Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 4:43:32 PM EDT
I just picked up an SP1 on trade and all I have is 62gr ammo. Will this combo work well or is the rifling in the SP1 to slow to stabalize the 62 gr ammo?

It seems some time ago I read the thread with pics showing some rounds going through a target sideways. I do not remember if it was 62. or something heavier that the guy was shooting.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It's possible, but I kinda doubt it. give it a try and see.

I had a bolt gun w/1 in 12 would not stabilize 60grn vmax but liked berger 64grn HPFB's
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends.  Just what do you have?  1:12 will stabilize Wolf Poly 62s, but not M855.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Depends.  Just what do you have?  1:12 will stabilize Wolf Poly 62s, but not M855.

Sam

M855 is longer than the other 62's due to the fact that it has a STEEL penetrator in the tip.  Steel weighs less than lead.  Therefore it is longer  than and ALL lead 62 grain bullet.  My guess is, there's a good chance it will stabalize like the wwb 62 grainers.  But I have no experience to back it up.

What kind of 62 grainers do you have???  And even if it is M855, all you have to do is shoot and and see.  It's not going to blow your barrel up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
As previously stated, you should be ok with regular 62 grain rounds like Wolf or WWB, but the 62 grain M-855 is much longer due to the fact that it has a partial steel core.  I remember hearing that the M-855/SS-109 bullet is as long as an all lead 70 grain bullet.  It may have been 71 or 72 grain or something like that.  I'm sure someone will come along shortly and say for sure.  

Either way, no harm in trying it out - you won't blow up the barrel.

-K
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
what I have is both Winchester m855 as well as Radway green SS109's
I will be shooting the Radway since the Winchester is my Stockpile (shtf)  ammo.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The Radway SS-109 should have about the same bullet as the M-855, so It's not likely to give you any better performance in a 1:12 barrel.

-K
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The Radway SS-109 should have about the same bullet as the M-855, so It's not likely to give you any better performance in a 1:12 barrel.

-K

M855 IS the ss109 bullet.  

Gungho 1989.  Please do a range report.  The military states you should only use M855 out of A1's in case of emergency and I bet a bunch of us want to know if it will stabalize.  If you could test it in different yardages.  Like 25,50,75,100 etc, etc, and see when and if it starts to keyhole.  We may be pleasantly surprised or not so pleasantly surprised.  Either way pretty please post results. !!!!!!  This would be good info.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#8]
A 1/12 twist will surely stabilize a M855 62 grain bullet out to 10-20 yds.  

No need to do the range report.  M855 consistently keyholes at 25m (zero range) when fired from an A1.  It made for a long day being the RSO.  Imagine pushing 450 Med BN soldiers through a zero range firing the wrong ammo.  Not my fault, but no one made it to the qual range.  No one even qualified using the 25m alternate qual table.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sam

M855 is longer than the other 62's due to the fact that it has a STEEL penetrator in the tip.  Steel weighs less than lead.  Therefore it is longer  than and ALL lead 62 grain bullet.  My guess is, there's a good chance it will stabalize like the wwb 62 grainers.  But I have no experience to back it up.

What kind of 62 grainers do you have???  And even if it is M855, all you have to do is shoot and and see.  It's not going to blow your barrel up.

+1
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

Gungho 1989.  Please do a range report.  The military states you should only use M855 out of A1's in case of emergency and I bet a bunch of us want to know if it will stabalize.  If you could test it in different yardages.  Like 25,50,75,100 etc, etc, and see when and if it starts to keyhole.  We may be pleasantly surprised or not so pleasantly surprised.  Either way pretty please post results. !!!!!!  This would be good info.

I will try to get out this weekend hopefully Sunday. I will make sure to take the Digital along and get some pics of the bullet strikes on the targets.
Thanks guys for the info and advice.
Gung
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

I will try to get out this weekend hopefully Sunday. I will make sure to take the Digital along and get some pics of the bullet strikes on the targets.
Thanks guys for the info and advice.
Gung

You Da man!!!  FWIW, I don't have a 1/12 but my brother is thinking about getting a Fulton Armory A1 and it's just something some of us would like to know.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]
M855, 25 meters, 1/12 twist.....keyholes all over the place.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Radway Green SS109 at 100 yds in a Colt lightweight 1/12 twist barrel, the end result was all over the paper on a SR-1 target. I do not recommend it for a 1/12 barrel.

55gr TZZ Iraeli surplus was all in the black at 100 yds. Stick with 55gr.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#14]
You can try, as you can see people have had different experiences so it's a YMMV situation as to how bad it will shoot in your rifle.  In my 1-12 GI barrel, LC 855 makes it 100 yds but the group is pretty big and the holes show bullets are starting to tip but not keyholing.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Isn't it something how every barrel is different!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Just returned from a freinds house where we did some shooting. The SP1 definatly did not like the 62gr Radway green ammo! keyholes at 25 meters 50 - 100 I think the bullets were striking backwards!? Its all we can figure since at 25 we were hitting way off kilter and further out the hits actually looked cleaner but not striaght by any means.

Picked up 80rnds of 55 gr Winny white box and actually shot some pretty decent groups. I will try to get up some pics of all the different targets this week.

Something I didnt understand at all though was the rifle didnt like even cycling the Radway. It would short over the mag ejecting spent case but missing the next round. ( I panicked for a few seconds thinking it was the ammo) We put the Radway through two of my buddies AR's and they Ran fine and shot pretty well on paper. Whew thought I got into some shit ammo there for a sec. Anyway the fact that the SP1 cycled the 55gr well but didnt the 62 is still a mystery to me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just returned from a freinds house where we did some shooting. The SP1 definatly did not like the 62gr Radway green ammo! keyholes at 25 meters 50 - 100 I think the bullets were striking backwards!? Its all we can figure since at 25 we were hitting way off kilter and further out the hits actually looked cleaner but not striaght by any means.

Picked up 80rnds of 55 gr Winny white box and actually shot some pretty decent groups. I will try to get up some pics of all the different targets this week.

Something I didnt understand at all though was the rifle didnt like even cycling the Radway. It would short over the mag ejecting spent case but missing the next round. ( I panicked for a few seconds thinking it was the ammo) We put the Radway through two of my buddies AR's and they Ran fine and shot pretty well on paper. Whew thought I got into some shit ammo there for a sec. Anyway the fact that the SP1 cycled the 55gr well but didnt the 62 is still a mystery to me.

Wow, keyholing even at 25 yards.  I guess yours don't like it!!!  Glad to hear some other stuff shot well though!  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, keyholing even at 25 yards.  I guess yours don't like it!!!  Glad to hear some other stuff shot well though!

Bullets are more likely to keyhole at shorter ranges than longer. The longer it stays in flight the more it stabilizes. My 62gr ammo was keyholing out to 150 yds with full bullet profiles through the paper and stabilized at 200yds with round holes in the target but accuracy was shit. I put on a 1:7 twist barrel and all were stable even at point blank ranges.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I think Radway is British and designed for their Bullpup rifles. They needed lower pressure for their design, and some rifles supposedly just don't cycle well on the lower pressure Radway.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I would think you would need 55 grn or under for a 1/12 I am assuming (I know bad idea on here its a 20" barrel)  .  Simple answer is try it and find out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I have seen someone shoot the 62 gr M855 out of a 1/12 twist, and it tumble with in 25 yards.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have seen someone shoot the 62 gr M855 out of a 1/12 twist, and it tumble with in 25 yards.

Thats normal. It takes a faster spin (1:7- 1:8- 1:9) to stabilize the longer bullet. They wont fly straight until about 200yds (if at all) out of a slow twist(1:12) barrel.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top