Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 6:07:44 AM EDT
I was just going to pick up some 180gr Speer Gold Dot for my .40cal handgun as per some recommendations here to test out but then I saw that there appears to be 2 different names. There is the Speer Gold Dot and then there is Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the difference was and if one was better than the other for any reason?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I was unaware there were two different types in .40.  I knew about it in .357 Mag.  Supposedly the bullet leaves the 2" barrels so quickly it cannot burn the powder completely and you wind up with unburnt powder spilling all over.  I don't know if it makes a difference in performance.  If I had to guess how they do it, I would think they would simply use a faster burning powder that still makes the appropriate velocity.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#2]
My understanding is that the SB "Short Barrel" is designed to expand at lower velocities for those with 3" barrelled 1911s and other concealed carry size weapons. I was hoping to try some of the  9mm from my Kahr PM9.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I was planning on using them in 2 Glocks that I have; a model #23 and a #27. Both are 4" or under so I guess I should use the SB stuff.

Does it really matter? Is the SB barrel stuff really any better (or worse) than the standard stuff in barrels 4" or under? Or is this just marketing?

Here is a link to the 2 different rounds at MidwayUSA.com:
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=172640
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=582872
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The short barrel loads are designed to optimize expansion and penetration when fired from short barrels.  Holowpoint bullets designed for standard length barrels typically under-expand (and often over-penetrate as a result) when traveling at the lower velocities produced by the shorter barrels.  

I suppose if one were anticipating engaging in handgun combat at extended ranges (say 50 yards or so), one might consider using the Short Barrel loads out of a full lenght barrel handgun on the theory that at 50 yrds from a full length barrel, the bullet is traveling at about the velocity you would expect from the muzzle of a short barrel handgun.... food for thought.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone ever tested this short barrel stuff to see if it indeed performs better than the standard stuff?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Bump... no one?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My understanding is that the SB "Short Barrel" is designed to expand at lower velocities

Correct.  They are new, and designed for guns with barrels under 4".  For 4" and longer barrels, use the standard loads.

-Troy

Yeah, WTF? So this bullet actually exands at lower velocites than the normal one? Why, don't they just use this bullet in all their loadings then? Does it over expand and thus underpenetrate at higher velocities? I am really confused. I thought the only difference was a different powder blend designed to reach acceptable velocity from a shorter barrel, with the same projectile as the full size loads. Troy, please elaborate or refer me to a source to clear this up.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top