Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2006 6:29:15 PM EDT
I just received the first load of XM 855 green tip ammo from Natchez.  It looks OK ,about as good as any of the bulk stuff that I've gotten in the past but...the green paint is very varied.  On some loads it is smooth and thin, while on others it is gloppy and uneven with raised drips, missing patches etc.  My question is this-should this be cleaned off to help accuracy?  Is it detrimental to accuracy?  I cleaned a couple of rounds by spinning them between my fingers on a wire wheel.  It only takes about 1/4 to 1/2 a second and there is no noticable heat build up, so I assume that there is no major danger, but is it a waste of time?  Any comments would be greatly appreciated!        Thanks!  jd226
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Waste of time, but hey, whatever floats your boat. The M855 is not a match round, its a combat round. I am not saying they aren't accurate, just not accurate enough to have a gob of paint cause fliers in a group.
The stuff Natchez has are QC rejects from Lake City. Some of the rounds may have damage to the brass, varied seating depth on the bullets, or crush damage. I have shot thousands of the XM855PDs, and they run fine.
Just make sure you look the rounds over before loading your mags, and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
but is it a waste of time?     Thanks!  jd226

Unless you are planning on entering them in an art exhibit....

you are wasting your time.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top