Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2006 3:28:31 PM EDT
I was re-zeroing today with Black Hills 68gr OTM (blue box).  Most of what I used was a few years old and came in the boxes that still used the styrofoam trays.  I also shot 28 rounds of newer that came with a black plastic tray in the box (as I assume it still does).

I zeroed with the older stuff at 50 yards with irons first and then with my Leupold Vari-X II 1-4X20mm, shooting from prone with the magazine as a monopod.

Then I shot a magazine full of the newer ammo to confirm my zero, but point of impact for the group was about 3/4 inch higher and about 1/2 to 3/4 inch to the right.

Did Black Hills change the recipe a bit between when I bought the old stuff and when I snagged the newer ammo?  Or, is that just a normal amount of variation between any two manufacturing lots?  

I don't recall seeing that much difference in the past from box to box from different lots, but my memory is fuzzy (getting old), and I doubt if my marksmanship skills were as good then as now (with a rifle, anyway).

Thanks for any insight!

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the load was changed at least a year ago.  Some users reported accuaracy issues, and the President of the company responded in this forum.  I haven't bought a case of the new stuff yet, but I plan to soon.  Companies like Black Hills, Larue Tactical, Sigarms, Trijicon, ect. may cost a little more than their competition, but their superior quality and customer service earns my dollar every time.

BTW, what kind of groups did you shoot with the new 68 grainers?  I have found BHBB 52 gr. to be super accurate in my Colt MT6721, but a little light for HD.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry that I can't be of help, but TAG cause I have both myself and want to know too.

-K
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I believe the load was changed at least a year ago.  Some users reported accuaracy issues, and the President of the company responded in this forum.  I haven't bought a case of the new stuff yet, but I plan to soon.  Companies like Black Hills, Larue Tactical, Sigarms, Trijicon, ect. may cost a little more than their competition, but their superior quality and customer service earns my dollar every time.

BTW, what kind of groups did you shoot with the new 68 grainers?  I have found BHBB 52 gr. to be super accurate in my Colt MT6721, but a little light for HD.  

Yes they changed it about 2 years back.  I have an upper that really likes it and one that shoots it decent now.  Before he changed it, the latter upper I mentioned shot it the worst out of any load.  I'm not sure what the deal was, but in my opinion, it's better now.  Now, the 52's have been very very accurate  in both of my uppers!!!!  But it's not a good choice for self defense, so I don't shoot them that much.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Will the BH 68gr shoot OK from my RRA 16 in bbl with 1:9 twist?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I can get sub MOA with mine at 100yds if I am having a good day.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You have to try it out.  Every barrel likes different loads.  Yours may like it, or it may hate it.  Either way, you gotta try it.  Sorry, no easy answer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have to try it out.  Every barrel likes different loads.  Yours may like it, or it may hate it.  Either way, you gotta try it.  Sorry, no easy answer.

True.  My 1:8 likes WWB R1 .223 and 75 grain OTM, but doesn't like Q3131 as much.  Funny.

TS
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, I didn't measure any because I go by "good enough/not good enough" and "better/worse"  for the most part.

To answer your question as well as I can, I shot several three shot groups with the older stuff with all three holes touching.  I had a few five shot groups that were almost all touching.  When I shot the newer stuff, I was more interested in confirming my zero than the group size.  The approximate centers of the groups I shot were just a little high and right of my zero.  From my vague memory, I'm pretty sure the groups with the newere stiff were a little bigger.  I should note that the "newer" stuff I have is more than two years old.

All of the shooting was done with a mostly stock Colt's HBAR II (16 inch) at 50 yards, shooting from prone while using the magazine as a monopod.  The sight was a Leupold Vari-X II 1-4X20mm.

Thanks to all for the feedback!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I've gotten that much POA\POI shift out of the same lot of ammo from a good barrel cleaning. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quoted:
I zeroed with the older stuff at 50 yards with irons first and then with my Leupold Vari-X II 1-4X20mm, shooting from prone with the magazine as a monopod.

Then I shot a magazine full of the newer ammo to confirm my zero, but point of impact for the group was about 3/4 inch higher and about 1/2 to 3/4 inch to the right.

Did Black Hills change the recipe a bit between when I bought the old stuff and when I snagged the newer ammo?  Or, is that just a normal amount of variation between any two manufacturing lots?  

Thanks for any insight!

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Even if the load wasnt changed - that much POI shift would not be uncommon from a lot-to-lot change in powder, or bullet, or primer, or any combination.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top