Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2006 4:43:29 PM EDT
I need some advice about 308 ammo. The more I read, the more confused I get. One website says 168gr match is the hands down favorite, another says it's no good, and breaks up on impact, and can't defeat barriers. I have been keeping my DPMS mags stuffed with Federal 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, but at $1.10 a round, it's killing me. What I want is a do all, accurate, SHTF round, that will put down an angry hoard of meth fueled zombies. Am I on the right track with the Federal NBT? or is there something better? For what it's worth, the 150gr Fed NBT works absolutely amazing on whitetail deer, brutal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read that 155 AMAX is your best bet, found in the Hornady TAP line I believe...  make sure it's 155 and not 110...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]
the 150gr nosler ballistic tip will create total and utter devistation to a living object, they kill deer w/ out hesitation, why cant they kill a two legged kritter roughly the same size?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've read that 155 AMAX is your best bet, found in the Hornady TAP line I believe...  make sure it's 155 and not 110...

I have seen the same info and it is posted in the tacked "self defense load" thread.  I copied the following from that thread:

-Hornady 155 gr TAP (with AMAX bullet)
-Federal 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
-Winchester Supreme 150 gr Ballistic Silvertip
-Loads using the 165 gr Sierra Game King

I have purchased a bunch of the 155g TAP and my AR10s like it a lot.  You experience with the Fed 150g NBT on deer makes the above list!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I assume you do not reload - if not consider taking it up if you want to shoot alot and use high quality bullets for about $.50 per pop - otherwise buy the TAP.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The 110 grain TAP worked fine for me.  What's the problem with it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#6]

The 155 AMAX and 150 Nosler ballistic tips terminal ballistics perform about the same.  Both are suppose to retain about 50% of their weight.  Biggest difference in the factory ammo is the low flash powder used with the Hornady TAP line...not sure about velocity differences.  As for accuracy, I've messed around with the Federal 150 NBT, WIN 150 BST and Hornady 155 AMAX and all are very close.  I chose the Hornady because it was a bit more consistent out of my AR10.

The 168 BTHP round works fine if it hits something hard or is a well placed shot.  If it doesn't it is more likely to act like a FMJ round.  FWIW - it is more accurate than the 155 AMAX out of my rifle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The 110 grain TAP worked fine for me.  What's the problem with it?

Lack of penetration.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Lack of penetration.  

Hmmm.  OK, thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lack of penetration.  

Hmmm.  OK, thanks for the reply.

Basically, if that round hits anything prior to the body (hand, arm, weapon, etc) it will begin to fragment and most likely will not reach anything critical...not that it won't sting a little...it just doesn't meet the 12" penetration minimum.

Sorry - thought I could find the link to the pics of gellatin...no luck.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#10]
OK, so it's a barrier penetration problem.  That makes sense.  I thought you were talking about a soft tissue penetration problem.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I know the 110 works very well against soft tissue.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#11]
You do know there is no magic bullet that works the best under all circumstances right?

The 155 gr A-max would do you nicely.

BTW, how is the $1/rd ammo hurting you?  I normally don't fire my defensive ammo much and practice with ball ammo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#12]
If 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip works well, then how does the 165 gr. NBT work?  Is there any reason it should not work equally well?  I know it'll be a little slower, but it would probably hit harder further out than the 150's.  MJD
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top