Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2006 5:10:27 AM EDT

I need to get  some USGI 50 cal sized ammo cans, I just checked the local surplus stores and they're out and Ebay has few but the shipping for them is ridiculous!

Do you guys know of any online sources for fairly priced 50 cal ammo cans that won't rape you on shipping?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#1]
ammunitionstore.com is in Ohio and has cans
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:33:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I get all mine at work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ammunitionstore.com is in Ohio and has cans

Thanks, I'll give them a try!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to buy my ammo cans online but after I got a few batches that were not up to par I decided to call my local Army Navy stores for prices.  Prices ranged from $7 for rust buckets to $16.  After a few phone calls I found a local Army Navy that would sell me 20 cans for $160 tax included.  The best part was I could pick them out myself.  Went through 300 of them and took the best 20.  I have to say they were all pretty decent.  $8 apiece and I had them the same day & got to see them before I bought them.  
The price for one was $9.  We really don't have any gun shows in a 200 mile radius of me so that was the best I could do.  I am quite satisified.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for ammunition store
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Midway had them on sale aweek ago
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, I just went online and noticed the price of cans & shipping have skyrockted.  I just wanted to add that there are no NEW cans out there as advertized.  I bought a few new cans a couple of years ago and they were just old cans spray painted green.  Don't fall for that one.  Good luck
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to a local gunshow and you should find some there.  Or buy ammo which comes in an ammo can... ie Georgia Arms...etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Gun show or surplus store
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Inspect, inspect, inspect!  Make sure you know what you're getting when you buy (or have a money back guarantee) or you could wind up with formerly green rust instead of a useful can.

I have seen how DRMO handles freshly turned in cans; they frequently do not care how they treat a potentially valuable comodity because their rules call used cans "scrap."  They get banded onto pallets so tightly that the top cans are destroyed, they get left out in the weather without covers, and so on.  

It's always best to inspect any surplus can you buy in person because you do not have any idea what sort of stuff an online dealer has bought.  Online, buy from names you trust that have great (not just good) return policies.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Good guy at the local funshows sells virtually brand new cans for $6 each, including tax. I have bought more than 30 from him. I usually get 4 at a time, because they are hard to carry if you get more than that.

When he first started selling them, he was painting over the yellow writing on the sides. I told him I wanted the kind with the yellow writing, so we went out to his truck, and he hooked me up. Now, that is all he sells. I guess other people want authentic looking cans as well. Most of mine originally contained M193 or M855 ammo.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I buy mine at local gun shows. I'm too scared to order them out of fear that I would end up getting dented and rusty cans.

Count me in with the ones who like the yellow letters on the sides.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#13]
try surpluscityca.com
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just wanted to add that there are no NEW cans out there as advertized.

that is incorrect.  I worked for two years at a gun/surplus/LE store and we sold tons of brand new cans.  We got them from a guy that came around with a trailer full of them.  He called us several days in advance and asked us what we wanted, and when he showed up he unloaded them right into the store for us.

He somehow had a connection at the ammocan factory and got them from the same place as the military.  I wish I could find that guy now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is incorrect.  I worked for two years at a gun/surplus/LE store and we sold tons of brand new cans.  We got them from a guy that came around with a trailer full of them.  He called us several days in advance and asked us what we wanted, and when he showed up he unloaded them right into the store for us.

He somehow had a connection at the ammocan factory and got them from the same place as the military.  I wish I could find that guy now.

Like I said "there are no new cans out there" unless you know a guy that knows a guy.  Probably find him in jail for stealing them.  When you find NEW cans out there please let me know where.  Till then I stand by "there are no new cans out there"
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said "there are no new cans out there" unless you know a guy that knows a guy.  Probably find him in jail for stealing them.  When you find NEW cans out there please let me know where.  Till then I stand by "there are no new cans out there"

I'm not going to get into a semantic debate with you.  There ARE new cans out there, you just have to know where to look.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not going to get into a semantic debate with you.  There ARE new cans out there, you just have to know where to look.

