Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2006 4:07:11 PM EDT
Sorry if this has come up before but I did a search and got no hits.

Does Black Hills 75 gr ammo have a cannelure?  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
All the 75gr BH ammo I have had either red or blue box was not cannelured.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I was afraid of that and I am interested because I really don't want to chance an over-pressure situation by the projectile getting pushed back into the case.  As I understand it, the Hornady TAP ammo does have this but it seems to be substantially more expensive than BH blue box.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#3]
You had me going for a minute there. I had to go back and check some old threads because I don't have a box in front of me right now. The BH 75gr OTM is cannelured.

Thread to check out:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=266190
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you so much for that info!  I did use the search but with it being limited to subject only and for just 30 days back I suppose my results will naturally be limited.  That helps me to finally decide on my personal defence ammo of choice.  I've got the 1/7 twist so I may as well take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]
None of the old Black Hills 75 grain ammo had cannelures.  All of the newer and current Black Hills 75 grain ammo has cannelures and will from now on.  Box color does not matter.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:23:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
None of the old Black Hills 75 grain ammo had cannelures.  All of the newer and current Black Hills 75 grain ammo has cannelures and will from now on.  Box color does not matter.

From what I understand, all of them do except for the 77's.  Mr. Wilson might know for sure, well in fact I have some and I don't think there is.  Maybe Jeff can confirm but I remember him telling us this before so he's going to get sick of it.  But I'm going from memory. right now

I can definitely see them on the 68's but not on my 77's, I just looked.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Black Hills has the MK262 blems with cannelures. It is a cannelured Sierra 77 grain BTHP but most of the BH 77 grain SMK bullets do not have cannelures. I have not seen cannelured 69 grain BH ammo either.  Then again I have not purchased any in a long time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Black Hills has the MK262 blems with cannelures. It is a cannelured Sierra 77 grain BTHP but most of the BH 77 grain SMK bullets do not have cannelures. I have not seen cannelured 69 grain BH ammo either.  Then again I have not purchased any in a long time.

You got me there.  I was referring to Blue or Red box.  I'm not sure about the 69's now either.  I could've swore one time Jeff said that everthing else has one but the 77's in the red or blue.  The mk262 blems are sort of a special deal.  Military contract.  I should've looked at the 69's I got.  Except they're moly, so I might not see it.  

Either way, I'm 99.9999999% sure the 75's have one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

How do i find out what I have, without pulling the bullet?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Look at it.  If you dont see the cannelure you dont have it. Ihave an old red box and new blue box in fornt of me and the cannelure is clearly visable at the edge of the brass if you look real close.  Is ALMOST covered by the brass but not quite.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#11]
When did they start puting a cannelure on ther 75grn bullets? I have 13 boxes of Black Hills 75grn Blue box that dont have cannelures.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Id say about 9 months to a year ago or so.  I forgot to add that above the old red box has NO cannelure but the newer blue box does.  Age matters, not box color.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Look at it.  If you dont see the cannelure you dont have it. Ihave an old red box and new blue box in fornt of me and the cannelure is clearly visable at the edge of the brass if you look real close.  Is ALMOST covered by the brass but not quite.

What does a cannelure look like?  Sorry, ammo noob.  Does it look like hmmm let me see.....Markings of what a ring clamp look likes?

It's like a bunch of little vertical lines.

I compared my BH 75gr to my XM193.  My BH doesnt have the little lines.  And I just bought this recently too.  Cabela's must have old BH still then.  Unless I'm just dumb.

What does a cannelure do?

Also, what does a "crimp" neck look like?  I cant tell the difference between my XM193 and BH 75.

*edit*

The 3 bullets from the left.  That ring around them, that's the cannelure right?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:30:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I just bought some BH 75gr (blue box) from Midway USA two weeks ago and they don't have a cannelure.  DevL, where did you get your ammo so I can order some too?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does a cannelure look like?  Sorry, ammo noob.  Does it look like hmmm let me see.....Markings of what a ring clamp look likes?

It's like a bunch of little vertical lines.

I compared my BH 75gr to my XM193.  My BH doesnt have the little lines.  And I just bought this recently too.  Cabela's must have old BH still then.  Unless I'm just dumb. hat
Also, what does a "crimp" neck look like?  I cant tell the difference between my XM193 and BH 75.

*edit*

www.ammo-oracle.com/images/rounds3.jpg

The 3 bullets from the left.  That ring around them, that's the cannelure right?

Yes, that is the cannelure
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I just bought some BH 75gr (blue box) from Midway USA two weeks ago and they don't have a cannelure.  DevL, where did you get your ammo so I can order some too?

I believe it went straight from Black Hills to Brouahah to me, possibly a distributor in there somewhere.  He lives down the road from me and asked me if I wanted in on a case and I said yes.  Didnt order through regualr channels but this was months ago.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#17]
The red box 75 grain match hps I bought from Midway about 6 months ago have cannelures.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:37:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I doubt it.  Because they were out of stock about a month ago and the stuff they got in, in my thinking, would be new (talking about midway).  It might be that the bullet is set deep enough that you can't see it.  If you really want to know for sure and you can't see them, call black hills, give them the lot #, and see if it's pre cannelure.  I wouldn't just assume that they aren't.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#19]
BHBB 75gr does have a cannelure. It's just not visible until the bullet is pulled (or I've got a bad lot with too much set-back). Below is a picture of before/after the same round is pulled (note the new plier marks as it was in there tight).

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Hmmmmm, I'm tempted to pull 1 and see.  I randomly checked a few boxes of mine, and they are all not visible.

PS, what's so special about a cannelure?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Helps prevent set back in semi autos.  I cant see mine from the side but if I look from a more top down perspective I see it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top