Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/19/2006 8:41:36 PM EDT
I am cheap so therefor I re-use everything.  My question is how do you dry out Silica Gel packs in the oven?  I have heard of it being done but I was wondering if anyone had time and temp combinations?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the microwave, at a 2 or 3 setting on the power, cook it until it's not hot and steamy anymore (5-7 minutes or so).  With a glass of water or something in the microwave to absorb some of the excess energy.  Silica itself doesn't seem to absorb microwave energy, only the water.

I think the oven method is like 300 degrees for 30-45 minutes IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I use the microwave, at a 2 or 3 setting on the power, cook it until it's not hot and steamy anymore (5-7 minutes or so).  With a glass of water or something in the microwave to absorb some of the excess energy.  Silica itself doesn't seem to absorb microwave energy, only the water.

Wouldn't the water vapor cooking off further contaminate the Silica?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't the water vapor cooking off further contaminate the Silica?

You're heating the water that's already in the silica and driving it out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Way back in the early 1980s, when I was working on Air Force radios, we received repaired modules from  the depot.  They were packed with dessicant packs of a certain capacity, and these fabric bag packages had printed instructions for how to "recharge" them.  Basically, they called for putting them in an oven and baking them for a while at a low temperature to drive out the absorbed water.

I don't bother with that stuff anymore.  I put "crystal" cat litter in fabric bags I make from cheap remnants at fabric stores and sew them up.  If they aren't still really "crunchy" sounding when they're handled, indicating they have absorbed some water, I pull the thread closing up the bag, dump the contents in the trash, and refill them.  It's inexpensive and it doesn't take much (< 1 cup for a 40mm ammo can) to protect a large volume.  Problem solved.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top