Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/17/2006 3:05:38 PM EDT
1:9 twist, 24" barrel
I'm looking for ammo which gives me all the above in one cartridge.
I do not shoot much and want to buy 1000 rds for starters and sight in my new gun just once and have a bullet which does it all if it comes to it.
Black Hills blue is an option but which one?
XM193 I read is OK but only for practice.

Thanks,
Chuck
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
BHBB 52 gr. MHP and the 50 gr. V-Max both shoot about the same in my RRA 24" Varmit (consistent .75 MOA). Not sure which one would be more suitable for hunting but I usually buy the 52 gr. because its cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
1:9 twist, 24" barrel
I'm lokking for ammo which gives me all the above in one cartridge.
I do not shoot much and want to buy 1000 rds for starters and sight in my new gun just once and have a bullet which does it all if it comes to it.
Black Hills blue is an option but which one?
XM193 I read is OK but only for practice.

Thanks,
Chuck

Yes, but you might want to determine which one is accurate before buying 1000 rounds.  Every barrel likes different bullets.  Regardless of  quality of the round.  If you buy 1000 rounds of black hills 52 bthp (which in my experience has been a steller peformer) and your barrel doesn't like it and shoots it 2 moa all day.  You won't be happy.  Try a few different kinds first in smaller quantities then, BAM, order the ones that meet yours AND the barrels criteria.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:36:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi Chuck,
    I have a Bushy 24" Varminter. It liked 69 gr. Sierra BTHPs for targets (0.3-0.5" @100yds)and 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips (0.4-0.6"@100yds) for varmints. I settled on the 69 gr Sierra BTHP for all around use, but this bullet is not intended for deer hunting. Ammo hand loaded in Wilson dies and bullet runout checked on Sinclair Concentricity Gauge. Average runout is 0.004".
    JJREA gave you very good advice on ammo selection. "Try it before you buy it". Get a good scope and solid mounts. I used a Leupold AO 4.5X14X50 in the Mark 4 mounts.
                                                         Good luck,
                                                         Carey

Edit with actual group sizes and handloading equipment used.    
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the hints and please keep it coming.
It will be a Leupold VXI 3x9 with Leupold rings.
I guess I buy 3 different cartridges of Black Hills 2 boxes each to start.
Which ones should I get?
I want to settle on one then to keep it simple.
Chuck
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want pure varmit killing rounds, you can also try the 45gr. Winchester .223s.

They were pretty accurate out my 20" Oly.

For paper punching I just use the 52gr Match Black Hills.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Where do I find something about Black Hills 60gr Soft Point?
Who makes the bullet, for what, any good?
Chuck
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#8]
.223 Winchester 45g varmint ammo is the best out of my 24" bushy.  It's cheap and accurate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#9]
My Bushmaster Varminter likes Black Hills 68 gr Heavy Match HP's the best.  Give them a try.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I talked to Black Hills.
He said 60gr Softpoint is a good compromise for my demand but has 1-1.5" groups at 100yd.
60gr V-max has good accuracy but everybody knows no penetration, good for varmints.
68gr BTHP, here 68gr Match HP I guess, would be the best in accuracy and I read some good comments about deer up to 300yd and varmints up to 700yd.
I ordered 2 boxes of 55FMJ to break in the barrel prior testing, one box each of Vmax and 68gr Match HP.
I will keep you updated how it works out.

Thanks for all further advice - I need it.
Chuck
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:17:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Keep us informed with your findings there are alot of people out there with the same needs and none of us want to break the bank

I am far from what I would call a highly experianced shooter. Here is a little background I am shooting a very low mileage Superior Arms Ar with a 20 Varmint barrel. I sighted in with Win. super X 55gr. soft point. it only took 4 shots to get it dialed in @ 100yrds. then took a 4 shot group that you could cover with a 1/2 dollar.... all this from a gun rest to take out most of the human element. Then switched to a 50 gr. Ballistic silvertip shot a 5 shot group that grouped well but was about 3 inches up and right????? this also at 100yds.... To me this makes no sense as to why the diffence in zero..... Please any help would be appreciated!!!
The silver tip is coated with a Lubalox (Black oxide)coating... Which makes a little sense because I shot 10 shots of wolf though it last weekend and it was all over the place... So is it best to sight it in to shoot the cheaper stuff then try to find a ballistic tip that is closer to zero for Coyote??

Thanks,
Brent

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a similar setup 24" bushy v-match. I am also using BH ammo. I have used 69 and 75 grain matchking HP's and so far I have had the best results with the 75 grain. Shot a dime size group of three shots with it, but only at 50 yds ranges are not that easy to come by where I live. Does anyone know the best place to get BH ammo, I got mine from Fulton armory but I did not know if there was somewhere else that sold it too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Go into this forum (Ammunition), on top is a thread about ammo prices, on the bottom of that you find BH dealers.
I ordered mine at Fulton - they where the cheapest.
Chuck
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top