Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2006 11:21:34 AM EDT
According to the NRA-ILA site for Kansas (http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=KS)

It states: "It is unlawful to possess any cartridge which can be fired by a handgun and which has a plastic-coated bullet that has a core of less than 60% lead by weight. This prohibition does not apply to solid plastic bullets."

My question is, is the "SS109" or "Steel Core" ammunition legal here?

New to the AR world, and this is the cheapest stuff I seem to find. But I do want to stay legal.

Any suggestions?  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]
You are good to go. For one thing, M855 is explicitly considered legal. For another, it is not plastic coated (green paint doesn't count). Thirdly, the steel core/penetrator of an M855 projectile weighs only 17 grains, of 62 total. There is no way that the jacket is heavy enough that the core is 60% of the weight.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#2]
So...

What exactly are they trying to prohibit?

Only the .38 Special "Nyclad" remotely fits that description.  EXCEPT that... lead is like 98% of the bullet weight.

There has to be a specific round they are concerned about.

Anyone... anyone... Bueller!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#3]
This forum ROCKS!!! I think that is the fastest reply I have ever seen!!

Jack, thanks..

DasRonin, just make sure you have the TPS coversheet on your reports..    <sip>mmmm, yeah..
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#4]
KTW is coated
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I had forgotten about KTW.

It did not "click" as I did not associate teflon with "plastic coating".

I used to have a quantity of the KTW.  I ordered it when I was on the police department, years before I moved to the feds.

I sold it to a collector a LONG time ago.  I often wish I had never sold it.  I'd love to have kept it for my collection.  Back in the mid 1970s I paid something like $2.00 a round, ordering direct from KTW, with it shipped to my PD.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top