Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/19/2006 4:34:58 PM EDT
was wondering if theres a cheap way to lock up a .50cal / .30cal ammo can without sacraficing too much interior space?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Get some self tapping screws and a cheapo hasp from home despot, and sink them in to the side and lock leaf. watterproof the screws backside with some silicon, and pad the front of the box with a used mouse pad. There you go.. all ready for a car lock box, or Jeep lock box. Been there done it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks, and I am thinking tapping a hole for a cable tie to the car seat / frame..etc..

still searching for other ideas...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Drilled two holes to fit a u-bolt and then drilled /cut/filed a slot in the can flap to fit, loctited the threads and nuts on the inside of the can.  You could seal it around the holes and keep most of the water proof feature.  Takes about 15 minutes and costs about 50 cents or so. then you can put just about any lock on the can.

You can't get the nuts inside the can off unless the can is open and if it's open, no need to take the nuts off.

I've also used a variant of this to fasten an ammo can to the side of the front seat of my truck.  Add some padding and then I've got a lockable container that meets the CA Penal Code requirements.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:03:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes. Get some self tapping screws and a cheapo hasp from home despot, and sink them in to the side and lock leaf. watterproof the screws backside with some silicon, and pad the front of the box with a used mouse pad. There you go.. all ready for a car lock box, or Jeep lock box. Been there done it.

I installed the hasp sections so they stuck thru the front "flat closing latch" on the large 50 cal cans when it was secured, and the lock goes on the part that sticks thru the flat latch.  I used small BOLTS, instead of having sharp points sticking into the interior.  And then used some large chain to "daisy chain" the locked ammo cans together.  BE SURE to buy locks that are keyed alike, it WILL save you some time later...

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
How about some pics...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Instead of screws or bolts, you might consider using steel pop rivets of the appropriate length. Just make sure the hasp you use doesn't have pre-drilled holes much in excess of 1/8" diameter.
FWIW
YMMV
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I also use the hasp method, elongate the hole in the lid latch and use 4 bolts with metalic lock nuts on inside sealed with silicon. Works good and is easy.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw somewhere on the web that you could by this gadget that goes on your can that enables you to lock it.  I see if I can find it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
was wondering if theres a cheap way to lock up a .50cal / .30cal ammo can without sacraficing too much interior space?

thanks

Go to www.armygear.net .Look under ammo cans/ammo can assessories and you will see what you are looking for. They also SELL like new condition ammo cans.........
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks

Go to www.armygear.net .Look under ammo cans/ammo can assessories and you will see what you are looking for. They also SELL like new condition ammo cans.........

Ya!  This is what is saw the other day.
https://www.armygear.net/ag/store/0517.html
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Great ideas people, thanks..

I seemed to favor the eye-bolt method, where you put a regular lock on it and use it as a a travel box or cable-lock it to your car as in-car lock box. I sure have a few gun locks around that I can put to use!!! Cheap!! a eye bolt, lock washer, a nut, about $1 to get it done!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I've done a few cans the way 1IV indicated (hasps & such)  It works, but the cost & time don't make it worth it for ammo.  I only use my hasp locked cans for C&R handguns with their ammo.

To secure the other cans I use these REALLY long (3' +) grey zip ties I get from Home Depot (about 10 ties per package).  Yeah they are one time use, but they don't take up much room, they are light, and they keep the can sealed until you really NEED it (then you better have a knife).
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:28:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Great ideas people, thanks..

I seemed to favor the eye-bolt method, where you put a regular lock on it and use it as a a travel box or cable-lock it to your car as in-car lock box. I sure have a few gun locks around that I can put to use!!! Cheap!! a eye bolt, lock washer, a nut, about $1 to get it done!

Yep! this is the cheapest way to go. I think I'm going to try and do a few
www.alpharubicon.com/bovstuff/lockingammocant.htm
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Made myself 3 eye-bolt-lock set up, cut off the extra bolt sticking out from the nut.

Not much of a handyman myself, so what do you use to cover that nut/bolt on the inside? something that's kinda soft so it doesn't scratch the mags or my hand in/out of the can...

I was thinking a wad of gum or playdough?is there such thing as a plastic/ rubber "nut cap"??
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top