Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 2:41:28 PM EDT
I'm wondering in what conditions that sealed bullet and primer ammo is necessary, and when is it only a 'peace of mind' thing.  When do you need sealed ammo?

I know, when TSHTF, you need to be SURE of your gear.  But, I'd like to keep the discussion reasonable.  If you own a self sufficient compound in Montana with a 5 year MRE stockpile, your definition of SHTF might be different than mine (not wrong, just different).

Sealed ammo:

Long term storage?  Really?  Won't a sealed can and some desiccant work?
How about shooting in the rain?  Will a long heavy downpour make my unsealed ammo not go bang?
How about crossing that creek?  Will a short dunk underwater hurt my unsealed ammo?
What about a boat gun's ammo, repeated splashing with sea water?  Need to be sealed?

I really like AE ammo.  I can get it locally in bulk.  The price is right.  It is reasonably accurate, and would do the job in a fix.  I want my SHTF ammo and my everyday practice ammo to be the same.  If I keep several thousand rounds handy, and replenish what I shoot, I should have plenty of reasonably new ammo if TSHTF.

But AE is not sealed, is it?  How big a deal is that?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, you can stock a 5 year supply of MRE's and you want AE for SHTF ammo??  

BTW what is your rotation like for the MRE supply?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#3]
MMM  Yum MREs
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Sealed primers are mandatory for underwater bumpfiring.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#5]
One time a NASA door gunner told me thats what they ise and so should I

Invisiblesoul
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top