell me what you Dont know because it reads fine with me?
Anyone else cant read?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Better yet tell me what you Dont know because it reads fine with me?
Anyone else cant read?

I've given up trying.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks MarkM I knew I could count on a fellow like yourself
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just go some 77/75BH!

Is BH an abbreviation for Boat Tail Hollowpoint, because I'm used to seeing BTHP

I wasn't asking about accuracy, I was asking about stabilization.  But wince we're there, what size group did you shoot with that?  What velocity was it going?

What is the twist rate on your gun?   While I understand that shooting under those conditions may have some effect on your accuracy, I have no quantifiable info on your accuracy.

Once again, what do you mean by BH?  Why is it better?  Who says it's better?  Will it stabilize in a 1:9" twist 20" gun?

huh?

To everyone else, thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#10]
1:9 - most likely not.  Especially if under 20".  But you will have to try it.  Make sure you try different ranges too.... becaomse sometimes it will be stabil out to 50, then start to lose it.

With 75gr Hornady's, you stand a better chance.

If not, move to the 68/69 loadings.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
1:9 - most likely not.  Especially if under 20".  But you will have to try it.  Make sure you try different ranges too.... becaomse sometimes it will be stabil out to 50, then start to lose it.

With 75gr Hornady's, you stand a better chance.

If not, move to the 68/69 loadings.

Thanks, that's not what I wanted to hear, but exactly what I expected.  And even though you had a few misspellings, IT STILL MADE SENSE!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Ranger SXT

sorry about rant!

Black Hills/BH
I was told by someone in the KNOW that 75 Black Hills are better than 77 Black Hills ! the 75 also has a  Cann/crimp so the bullet wont set back! Unlike the 77.

I Learn from FOREST who I Bother all the time!!
He knows alot of AR15 stuff!!

I was just telling you that I didnt think the 77 Black Hills was all that great in accuracy!But I only shot 20rds of it in a 1/7 twist LMT 14.5

Bushmaster states that 1/9 will handle 75gr.

I  like the 69BTHP Federal in my A1 Shorty 1/9 15 HBAR  yes it was cut down
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was told by someone in the KNOW that 75 Black Hills are better than 77 Black Hills ! the 75 also has a  Cann/crimp so the bullet wont set back! Unlike the 77.

What is a Cann/crimp?

I was just telling you that I didnt think the 77 Black Hills was all that great in accuracy!But I only shot 20rds of it in a 1/7 twist LMT 14.5

I was asking about a 1:9 twist, but I'll keep in mind that you don't like those out of your 1:7.

I  like the 69BTHP Federal in my A1 Shorty 1/9 15 HBAR  yes it was cut down

Great, have you shot 77grain bullets from it?  How did they perform?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
A cannelure in the bullet (knurling at the case mouth) then the very leading edge of the case is pushed into the cannelure, in a procedure called crimping, so that the bullet will not be forced into or out of the case. Common with military ammunition.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#15]
My 1 in 7 shoots the 77's better.  I also am biased towards the 77 SMK over the Hornaday 75 gr.  Better long range performance IMHO.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
A cannelure in the bullet (knurling at the case mouth) then the very leading edge of the case is pushed into the cannelure, in a procedure called crimping, so that the bullet will not be forced into or out of the case. Common with military ammunition.

Oh, a cannelure.  Now I feel dumb.  Thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My 1 in 7 shoots the 77's better.  I also am biased towards the 77 SMK over the Hornaday 75 gr.  Better long range performance IMHO.  