I was just trying to help the original poster because I can only find one person on the internet that is advertizing new cans and the cans he's selling are repainted old cans.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought 10 on eBay for $79 including shipping. The cans were once used and immaculate. IM me if you want the eBay seller's name. He told me that he has hundreds available. He's in VA and probably gets them from DRMO Norfolk.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Gunshows and local shops.  Actually haven't seen any locally for a while, or at any gunshows for that matter.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:25:51 AM EDT
[#20]
tag
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:37:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I got about 30 of them from my ship instead of letting them throw them in the drink. Check with your local aircraft carrier
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I bought 10 on eBay for $79 including shipping. The cans were once used and immaculate. IM me if you want the eBay seller's name. He told me that he has hundreds available. He's in VA and probably gets them from DRMO Norfolk.

I've gotten a bunch of IMs from guys looking for cans so I asked the seller if he minded if I posted his eBay seller's name. I just ordered another 20 cans, 10-50cal and 10-30 cal and he's charging me $146 including shipping to CT. That works out to $7.30 a can which makes me pretty happy. I'm no fan of eBay and their policies but you can't beat the deals if you're careful. Again the cans I received were like new with minimal if any scratches and NO rust. I have no financial interest in this seller and as always, YRMV.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I need to get  some USGI 50 cal sized ammo cans, I just checked the local surplus stores and they're out and Ebay has few but the shipping for them is ridiculous!

Do you guys know of any online sources for fairly priced 50 cal ammo cans that won't rape you on shipping?

I have ordered several cans very recently from WWW.armygear.net...the cans were in extremely good condition. The shipping is for you to decide. Check out the 13" fuse cans...very good deal........
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I Live Right Next To Marine Corps Base Camp Lejune. Who Thinks I Can Get Someone Off Base To Hook Me Up. lol Well Hell While Im at It I Might As Well Get Em Full Of M855..... I'll See What Happens, If I Dont Repost In 24 Hours Im In Some Trouble.....hug.gifhug.gif
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:38:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've gotten a bunch of IMs from guys looking for cans so I asked the seller if he minded if I posted his eBay seller's name. I just ordered another 20 cans, 10-50cal and 10-30 cal and he's charging me $146 including shipping to CT. That works out to $7.30 a can which makes me pretty happy. I'm no fan of eBay and their policies but you can't beat the deals if you're careful. Again the cans I received were like new with minimal if any scratches and NO rust. I have no financial interest in this seller and as always, YRMV.  

The seller sent me the OK to post him.

bidmart123   He's got a bunch of stuff but his ammo cans are what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:04:36 AM EDT
[#26]
army surplus
local gunshops
gunshows
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:05:50 AM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bidmart123   He's got a bunch of stuff but his ammo cans are what I was looking for.

I can't believe I bought 10 more cans.  Now I have to fill them up.  This is a disease, I mean  hobby.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Fortunately I live near "Mikes Merchandise" in North Alabama. Huge warehouse full of excess inventory type stuff. They sell nuts and bolts and use ammo cans to bin them in. Must have 500 of them on wooden racks. Also carry .50 cal, .30 cal cans. I sift through them and pick out the best ones, mix/match tops and lowers. Used, but the ones I get are in great shape. A little brake cleaner and they're ready to go. Picked up two last weekend for 3.00 each. I think the clerk screwed up, they're usually 5.00 apiece.

If you can find them locally, it's usually your best bet. They are heavy when ordered in quantity, and the shipping will usually kill you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Holler at Pat McDonald over in Massillon, OH, 330-832-3843, at www.patsreloading.com.

He's got a crap-house full of them, and he's decent on price. They are not 100% pristine, but take a wet rag to them and they are fine.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the tip ktrout01.  I just received a ten can order from him and I will buy more.  The cans I recieved from bidmart are in the best condition I have found and the price is right.  He also really packed them well so they wouldn't get banged up.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#32]
+123 on bidmart123.
I ordered ten 50 cal. ammo cans from him late Thursday, got a Fed Ex tracking number on Friday and received the cans today. They are in great condition...better than I expected. I will definitely be ordering some more cans from him very soon.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Sorry, I get all mine at work.

