Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2006 6:06:40 AM EDT
I just finally got in a batch of this ammo to try out. Not sure what I expected but so far not too impressed with looks. Have not shot yet but...The 52gr HP Match bullets seemed to have tumbler media in the hollow. WHY? Do they tumble the bullets to make them shine?WHY? this will throw off any of its potential. Not to mention the angle at the neck of the cartridge is rounded on some and does not slide in flush like the angled brass. The minor dented cases is expected. DO I clean out all the bullets or just shoot as is?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoot as is.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just finally got in a batch of this ammo to try out. Not sure what I expected but so far not too impressed with looks. Have not shot yet but...The 52gr HP Match bullets seemed to have tumbler media in the hollow. WHY? Do they tumble the bullets to make them shine?WHY? this will throw off any of its potential. Not to mention the angle at the neck of the cartridge is rounded on some and does not slide in flush like the angled brass. The minor dented cases is expected. DO I clean out all the bullets or just shoot as is?

Shoot as is.  This has come up before.  It is assumed that this is tumbling media... I believe BH tumbles their ammo prior to packagins to clean it up, remove any prints, blems, etc.  No big deal.

There is no discernable accuracy detriment.  I think you will be pleased.... the 52gr BH stuff shoots awesome in every rifle I have.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I assumed they tumbled it to look nice before it shipped. I find that hard to believe that it won't affect accuracy but it is good to hear that you have had good luck with it. ANyone test cleaned vs uncleaned tips? ya think they would just use bigger media, oh well.

How about the rounded necks fitting and shooting, never caused any chambering prob's?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#4]
You wont be able to shoot the difference between bullets with a couple granules of cleaning media and those without. Black hills is good stuff. Shoot it as is.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by rounded necks, but there is an easy way to find out if it works... go shoot some.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a recovering anal retentive who *used* sort my BH blue box 68gr, thinking that the media would adversely affect accuracy.  I can't explain why, but I've yet to see any difference between "clean" or "media included" after many thousands of rounds of the stuff.  

Other than the gift of free used media and the brass (once fired LC versus new), I can tell no discernable difference in performance between the red box or blue box rounds.  You'll be pleased.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Why in the hell would they tumble it, Ive been reloading for years now and have always been told and read in the instructions with my tumbler that you should never tumble the ammo after it is loaded and live for fire?  "Rreason is that it is very dangerous and the ammo can actually discharge while tumbling. So why do they do this and take that chance?

I shoot alot of BH ammo lately and other than the brass being crappy (dented scratched and not worth a crap for reloading) I love the way their lines shoot. The only thing I don't shoot is Wolf, I have heard to many horror stories about how the steel case is hard on the extractor so I just stay away from it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I assumed they tumbled it to look nice before it shipped. I find that hard to believe that it won't affect accuracy but it is good to hear that you have had good luck with it. ANyone test cleaned vs uncleaned tips? ya think they would just use bigger media, oh well.

How about the rounded necks fitting and shooting, never caused any chambering prob's?

What in the he_ _ are you talking about?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why in the hell would they tumble it, Ive been reloading for years now and have always been told and read in the instructions with my tumbler that you should never tumble the ammo after it is loaded and live for fire?  "Rreason is that it is very dangerous and the ammo can actually discharge while tumbling. So why do they do this and take that chance?

ALL commercial ammo manufacturers tumble their ammo clean after loading (except ammo for military contracts).

Why is that caution in your tumbler's instructions?

1.  Lawyers.  This is self-explanitory, right?

2.  Some older European, South American and Soviet ammo can be found loaded with powders that have large, square or rhumbus-shaped granules that are prone to breakage when cleaned in a vibratory cleaner or tumbler.  Breaking down the granules increases the burn rate of the powder and can result in very high pressure spikes.

Modern powders are essentially immune to this problem, within reason, so it isn't a problem.  If it was, don't you think Black Hills or the other manufacturers would know, from experience, that it was?

-Troy

Didn't you hear?  They've been losing about 1 employee every month from the rounds that go off when they tumble them.  That's why the prices just went up!!!!!!!!!  Why haven't they fixed this!!!!!!  That's just insane!!!!  Sorry, it's late for me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I too figured it is dangerous to tumble loaded ammo, just common sense. Just like I don't like any loose ammo rattling around in my pocket when I am out in the woods.  Don't know how much pressure must be applied to a primer to make it go off but still...

I do know a lot of people would complain if they got "Dirty" ammo, the whiners that is and there are a lot of them.

Thanx everyone and "MGinVA", if you've compared both you just saved me from picking clean half of them to compare.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What in the he_ _ are you talking about?

If you can't ask nicely, DON'T ASK!  If you don't know, then learn!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top