Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2006 11:40:38 AM EDT
I just spent the morning down at the range sighting in my rifle for a javelina hunt next weekend. Of course the matchking blew everything out of the water and I want to use it on my hunt. But what I need to know is:

1. Is it a true hollow point that can legally be used for hunting?

2. Will it perform as well on the vitals of my intended prey as well as a bullet designed for hunting?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just spent the morning down at the range sighting in my rifle for a javelina hunt next weekend. Of course the matchking blew everything out of the water and I want to use it on my hunt. But what I need to know is:

1. Is it a true hollow point that can legally be used for hunting?

2. Will it perform as well on the vitals of my intended prey as well as a bullet designed for hunting?

1 its a hollow point, but not one designed for expansion.
2 no, not designed for hunting at all.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are using Mk262 or similar, the SMK should be adequate for Javelina. Im not sure, but do people eat Javelina, if so, what do they taste like? Don't say chicken.... If you plan on eating your prey, pick another round. This round can fragment excessively, which can ruin/contaminate the meat. Try a good controlled expansion round, like a JSP. If you aren't using 5.56, stick with a controlled expansion HP or SP like the Gameking. Mk262 will be effective against Javelina, but there are better rounds to me used. With the exception of Mk262 or similar, SMK loads should be considered "match only".
ETA some states have a restriction on .223 rounds, stipulating they must have a certain amount of energy at 100 yards to be legal for hunting. I am not aware of any legislation that prohibits the use of the SMK while hunting, but it typically would be an inferior choice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]
They are illegal in WI.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#4]
It is not a hollow point. It is simply an open tip.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
In my experience, I get accuracy almost as good as Matchkings by using Nosler Ballistic Tips.  Granted, that's in .30-06 so either would be more than adequat to take out a javelina.  I'm afraid that NBT's in .224 diameter would basically explode on impact and not reach the vitals.  Some people have reported good accuracy and great penetration by using Winchester 64 gr. powerpoints.  I can't comment on those as I've never used them.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In my experience, I get accuracy almost as good as Matchkings by using Nosler Ballistic Tips.  Granted, that's in .30-06 so either would be more than adequat to take out a javelina.  I'm afraid that NBT's in .224 diameter would basically explode on impact and not reach the vitals.  Some people have reported good accuracy and great penetration by using Winchester 64 gr. powerpoints.  I can't comment on those as I've never used them.  MJD

+1. Ballistic Tips are excellent.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Winchester 64gr PoewerPoints.  Period.  Made for hunting, exceptional accuracy.  I get < 1 MOA from my Varminter at 100 yards all day long with them.

As for javelinas, they are like lightning on them.  I have never had one take more than a few steps after a "good" hit.  I always take head/neck shots.  Shoulder shots they have gone < 10 yards.

Javelinas are very small animals and almost any .223 round will drop them.  But the PowerPoints are actually made for hunting and work extremely well everytime.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

well barnes has a 70 grain triple shock, and nosler had their 60 grain partition. Both work well for hunting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]
As far as I am concerned, SMK is range only....with Mk262 being the exception. 60grn JSP and Nosler Partiton rounds would be an excellent choice for hunting medium/small game. Barnes makes excellent bullets as well which would be excellent for defensive use or hunting. I would love to see someone start selling loaded ammunition with Barnes Triple Shock bullets for defensive use. This is one of the more effective 5.56 rounds out there. For hunting, use the GameKing.

No one has answered my question. Do people eat Javelina and what do they taste like?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No one has answered my question. Do people eat Javelina and what do they taste like?

Yes people eat them.

I don't know what they taste like, though I hope to get a chance to try it some time next week.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
First off, despite what even the experts like Troy say (believe me, no disrespect meant) I don't believe fragmenting bullets will "spoil" meat.  I suppose it depends on the size of your quarry and where you are shooting them but people do kill deer with the OTM, BTHP's whatever you want to call them.  And they work.  With deer, if you put one in the body, it will not throw framents out to the legs and ruin the meat.  it will typically stay inside the body cavity.  Now, it may ruin the inside tenderloins, but even that is not a given.  

Javelina are usually smalller I think, so this may be different for them.

AR15kittykat had exclusively used Q3131A for boar hunting and killed lots of them with cool pictures and it fragmented.  And he still ate them.

These types of bullets may be illegal for hunting purposes, check your regulations.  And colt100, the regs for Deer and Bear state you need to use bullets that are designed to expand but, last year I did not see that wording anywhere in the small game book.  I challenge you to find it.  If so, I stand corrected.  I know Photoman said he checked with his local DNR guy, but if a guy don't see it in the regs, how would he know?  And what is the logic behind that?  You're telling me you need an "expanding" bullet to hunt rabbits?  And some guys shoot small game with .22's and most of them bullets aren't made to expand.  My point is that even though some say it may be illegal, I'd like to see it in writing for small game.  

I would say the 64's are a good choice though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I would say stay away from the matchkings for hunting javalina.  Legality wize you could probably get away with it, our game wardens aren't going ot know the difference.  Gamekings are a better choice, and should use the same load data.

Oh they taste like gamy pork.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#13]
They sound tasty. Ummmmmm......Javelina(drools) Gamey pork sounds like quite a treat. I can't believe I am fantasizing about eating little deer.... I am going to have to eat me one, but I don't think they have any where I live.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I have used Black hills heavy match 68gr HP for whitetail and feral hogs with no problems.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I use their 52 and 69 grain Matchkings in my .223.  They are not DESIGNED to expand, but they do!  The 52 grain is an explosive varmint bullet, and the 69 grain is excellent for deer.  I have even used the 52 grain for deer before, but I picked my shot carefully.  In Missouri they are considered an expanding bullet, and any centerfire pistol or rifle cartridge with an expanding bullet is legal for deer.  
I do wonder when someone is going to kill a deer with a .25 auto using cast bullets just to see how far they can push this regulation.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top