Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 4:15:26 PM EDT
I recently bought about 2,000 rounds from wideners. Though marked as IMI, the rounds were .223, not 5.56. I have not seen IMI .223, but have seen 5.56 IMI. The boxes are greish in two quandrants and black in the other two with Isreali Military industries in red. 20 rounds per box.

I wanna know if the stuff I got was genuine IMI, or some lesser quality ammo. Wideners is now sold out of the ammo, but I managed to get 2k of it shipped for 352. It performs perfectly, no flaws whatsoever.  

However, I stored some boxes in a shoelocker, pushed them in pretty tight, and now some have been bent straight down the middle, when opened, there are a few rounds dented, right along the bottleneck, in each box precisely in line with the bending on the box. These folds were not present before the storage, and several boxes were opened up and had cases inspected, these same boxes now had the dented cases after storage. Basically, what I am asking is- Do rounds come severelly dented from IMI, or is this error on my part? (These aren't xm193 pockmarks, but full fedged denting, all along the bottle neck BTW-  Can I shoot this through my new upper?)
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I got 500 rounds of that stuff just before they sold out.  I assume that it is equivilant to the WWB ammo that WalMart sells in the 40 round value boxes which is also made in Israel.  The primer sealant is the same color.  It is .223 Rem., not 5.56mm.  Good stuff though.  I'd be happy to buy more if it comes back.  Beats dropping by WalMart to buy 2 or 3 boxes at a time.

Jeff
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
i was going to order some, til i saw they were all sold out.  I remember them saying, once it's gone, it's gone.

Oh well, picked up some AE 223 locally for a decent price.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a case of it that I bought when it first got to Widender.  Only shot a couple of round of it so far.  Good plinking ammo.  The only difference is not 5.56 and not as hot as xm193.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#4]
So you don't believe the IMI labeled ammunition you got from Widener's was made by IMI? (is this the jest of your post)

Perhaps you should lay off the dope, I think it's messing with your brain.

Mike

ps - unless you were just born that paranoid

as to the rounds you messed up, why not refer to the "dented round info" (old XM193, loose packed stuff) in the Ammo-Faq tacked to the top of this forum to tell whether yours is too severly damaged to shoot, there's good info there.....

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a case of it that I bought when it first got to Widender.  Only shot a couple of round of it so far.  Good plinking ammo.  The only difference is not 5.56 and not as hot as xm193.

+1  Good ammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Good stuff, great price, considering prices as of late. Too bad it's all gone. That's how I felt when botach got rid of all their IMI M193.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So you don't believe the IMI labeled ammunition you got from Widener's was made by IMI? (is this the jest of your post)

Perhaps you should lay off the dope, I think it's messing with your brain.

Mike

ps - unless you were just born that paranoid

as to the rounds you messed up, why not refer to the "dented round info" (old XM193, loose packed stuff) in the Ammo-Faq tacked to the top of this forum to tell whether yours is too severly damaged to shoot, there's good info there.....

Thanks for reminding me about the faq. It looks a bit more dinged up than the rounds shown, but there were only 13 affected at all, and only about 8 of them are badly dented. No other rounds were affected at all, in any way, no matter how minor. I may shoot some of them next weekend. (Whoohoo! 5 more rounds, thats like what, 1/6 of a mag!)

About the paranoid part. I wasn't sure if Wideners was really selling the goood stuff. (I mean, with a price like that, you might check twice too!) About the dented rounds, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to KB my new upper with something as silly as a dented round.

Thanks guys, its a shame wideners doesn't have more. I guess I will have to fall back on Walmart once again...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#8]
it is IMI .223 not IMI 5.56 M193 ammo. It will function in a working order AR it just a tad slower than M193 IMI.

only 100 fired so far out of the 2k I bought.

check model no. on this page  IMI hompage
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
it is IMI .223 not IMI 5.56 M193 ammo. It will function in a working order AR it just a tad slower than M193 IMI.

only 100 fired so far out of the 2k I bought.

check model no. on this page  IMI hompage

You are faring much better than I, Ive managed to burn over 520 rounds so far.

Number checks out, thx.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:03:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Plan on using the ammo for 3 gun and pratice. Can not waste the ammo at out local range, there rules make shooting an ar verry boring.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Plan on using the ammo for 3 gun and pratice. Can not waste the ammo at out local range, there rules make shooting an ar verry boring.

Cant be as bad as mine.  Only ONE round allowed in a rifle at all times.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:03:32 AM EDT
[#12]
not its is not we can load no more than 3 on the state ranges. Pistol they alow 6.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't have any of this item. But would it be the same as IMI made Winchester value packs made by IMI and sold at WallyWorld? Just quarious... Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top