Hook a brotha up?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Usually gun shows, managed to get 4 VERY nice 50cal. cans for 10 bucks at a show some time back because the guy didn't want to pack them up at the end of the show and take them home.   I'm at like 24 50Cal. cans and I've never paid more than 5 bucks for any of them.

Whenever I order surplus 50BMG bullets the shipper sends them in 50Cal. cans so I get even more that way.

But for some stranger stuff like cans for mortar rounds or grenades, I have to order those online sometimes and those usually come from Sportsmansguide.

One of my favorites is the grenade cans, seal thanks to a ruber gasket and have 2 latches that draw the lids down tight.    Very easy to get 1200-1400 rounds into one of them depending on the boxes, I get less wolf into the cans due to the plastic holder in the box eating up space.

Here's a pic of 2 of them with my wolf.  Shameless ammo whore pic,

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Georgia Arms ships their Canned Heat ammo in good cans
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:58:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Guy was selling them at our gun show last weekend in Excellent condition for 4 for $16 and very slight rust on the bottom 4 for $12.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:19:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

One of my favorites is the grenade cans, seal thanks to a ruber gasket and have 2 latches that draw the lids down tight.    Very easy to get 1200-1400 rounds into one of them depending on the boxes, I get less wolf into the cans due to the plastic holder in the box eating up space.

home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/misc/556.jpg

Where can you order those grenade cans online?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#38]
You guys are getting me jealous about all your gun shows.  We have none around here.  I would have to go hundreds of miles for a small show.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where can you order those grenade cans online?

Check sportsmans guide.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Without a doubt the best "cheapest" place to obtain ammo cans is from DRMO.  What is DRMO?  DRMO is the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service that the government has established to sell off surplus property.  Every military base has a DRMO contact.  Go to Government Liquidators and check, by State, what is available for purchase (by bid) at the base near to you.  They sell everything!  Don't live near a base?  You can have the UPS store go to the base and ship your purchase to you on your behalf.  I have bought ammo cans for under fifty cents each.  Now your not buying 1 or 2 cans.  Typical “lots” will run at a min. around 45 to 50 cans but some lots go up to 800 cans, so make sure you know what your bidding on.  Can are available in all sizes, just search and you will find.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I just bought (10) .50 Cal cans for $2 each. I expected some really lousy cans, but aside from being repainted they looked really good.

J&G Sales
They are on the internet. Shipping wasn't that bad.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I just buy ammo in the can then I have cans. Check here Ammocans I need another closet. There is 13 cans in this pic
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Usually gun shows, managed to get 4 VERY nice 50cal. cans for 10 bucks at a show some time back because the guy didn't want to pack them up at the end of the show and take them home.   I'm at like 24 50Cal. cans and I've never paid more than 5 bucks for any of them.

Whenever I order surplus 50BMG bullets the shipper sends them in 50Cal. cans so I get even more that way.

WOLF, WOLF, Get rid of it QUICK... You'll get a DISEASE....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I understand shooting Wolf makes you sterile.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOLF, WOLF, Get rid of it QUICK... You'll get a DISEASE....

Can't tell if that was sarcasm or not, couldn't give 2 shits if it was or not.

There is 3500 rounds of XM193 and around 1300 rounds of Q3131A, I don't want to shoot any of that because it's too damn expensive to replace.

I will gladly burn up the wolf in it's place.  I actually have more M193 loading available than I do wolf but it is socked away for 3gun, action rifle, or anything else deemed to be serious.

Wolf is good enough for blasting and general practice.

If the zombies really come, I've got more than enough but could always add to the ammo fort if a deal pops up...

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:20:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Re: bidmart123

I also recently bought cans from bidmart123 on ebay.  The 5.56 and 50 and 30 cal cans were in very good shape (although far from pristine), but the 40mm can was significantly rusted.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Re: bidmart123

I also recently bought cans from bidmart123 on ebay.  The 5.56 and 50 and 30 cal cans were in very good shape (although far from pristine), but the 40mm can was significantly rusted.

Did you tell him you got his username from AR15.com and were told he sold pristine cans?  I did and befor he shipped he emailed me a note saying that I should be pleased with the cans.  I was.  I guess it either hit or miss with those products when buying online.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#48]
I did not indicate I was referred through this site.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top