Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2006 1:46:28 PM EDT
Does anybody know what kind of bullet this is?  I can tell it is a hollow point, but is it sierra matchking or what?

Is this good stuff?  I only found info on 80265.  Is this basically the same?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/mbumgarnerii/hornady80268001Medium.jpg
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
they're listed on hornady's webite if you want to check it out

hornady
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Already read it.  It doesn't tell any specific info though.  It tells me the same info as on box, which is not what I am looking for.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your help Billmanweh.  I appreciate you taking time to give me those links.  Good info.  I guess maybe I should have asked my question a little differently.  

Basically, I was just curious what the differences are between Hornady TAP 80265 and Hornady TAP 80268.

I do appreciate your help though.  

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think there's much difference really.  A couple of those threads compares the two though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't think there's much difference really.  A couple of those threads compares the two though.

This site discusses some of the differences:

hornady.primediaoutdoors.com/HDstory3.html

Hornady developed a special black nickel plating for use on all of the metallic cartridges in the TAP FPD line. It's different in appearance--sort of a shiny black color--but the real reason for using it is a greater smoothness. You can actually feel the difference when you compare it to conventional ammunition.

More smoothness simply means greater reliability. As much time as instructors spend teaching their students to clear malfunctions under stress, they would really prefer to have no malfunctions in the first place. This plating helps. It also means instant identification of your fighting ammo.

TAP FPD ammo is also better in the selection of other components. Powders, for example, are chosen for their low flash characteristics. High-performance ammunition often produces muzzle flash that is so extreme that the shooter has difficulty delivering accurate subsequent shots. Losing a big part of your night vision is not a good thing in a crisis shooting situation.

Although I am not sure, I think the TAP may be crimped while the Match is not.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This site discusses some of the differences:

hornady.primediaoutdoors.com/HDstory3.html

Hornady developed a special black nickel plating for use on all of the metallic cartridges in the TAP FPD line. It's different in appearance--sort of a shiny black color--but the real reason for using it is a greater smoothness. You can actually feel the difference when you compare it to conventional ammunition.

More smoothness simply means greater reliability. As much time as instructors spend teaching their students to clear malfunctions under stress, they would really prefer to have no malfunctions in the first place. This plating helps. It also means instant identification of your fighting ammo.

TAP FPD ammo is also better in the selection of other components. Powders, for example, are chosen for their low flash characteristics. High-performance ammunition often produces muzzle flash that is so extreme that the shooter has difficulty delivering accurate subsequent shots. Losing a big part of your night vision is not a good thing in a crisis shooting situation.

Although I am not sure, I think the TAP may be crimped while the Match is not.

Good read, thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The 75gr TAP FPD that I have is cannelured, I thought that the 75gr BTHP sold as a component, and they bullet they use in their factory Match ammo is non-cannelured?

Anyhow, in case your interested. I chrono'd some 75gr TAP FPD a few days ago. Was 79 outside, humid, low elevation.

24" Wilson Barrel, stainless steel, 1/8

2746 AVE
2733 2716
2706 SD
2669 30

Colt 6520, 16" 1/7 chrome-lined

2638 AVE
2606 2612
2617 SD
2592 17
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The 75gr TAP FPD that I have is cannelured, I thought that the 75gr BTHP sold as a component, and they bullet they use in their factory Match ammo is non-cannelured?

Anyhow, in case your interested. I chrono'd some 75gr TAP FPD a few days ago. Was 79 outside, humid, low elevation.

24" Wilson Barrel, stainless steel, 1/8

2746 AVE
2733 2716
2706 SD
2669 30

Colt 6520, 16" 1/7 chrome-lined

2638 AVE
2606 2612
2617 SD
2592 17

Cool, thanks for sharing. That's about right.   cause they list muzzle velocity at 2790.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top