Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 9:10:54 AM EDT
Currently, there is a reasonable amount of surplus 308 (7.62x51) on the market. Is this likely to be the case for many years, or is the supply likely to dry up fairly soon?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:... All that surplus is definitely drying up, though, and once it's gone, it will be GONE.  ...  -Troy

thanks Troy.  I recently acquired a 308 MBR and I am currently debating obtaining a lot of surplus to last many years, or just biting the bullet and getting a dillon 650 to roll my own, at least for practice.  I will probably obtain several thousand rounds surplus for now, but the 650 just went on the shopping list.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
SA Surplus is the only majorly available stuff right now.  There is a little linked port.... but it is expensive.

The .308 is dryer now (tho still available) than I have seen it in 5 years.... and it hasn't gone up in price all that much.  When it is all gone, it will be MUCH more expensive.  I imagine there will still be some coming in from time to time.... but with the current available cheap SA, I wont take the chance.

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of__308.html

Stock up now, while you still can.

Only thing that sucks... is good reloadable .308 brass is hard to come by.  Once fired .mil if often in bad shape, and most surplus is berdan.  Commercial .308 brass is often crap.  I *really* should have bought a lot more hirt and aussie.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#5]
If I am wrong, all I have done is stocked up on reasonably priced .308 for a while. If I am right in that it is drying up and will rise in price, then I will save $$$ in the future and be able to shoot at a cost I can afford. Even when I did not have a .308 I watched the prices and kinds of surplus out there in that caliber. I don't see anywhere the amount or kinds I used to see. In fact, when I do find some of the "used to be all over" stuff it is priced like it was made out of brass beaten by virgins by the light of the moon. Stupid prices.

Look for good 5.56 surplus................It'll cost you
Look for good 30/06 surplus...............Still out there but not in large amounts
Look for handgun ammo surplussed..................Ha!
In a year or two look for good .308 surplus...............I don't want to pay  what the local shop wants for 20 rounds of just blasting ammo. Somewhere around 50 cents a shot. Ouch.

I will bet that we will rue the day the UN stuck their nose in the Mil-surp ammo supply. Probably sooner rather then later.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Just ordered a couple of cases from AIM  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with Troy...  Not many countries still using .308/7.62 as their MBR.  I think you'll still be able to find a lot of it because most of those countries still use .308/7.62 for their LMGs on the ground and in many vehicles (think of all the M240s on humvees and helicopters - not to mention 7.62 miniguns).  Despite the amount of 7.62 needed, used, and surplused, I think the UN's posture is not helping our cause in the US.  And that presidental order or whatever it was that forbide DoD from surplusing ammo hurts evenmore because we are doing it to ourselves...  Just think of all the taxpayer money wasted on demilling perfectly good ammo that could be sold.  60 Minutes and Dateline would be all over that story if the government found another way to waste that much money.  But since the 2 Amendment is "their enemy" I don't think we'll be seeing much of a flap over ammo demilling...

Oh, I just grabbed up another 3 cases from AIM...  It will go well with my Radway, Port, and Aussie stash I already have...

Spooky
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#9]
The contract I work on has purchased millions of rounds in the last 2 years since DOD no longer is able to support anyone but themselves.  Its mostly crap ammo that I would never shoot in my own guns.   If you have a chance to purchase any Nato Spec ammo of any type its probably best to buy it now and stock it away for a rainy day.  I dont "Plink" anymore, If Im going to shoot there is going to be a training objective and Im going to limit the ammout of milspec ammo I shoot.  For fun I will shoot Black Powder or run a 22 conversion in my AR
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I scored today on some SA 5.56!!! ammo and some AUSSIE clipped and bando'd .308 plus some [good lot] Korean 30/06. 5.56 was a bit high but my ARs LOVE this stuff. at $40 per 200 for the AUSSIE, I bought the only 2 cans he had left. Well worth the trip. Yes I checked the Aussie ammo out as I know about the Indian crap that was put on some by jerks. 1983 Aussie all right. WHOOHOO!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Aussie is very good stuff.  However, the bandoleer ammo, while more accurate than blister pack, is berdan primed.  If you dont reload, no worries.  Most surp is berdan.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Aussie is very good stuff.  However, the bandoleer ammo, while more accurate than blister pack, is berdan primed.  If you dont reload, no worries.  Most surp is berdan.

Nope, I don't reload, I'd rather shoot when I have the time. If surplus dries up I might change my tune tho. It would take many years before I ran out of surplus tho.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#13]
You can reload the Berdan primed...if you're patient.  RCBS makes a tool to dig the primer out that is slow, but works just fine.  If you're loading for a bolt gun, it's worth it.  A gas gun might not be worth it.  (Bolt gun you only have to pull the primer and neck size).
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top