Better than a 1 in 9, as that's the overall question I'm asking?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got done taking the chance that 77gr Sierras BTHP would work in my 1in9 twist  Olympic 16" m4 profile barrel and I reloaded up a few rounds with Varget, Winchester and Lake City Brass and CCI primers with a OAL of 2.25 (magazine length). I first called Sierra and they told me they 77gr BTHP bullets would work in 99% of 1in9 twist barrels. I started at 22.5gr and worked all the way to 26.0grs which is pretty hot. I ended up finishing with a load of 77gr Sierras in front of 24.9grs of Varget. With this load, all my bullets were touching and it was about 1/2 moa at 100yds. I do not know the velocity of the round yet with my 16" barrel but I will hopefully find out next weekend. All I know is that I found a great round that is very accurate. But I still have to find out how it does at 200-350yds yet, but if it stays this tight at 100 I think I will be ok out that far.
So more than likely your 1in9 twist will shoot the 77grs even though everyone else says it won't.
Hope this helps you out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just got done taking the chance that 77gr Sierras BTHP would work in my 1in9 twist  Olympic 16" m4 profile barrel and I reloaded up a few rounds with Varget, Winchester and Lake City Brass and CCI primers with a OAL of 2.25 (magazine length). I first called Sierra and they told me they 77gr BTHP bullets would work in 99% of 1in9 twist barrels. I started at 22.5gr and worked all the way to 26.0grs which is pretty hot. I ended up finishing with a load of 77gr Sierras in front of 24.9grs of Varget. With this load, all my bullets were touching and it was about 1/2 moa at 100yds. I do not know the velocity of the round yet with my 16" barrel but I will hopefully find out next weekend. All I know is that I found a great round that is very accurate. But I still have to find out how it does at 200-350yds yet, but if it stays this tight at 100 I think I will be ok out that far.
So more than likely your 1in9 twist will shoot the 77grs even though everyone else says it won't.
Hope this helps you out.

Yes it does, thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Im saying your 1/9 should work fine with 75 Black hills! I have 1/9 and 1/7

Cann/crimp

the Bullet itself has a notch like grove cut into the jacket so when the bullet is seated it wont get set back by automatics/semi

Im also saying that the 77 gr out of my 1/7 aint the greatest so you aint missing much by having a 1/9 twist!  my 1/9 twist shorty loves the 69bthp  try it if your barrel cant work with 75grs.  

alot of guys think B.Hills 75gr is better than the 77gr in 223rem  

BTW sorry I couldnt get threw
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just go some 77/75BH!

Is BH an abbreviation for Boat Tail Hollowpoint, because I'm used to seeing BTHP

No BH is short for Black Hills.  Black Hills makes the most economical loadings of 75gr Hornady OTM and 77gr SMK.

Once again, what do you mean by BH?  Why is it better?  Who says it's better?  Will it stabilize in a 1:9" twist 20" gun?

It should stabilize just fine in a 20" rifle with a 1:9 twist, and it works well enough 50% of the time from carbine length barrels.

The 75gr is a better round in terms of terminal ballistics and reliablity (thanks to the cannalured neck).  The 77gr SMK is usually the more accurate of the two rounds, though some rifles do prefer the 75gr.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Due to a recent increase in alien abductions in the area, I am curious to know if a 77 grain bullet will properly stabilize in a 1:9" twist barrel.  I have searched the Ammo Oracle and couldn't find anything.

Your "SEARCH" fu is weak......

Q. What twist rate do I want for my rifle?

Probably 1:9, but it depends on what kind of bullets you intend to shoot.

Special purpose rifles often have uncommon twist rates.  For example, if you are building a varmint rifle and want to shoot the short 35 grain, 40 grain, and 50 grain bullets, a 1:12, or even 1:14 twist would be best.  On the other hand, long range High Power shooters often select 1:8, 1:7.7, 1:7, or 1:6.5-twist barrels to stabilize the long 77, 80 and even 90 grain bullets used for 1,000 yard competition.  Additionally, new testing of heavier rounds (68-77 grains) seems to show that they perform very well in simulated tissue and may be a better defensive choice than 55 grain or 62 grain rounds. The majority of shooters, though, typically shoot bullets of 50 to 69 grains in weight (note that the 62gr SS-109/M855 bullet is as long as a 71 grain lead core bullet) and should select 1:9 twist barrels.  At typical .223 velocities, a 1:9 twist will stabilize bullet lengths equivalent to lead-core bullets of 40 to 73 grains in weight.

1:12 twist rifles cannot stabilize SS-109/M855 bullets and 1:7 twist rifles are slightly less accurate with lighter bullets and will often blow apart the thin jackets of lightweight varmint bullets.  The 1:7 twist is used by the military to stabilize the super-long L-110/M856 tracer bullet out to 800 yards, but unless your plans include shooting a significant amount of M856, the 1:9 twist rate is better suited for general use.

There is, of course, an exception: if you want to use loads utilizing the heavier, 75-77 grain match bullets currently used by Spec-Ops troops and other selected shooters, you'll want a 1:7 twist barrel.  Although military loadings using these bullets are expensive and hard to get, some persistent folks have managed to obtain a supply, and will need the proper barrel twist to use them.  Anyone who foresees a need to shoot this ammo should consider a 1:7 twist barrel.

Mike
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top